Changes requested for Traffic Cops (again)

Discuss ongoing matters concerning the application of site policies, or the policies themselves, here.
Forum rules
This sub-forum is for the discussion of site policy and the handling thereof ONLY.
Please direct all change requests to the main forum.
brossow

Re: Traffic Cops Unlocked

Postby brossow » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:35 pm

FWIW, The Force looks like it's set up wrong here. I wouldn't use that as a guide, since it doesn't follow the network naming and numbering and should probably be changed.

Jammi3D

Re: Traffic Cops Unlocked

Postby Jammi3D » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:36 pm

brossow wrote:Why not? Because the rules here say we follow what the network says. They say it's series 6. Why? No idea. I don't like it, but it doesn't mean I can overrule Channel 5. :/

If you want to follow rules than your proposal is also wrong.

Creating a new show Traffic Cops 2018 and starting from Series 6 is also stupid, members will think it's an incomplete show and start editing not to mention no doubt Channel 5 will change naming next Series so again will be a new listing.

As it's the same show just different network why not just carry on the series?

The force is correct and matches the sky listing, the episodes are named to match the name changes per series rather than creating a new listing for each Series .... imo Traffic Cops should be named the same way.

ashp

Re: Changes requested for Traffic Cops (again)

Postby ashp » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:28 am

What is suggested for series 2 of "All NewTraffic Cops" as that is shown as series 2 of "traffic cops" on channel 5 website
http://www.channel5.com/show/traffic-cops/

perspicacia

Postby perspicacia » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:48 am

ashp wrote:What is suggested for series 2 of "All NewTraffic Cops" as that is shown as series 2 of "traffic cops" on channel 5 website

Same goes for Series 1 of "All New Traffic Cops" (currently being re-shown on Spike) - this has also been re-branded as just "Traffic Cops"

Please can someone sort all this out. Surely there should be just two listings - one for when the show was on BBC and one for Channel 5?

Currently the latest episode (S6E1 on Channel 5 listing) has been entered in as Traffic Cops On the Edge S01E07

brossow

Postby brossow » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:38 am

ashp wrote:What is suggested for series 2 of "All NewTraffic Cops" as that is shown as series 2 of "traffic cops" on channel 5 website

Nope. Still All New Traffic Cops. Check any random episode on My5.tv (Channel 5's streaming website, again the source of truth), e.g. S02E18 (screenshot below for your convenience).

I know what the series heading currently says on the Channel 5 website, but if you follow the link to any episode (like the one above) you'll see how it was originally -- and continues to be -- listed on My5. Further, if you do a search for "traffic cops" on My5, you'll see three different results: the current series they've numbered 6 under the Traffic Cops name, plus All New Traffic Cops and Traffic Cops: On the Edge, each treated as a distinct series with distinct season/episode numbering. Yes, it's really dumb, and I have no idea why they've done this -- nor do I need to know. That they've done it is sufficient for this discussion.

Also to your point, TheTVDB goes by how the episodes originally aired, not how they may have been repackaged later on, even by the same network. You can reference (for example) this topic where other series have done screwy things, yet TheTVDB follows the original broadcast.

I want to be clear: I don't like how Channel 5 has screwed around with the series name, season numbering, etc. It's a real PITA. But that's inconsequential per TheTVDB rules as I understand them. Not sure what else I can say.

TL;DR = Channel 5 has changed the series name and season numbering again. As sucky as it may be, they decide series names and numbers, not us.

perspicacia

Postby perspicacia » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:35 pm

brossow wrote:

Nope. Still All New Traffic Cops. Check any random episode on My5.tv (Channel 5's streaming website, again the source of truth), e.g. S02E18 (screenshot below for your convenience).

I know what the series heading currently says on the Channel 5 website, but if you follow the link to any episode (like the one above) you'll see how it was originally -- and continues to be -- listed on My5. Further, if you do a search for "traffic cops" on My5, you'll see three different results: the current series they've numbered 6 under the Traffic Cops name, plus All New Traffic Cops and Traffic Cops: On the Edge, each treated as a distinct series with distinct season/episode numbering. Yes, it's really dumb, and I have no idea why they've done this -- nor do I need to know. That they've done it is sufficient for this discussion.

Also to your point, TheTVDB goes by how the episodes originally aired, not how they may have been repackaged later on, even by the same network. You can reference (for example) this topic where other series have done screwy things, yet TheTVDB follows the original broadcast.

I want to be clear: I don't like how Channel 5 has screwed around with the series name, season numbering, etc. It's a real PITA. But that's inconsequential per TheTVDB rules as I understand them. Not sure what else I can say.

TL;DR = Channel 5 has changed the series name and season numbering again. As sucky as it may be, they decide series names and numbers, not us.

So after all that how would you suggest the latest episode (channel 5 calls it Traffic Cops S6E1) be listed here?

brossow

Postby brossow » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:57 pm

perspicacia wrote:So after all that how would you suggest the latest episode (channel 5 calls it Traffic Cops S6E1) be listed here?

If we're going to follow the rules, I already offered my suggestion yesterday:

brossow wrote:[...] Given this, it seems the correct option would be to create a new "Traffic Cops (2018)" series and start it at season 6 to match their naming/numbering system.

Yes, it's nonsensical and confusing, but Channel 5 is now calling it simply Traffic Cops, and they say it's season 6. The rules here are pretty clear: We can't change the name and/or season numbering just to fit our needs. If we bend the rules, it wouldn't be too far outside of the prescribed norms to rename All New Traffic Cops to Traffic Cops (2018). Seasons 1-2 could remain as is, and season 6 would be added to match Channel 5's numbering. There would be no seasons 3-5, and Traffic Cops: On the Edge would stay where it is, since Channel 5 clearly considers it a separate series starting the numbering over at season 1. Either way, ideally we could get XEM updated so the scene numbering gets mapped to whatever TheTVDB settles on; I'm not holding my breath for that, as I've had zero luck getting any sort of response from XEM re: similar inquiries.

The easiest thing would be to go against all the rules and just merge everything into the original Traffic Cops series and use the scene numbering. As much as this would simplify things for me personally in organizing my shows, it goes completely against TheTVDB's rules about such things. I'm not suggesting it for that reason.

I'm not saying there's a brilliant solution for this; I don't like any of these options for various reasons. I am saying an admin should make a decision that gets documented and followed.

perspicacia

Postby perspicacia » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:57 am

Admin don't appear to be responding so have created "Traffic Cops (2018)" and added first 2 episodes just as Channel 5 list them - S6E1 & S6E2.

brossow

Postby brossow » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:04 am

Waiting for an admin to provide input may have been a better move. Alas....

perspicacia

Postby perspicacia » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:52 am

brossow wrote:Waiting for an admin to provide input may have been a better move. Alas....

Think you could be waiting a long time. At least this way it is listed according to the rules and can be scrobbled. If admin eventually want to weigh in and change things into something a bit simpler then all the better.

Someone added the latest episode as ep7 of "Traffic Cops on the Edge" which I requested be deleted https://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=49809&p=136015&hilit=Traffic+cops#p136015 and the moderator obviously agreed as it is deleted and my entry has been left.