8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown season 11

Discuss ongoing matters concerning the application of site policies, or the policies themselves, here.
Forum rules
This sub-forum is for the discussion of site policy and the handling thereof ONLY.
Please direct all change requests to the main forum.
BagronkeN

Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:30 am

Hi!

The episode titling of 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown has been discussed before:

...most recently here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28904
...with a reference to a mod discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19941

The "problem" has been that people add the guest stars to the episode title, which creates duplicate/redundant data. Mod furby opened up for a exemption for titles like this (talk shows / panel shows that doesn't have proper titles), but all previous seasons of this show has been renamed to "Episode XX" and locked (by mod Maretoh), so presumably no exemption was made in the end.

Season 11 is now complete of this show. Can we now change the titles of the episodes to "Episode XX" and lock the season?

Alternatively all past episode titles should be renamed to include the guests stars so all seasons are consistent.

(I have tried to change the episodes to the "Episode XX" format, but user Jammi3D keeps renaming them, so we could need a "ruling" here to set things straight for upcoming seasons.)

Link to season 11: https://thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesi ... 4505&lid=7

Thanks!
chwynn

Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:21 pm

Hey, I agree that consistency should be observed, but I'm the guy from 2014 in the above post. Just came here to weigh anchor.

The reason that I was given is that all episodes had the title of "Episode XX" on the official channel 4 website. Actually, if you check that now:http://www.channel4.com/programmes/8-ou ... sode-guide
all episodes are called "8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown", so we can either go along with the insanity of meticulously following the rules (even when they obviously should have an exception) and rename every episode to "8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown", (To follow Channel 4's naming convention), or we could change the titles to something meaningful, like the names of the guest stars.

It is pointless and meaningless to call an episode "Episode XX", when we have an episode number field for that. I mean, apart from the obvious, its also bad database practice to duplicate data like that. So can we end this madness, and get a ruling on this please?
BagronkeN

Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:03 pm

I totally agree with chwynn.

"Episode XX" seems like the unspoken standard for when there isn't an actual title of an episode, which is quite common even outside talk shows / panel shows. I guess this is because scraping an episode without a title (eg to Kodi) looks weird on most setups. Naming all the episodes the same thing (the series name) doesn't help much.

But yes, technically this is also redundant / duplicate information just as chwynn describes :)

Consistency is key, so please just let us know how series without episode titles should be handled.

Thanks again!
chwynn

Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:54 am

I'm just going to resurrect this because its really irritating. Could we get some mod attention up in here?

Also, everytime I see the subtitle on your site, it makes me smile. "An open database for television fans"

"THIS WAS LOCKED AT A SERIES LEVEL..."
chwynn

Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:22 pm

Hundreds of thousands of users and not a mod in sight.
2fst4u

Tue May 02, 2017 12:15 pm

Season 13 and 12 data is now being replicated. Are the new episodes season 12 or 13?

This really needs to be unlocked.