Mythbusters Season Update 07/23/2015

Discuss ongoing matters concerning the application of site policies, or the policies themselves, here.
Forum rules
This sub-forum is for the discussion of site policy and the handling thereof ONLY.
Please direct all change requests to the main forum.
hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Re: Mythbusters Season Update 07/23/2015

Postby hikaricore » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:01 pm

seantnichols wrote:Please consider changing back. Season 20XX makes 0 sense to me... I see nothing wrong with the traditional method of "SxxExx" as EVERYTHING is built around scanning that model. I've been trying to figure out for a while now why sickbeard and Plex suddenly stopped working with just Mythbusters and then I find this... my first thought was, "who screwed it up this time?" but after some digging I see that unlike some other database sites, only mods can change info here. so... you guys screwed it up. :P seriously though, I don't get it. I guess I could switch to another provider but I like tvdb because (until now) it has been the most reliable and accurate. I'm stomping my foot in rage because the only question I can come up with is, "why?" Anyway, hopefully my little tantrum here won't fall on deaf ears. Please at least consider it. so many broken things now.

TheTVDb is still reliable and accurate source. The official website lists the series by year and we're matched to that. We made a viable change to a series based on the only source which actually matters. If plex can't handle year season then you need to take it up with them as most modern scrapers are fully capable. The listing here will not be changing.

seantnichols

Postby seantnichols » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:22 pm

Just because a TV channel web site has chosen to make a ridiculously stupid change to the listing of their show does not mean it makes sense to do so here. Most of those web sites seem to be afterthoughts to the channel. Most of the time I find myself wondering why they even tried to make a site at all. I am not exaggerating when I say that every single media center application in the world uses the SxxExx model first and foremost, and you know it.

Sometimes making a judgement call based on logic and common sense outweighs what some doof did to their corporate site, and isn't that the real power of a community site? to fix what is wrong with corporate trash that is thrown at us. We build media centers and sites like tvdb to supplement the crap out there and make it our own. Taking it up with Plex isn't the right way to go. I would have to take it up with XBMC, Sickbeard, couchpotato, and on and on. I did some research this morning and found many people on the sickbeard forums who were just as mad about the random changes to date formats and the fact that the entire show gets locked at the series level so no changes can be made. I understand wanting things to not get all screwed up like they are over at themoviedb.org but at least listen to and consider your users opinions and concerns without just saying, "the listing here will not be changing." Also maybe do some research outside of your own forum. Making a date change like that should not be a light decision and you can find pissed off people on every other media center related forum just by searching "mythbusters." I found several people saying things like, "tvdb screwed it all up again." or "I can't understand why X app won't scan mythbusters anymore!" Half the time these media center application users aren't savvy enough to know that their TV info comes from tvdb, all they know is they install Plex/XBMC and the tv show appear like magic. It's not fair to everyone else who relies on YOUR data.

Please consider the change back to "normal" and don't just stomp your foot in protest, as I seem to have done i'll admit but I feel I have a good case to do so.

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:48 pm

The matter was discussed among the admins many times and a discussion was opened to the community for well over a month before a final decision was made. XBMC is fully capable of scraping with the current listing and all major automation services have exception functions for cases like this. I'm sorry that you and the vocal minority disagree, but thetvdb has always been about accuracy first and foremost. Again if Plex (which seems to be a major concern of yours) is unable to scrape using the proper format, you'll need to seek assistance from their developers.

DarklightIndigo
Leo of the East Bay

Postby DarklightIndigo » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:18 pm

As a user of both, unless something's recently been broken, both XBMC and Plex support year-season naming. Adjusting the filenames with FileBot should fix any issues. As for CouchPotato and SickRage, both programmes support scene exceptions...

We just provide the end data. In regards to the functionality of a user's programmes, whether they represent majick to them or not, it is ultimately their responsibility to figure out how to effectively use them.

