Mythbusters Season Update 07/23/2015

Discuss ongoing matters concerning the application of site policies, or the policies themselves, here.
Forum rules
This sub-forum is for the discussion of site policy and the handling thereof ONLY.
Please direct all change requests to the main forum.
DarklightIndigo
Leo of the East Bay

Re: Mythbusters Season Update 07/23/2015

Postby DarklightIndigo » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:32 am

This is another good reason to avoid duplication.
Every time a network shows a rerun, it's possible for errant PVR setups to "double up" episodes and effectively drain space twice as fast.
It's by no means commonplace, but let's just say that I don't need a copy of every Tina Fey SNL every time NBC gets a nostalgic bug up their asses.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

drougnor

Postby drougnor » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:51 am

Just an FYI - Using Media Companion v 3.6.2.8 - After reorganizing and renaming the episodes to the new format of SyyyyE## (S2003E01.avi), Season 2003 refused to rescrape and pick up the new episodes. However, when I renamed them to the old S##E## format I was using, they picked up just fine (EG S01E01.avi)

Just curious if there's something that needs to be updated on the database.

Thanks!

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:21 am

As those seasons no longer contain said episodes it sounds more like a remote or local cache than anything on our end.

drougnor

Postby drougnor » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:05 pm

I will happily give it a day or more to let the caches resync totally, but it is interesting to me that the 2003 season is the only one with this issue. I will let you know when I test it again what the results are.

Thanks

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:44 pm

I also still have not removed the original single number seasons as I still need to transfer artwork. It's possible it's picking up the old seasonid and still matching the episodeids which have not changed, but you'd think it would be happening across the board. I'll try to get everything cleaned up in the next few days as time permits.

danyboy666

Postby danyboy666 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:24 am

DarklightIndigo wrote:This is another good reason to avoid duplication.
Every time a network shows a rerun, it's possible for errant PVR setups to "double up" episodes and effectively drain space twice as fast.
It's by no means commonplace, but let's just say that I don't need a copy of every Tina Fey SNL every time NBC gets a nostalgic bug up their asses.

Some network seem to live in the past really. In PVR/DVR/TiVO/ETC. age we can't really justify having multiples sites who list different episode listing. Push the right data already. Production companies themselves should make the data available if the network are too dumb and can't handle the listing data properly well at least we'd have somewhere to turn to.

danyboy666

Postby danyboy666 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:44 pm

drougnor wrote:Just an FYI - Using Media Companion v 3.6.2.8 - After reorganizing and renaming the episodes to the new format of SyyyyE## (S2003E01.avi), Season 2003 refused to rescrape and pick up the new episodes. However, when I renamed them to the old S##E## format I was using, they picked up just fine (EG S01E01.avi)

Just curious if there's something that needs to be updated on the database.

Thanks!

Well that is part of your problem. The SXXEXX convention is use for regular seasons, not yearly. Yeah it can work most of the time but when it doesnt it will really fuck up you collection. MCM or other sofware will interpret this as being the 2013th season. S01,S02,S03,..S2013. Most sofware aren't designed to work with mixed naming conventions. Best is to rename by date an dont' take account of episode numbers at all when using year format. It will surely screw up you serie. I know for a fact it will. Plus most of those software have a way to handle it but trowing it mixed season will definitly screw it up at one point or another.

aoakley

Postby aoakley » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:53 am

Just so we're clear, are the episode dates and year sequences ordered by..?

1. The first broadcast of the episode worldwide (several episodes were broadcast first in the UK or Australia before they aired in the USA), or

2. The first broadcast in the USA, or

3. What the USA Discovery website currently lists as their broadcast date (which may differ from the UK, Australian or European Discovery websites; plus, the US website has a reputation for changing its mind)

There is potential for *YEARS* to be wrong here, particularly in UK vs. US first broadcast dates. Carrie Byron had departed, given birth and returned in the UK before she'd even got pregnant in the US airings (I'm exaggerating, but you get the point).

Remember this is an Australian produced programme that happens to be set in the USA. It is not a locally produced US programme, so the justification for using US airdates is shaky, and the assumption that it airs in the US first has been wrong in the past and will probably be wrong again in the future.

Suppose Discovery UK starts airing episodes early again, for example in late 2015 which Discovery USA doesn't air until 2016. What would those programmes be numbered as? Would their numbering change? First for the UK showing and then a revised number when they're shown in the US?

I am not against this move, I just want us to agree on some rules which we can use forever, so we never have to revisit this.

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:19 pm

The episodes will (and should currently) be listed by the US air date. We will be listing dates by the US airing for the foreseeable future. If episodes air in other countries first which happens from time to time we still go by the US air date first and foremost. If an episode does not air in the US for and reason it will be listed under Specials with no air date until such time as it does air. Said episode would be linked to the year season most related to its time of release temporarily.

seantnichols

Postby seantnichols » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:50 am

Please consider changing back. Season 20XX makes 0 sense to me... I see nothing wrong with the traditional method of "SxxExx" as EVERYTHING is built around scanning that model. I've been trying to figure out for a while now why sickbeard and Plex suddenly stopped working with just Mythbusters and then I find this... my first thought was, "who screwed it up this time?" but after some digging I see that unlike some other database sites, only mods can change info here. so... you guys screwed it up. :P seriously though, I don't get it. I guess I could switch to another provider but I like tvdb because (until now) it has been the most reliable and accurate. I'm stomping my foot in rage because the only question I can come up with is, "why?" Anyway, hopefully my little tantrum here won't fall on deaf ears. Please at least consider it. so many broken things now.

Return to “Policy Inquiries”