Same series, new name (every year!)

Discuss ongoing matters concerning the application of site policies, or the policies themselves, here.
Forum rules
This sub-forum is for the discussion of site policy and the handling thereof ONLY.
Please direct all change requests to the main forum.
Maretoh

Re: Same series, new name (every year!)

Postby Maretoh » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:38 pm

Yes very helpful, since it's a manual job anyway. You can go ahead and continue, thanks for your work.
But as I said, please keep the original titles for the episodes.
Also don't blank out episodes on the entries that'll be deleted, that's no use.
I'm adding the aliases.
An episode a day keeps the doctor away.

Maretoh

Postby Maretoh » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:55 pm

All good, I pulled the other entries.
I've also updated the Specials so they appear in the right place.
Thanks for moving the datas and artwork.

hannah_banana22

Postby hannah_banana22 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:54 am

Sorry to revive an old-ish topic - just had a question regarding this specific series...

I was wondering if it would be possible to keep the name consistent for this series... it would make sense for my organisation system, but obviously needs to work for thetvdb in general!

I was thinking along the lines of HBO Documentary Series - the overall show would be "Educating..." and each season would be the region-specific series.

There is somewhat of a case for this in the Channel 4 press pack for the show (http://www.channel4.com/info/press/pres ... press-pack) - towards the bottom, they mention "Praise for previous ‘Educating…’ series"

Each season focuses on a different location, but it's clearly part of a continuing series, with narration, production etc consistent from season to season.

Anyway just a suggestion - if this would fit with policy I'm happy to make the changes.

Thanks!
Hannah

DarklightIndigo
Leo of the East Bay

Postby DarklightIndigo » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:12 am

Problem being, season titles aren't supported yet, and retitling every episode is a hideous workaround...

Of course, I'm not averse to something like this, and aliasing each season back to the revised title, but it runs contrary to policy that basically dates to ATHF.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

hannah_banana22

Postby hannah_banana22 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:54 am

Actually having read the site rules again, does it not qualify for this type of listing under the "documentaries" category anyway?

I use TVDB for Plex metadata - I'm finding it a little cumbersome to have to go back & rename all my files each year to match the new title of the series. Depending on other use-case scenarios, there may be lots of others whose metadata suddenly vanishes when an existing name no longer matches! Am not sure what else people use TVDB for outside of metadata for HTPC, so I might be wrong, but I'd imagine retrospective changes to old material is an undesirable scenario?

Season titles can be worked around by incorporating into the episode name - obviously not ideal, but I'm happy to do so if that's ok?

hannah_banana22

Postby hannah_banana22 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:59 am

Actually thinking about it further, it may have more in common with something like American Horror Story - an anthology series with season names that change year to year.

Is there enough of that sort of content happening that warrants a separate policy for anthology series?

Maretoh

Postby Maretoh » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:12 am

I'm not against changing the main title to "Educating..." leaving the others as aliases. As for the episode titles, I'd leave them as is though, since this is how Channel 4 lists them.

hannah_banana22

Postby hannah_banana22 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:22 am

In the interests of making them a little more informative wouldn't it be worth adding the location? Or just rely on the appropriate location-specific season artwork?

Maretoh

Postby Maretoh » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:49 am

I know this isn't ideal, but until we can provide Season titles I'd leave it as is and indeed relay on the artwork, since the location isn't part of the title.
You talked about AHS earlier, and the subtitle isn't used either on the episode titles.
Usually the new Series title is used as main title when series tend to change them every year. Maintaining the title "Educating..." with the locations as AKA (and only because Channel 4 does use it) seems like a compromise.
But I'd see what others think about it.

dbd

Postby dbd » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:03 am

We ought'd to 'rely on season images' because these mightn't be readable by a screen-reader.

Return to “Policy Inquiries”