To put this in perspective, there was a time when people demanded that we help them to set up their media centres, which - as you might imagine - is somewhat distracting to gathering and sorting accurate data.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

NMe

Postby NMe » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:31 pm

Most software is able to cope with stuff like this. But it is very annoying when a show, especially one that has been going on as long as this one, suddenly switches naming schemes. Every episode I had archived needed a manual rename and rescan. I'm not saying that's a reason to not do it (which is why I didn't bring it up at first) but it is pretty natural that people come here complaining after the fact.

Hikaricore mentioned above that this was posted here for the community to contribute, but fact of the matter is that 99% of the people who use TVDB have no idea that this community even exists. They are consumers of content, not producers. I actually think it's not a vocal minority that was annoyed at this change, but a very silent majority. I've talked to quite a few people online about this and have had to instruct a bunch of friends on how to get the show to work again in Sonarr.

Again, not to say you never should do stuff like this (even if I disagreed with this particular change) and I'm definitely not saying you should change it back (because that will result in the same issues all over again) but doing this will always tick off a large part of the silent group of users. Saying that you opened it up for discussion on the forums beforehand might make sense to you as frequent users of said forums, but most people will not have noticed until something "messed up their software."

Donovan

Postby Donovan » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:18 pm

doing this will always tick off a large part of the silent group of users

Exactly. And silent = silent here, not silent at all of the products this decision affected.

So, without all the time I spent reading about this, I'd say it took about 90 mins using Renamer to rename 250gb of files, delete all the image and nfo files, and tell the products I use to re-scan everything. 90 x 10,000 users (I have no idea) = 900,000 hours. Now add on the grief and time spent by those that support all of the products that use this database will encounter from their own users and of course the misdirected energy those users will spend asking why it isn't working.

Finally, not everything can be fixed after this change. I would imagine the ratings/watched statuses of 15 years worth of episodes in Trakt will no longer sync up (unless they programmed something into their end to deal with this). Trying to search for missing episodes in Sonarr? Not going to work, the already existing torrents for 15 years of Mythbusters are still going to have the previous season and episode format. That's okay though, everyone can still that manually too.

On the bright side, it will save a few hours a year for thetvdb, who will no longer be frustrated trying to figure out what season to put episodes each year. I guess since this is a free service, we have no right to complain (and we did have that month's notice if we actively participated in the forum here).

The other sad thing is that I'm not sure the show will really have many episodes going forward anyway to have made this worth it. Respectfully, I know dealing with the ambiguity of series seasons is a PITA but maybe take this into consideration next time, that this may not have been the best choice.

Donovan

Postby Donovan » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:29 pm

**I tried to edit but the edit time is short and timed out while I was editing. I meant to say, I don't know if Sonarr will be able to handle matches for old episodes but who knows, they may program around it, if someone had a list of the old names. I tried a couple missing episodes and they don't work but maybe there's no active torrents.

Anyway, what's done is done. Until the next person adds their 2 cents, and you probably should let them do so, so at least they can get the frustration off their chest. :)

DarklightIndigo
Leo of the East Bay

Postby DarklightIndigo » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:26 pm

It's not really a question of seasons, though.
It's a question of when DSC's Records department will pull their heads out of their asses.
Once that happens, we can iron out a set airing order.
Same with NatGeo.

...and labeling us "Nazi fucks" when some of us lost family to that particular nightmare isn't just hyperbole, it's a great way to get us to shut down on your (not you specifically, of course) requests.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

danyboy666

Postby danyboy666 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:26 pm

The "Mythbusters Nightmare" will be ending soon anyways guys as they will be broadcasting their last set of episodes in 2016.

genemct

Postby genemct » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:42 pm

Of course they can't end cleanly...
From their Facebook page, confirmed on the discovery page

The final season of ‪#‎MythBusters‬ will premiere Saturday January 9th at 8/7c! But if you can't wait that long make sure to check out a Sneak Peek Special on Saturday January 2nd at 8/7c.

So even though it is inline, will that really be a special? Much of their content is behind the scenes, and we already know from past history that when they call something a special, that does not mean what they think it means... :D

Let the carnage begin!

Return to “Policy Inquiries”