Mythbusters Season Update 07/23/2015

Discuss ongoing matters concerning the application of site policies, or the policies themselves, here.
Forum rules
This sub-forum is for the discussion of site policy and the handling thereof ONLY.
Please direct all change requests to the main forum.
hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Re: Mythbusters Season Update 07/23/2015

Postby hikaricore » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:07 pm

danyboy666 wrote:All the latest season aligns with iTunes listing pretty good. I mean why not just use that listing seem it's the closest to what we already have on TVDB. pretty sure no one wants to see three season debuts in the same year.

iTunes source directly from the production company.

BTW for people who are still questionning that this is S15. Here's the new season description on iTunes.

MythBusters, Season 18

Description
This season Jamie and Adam will investigate the homemade machine gun from the Breaking Bad finale, fan favorite video games, laser blasters from Star Wars and more to show what's real and what's fiction.

HDTV-PGClosed Captioning
Blow It Out of the Water
Adam and Jamie blow up a boat with 1,000 lb of high explosive before building a homemade machine gun
42:34
$2.99
View In iTunes
HDTV-PGClosed Captioning
Flights of Fantasy
Stow your tray tables because in this aviation extravaganza Adam and Jamie tackle two flights of
41:34
$2.99
View In iTunes
HDTV-PGClosed Captioning
Accidental Ammo
Stand by for some ballistic backyard bedlam and a gruesome glass guillotine in an episode devoted to
41:36
$2.99
View In iTunes
HDTV-PGClosed Captioning
Dangerous Driving
Adam and Jamie crank the controversy to the max as they find out if Hands-Free driving is really the
41:34
$2.99
View In iTunes
HDTV-PGClosed Captioning
Supernatural Shooters
On this episode of MythBusters Adam and Jamie take aim at Hollywood's infallible hit men and their
$2.99
View In iTunes
HDTV-GClosed Captioning
Unfinished Business
Adam and Jamie tackle four fan favourites from video games to grenades, from spy cars to super-fast
$2.99
View In iTunes

They currently list this season as S18. So this would mean breaking that infamous season 8 in three (pretty sure most people would agree all the problems cames from that season anywais, yeah those Buster's cut episodes shouldn't be listed as regulars in the first place or at the very least list them consistently).

I get where you're coming from with this, but we probably won't ever be matching anything to iTunes unless Apple lands its own original content. Dare I bring up the infamous season split in Breaking Bad where the network aired it on TV as one season then split it into two on iTunes and Amazon? One example in a sea of many why we won't be allowing it.

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:11 pm

As a note I've been a bit busy lately so I haven't had time to review all this in whole. I'll be taking note of any valid user concerns and running the whole thing by the moderators and admins one last time before we make a decision. Thank you all for your input thus far.

NMe

Postby NMe » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:43 am

A season break in the middle of a running batch of episodes is arbitrary. Even if it's the same thing their own website shows, it's just wrong. Also, you never commented on what Adam himself said about the season finale on Twitter.

Just because Discovery itself can't be arsed to properly name and number their season doesn't make them right, even if they are the network who airs it. I'd sooner follow the show's creators.

EnigmaNL

Postby EnigmaNL » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:32 pm

Can season 16 please be changed to season 15 again already? Sickbeard is failing every week because everybody is posting the new episodes as Season 15 but the stubborn TVDB lists it as season 16 for no good reason.

DarklightIndigo
Leo of the East Bay

Postby DarklightIndigo » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:47 pm

There is rather large text in the big red box that warns against using SickBeard as a source for requests, and scene exceptions exist for a reason. Further, this topic is contentious enough without people pushing for the acceptance of an unverified source. Please refrain from posting like this in the future.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

wayned42

Postby wayned42 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:11 pm

One of the sites that had been clinging to the "we're still in season 15" myth [lame pun intended] was tvrage, but it's nice to see that they have switched over to having 18 seasons. In fact, all their early seasons match up with TheTVDB's seasons (through season 7), and if our seasons 8 & 9 were split in half (at the spots previously mentioned) then our data would pretty much match theirs (and it would also match futon critic's season numbers for the seasons for which they list season numbers, namely season 5 onward). Dunno if tvrage's change adds any extra weight behind the "lets split 2 seasons and end up with 18" idea or not...

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:50 pm

So I've finally had a chance to make a rough tally of the input we've gotten so far and here's where we stand.

In community responses we've had:
5 state they are in favor of the change and 3 against it.

In the moderator/admin ranks we've had:
8 state that they are for the change and 1 against.

Overall most of the input we've received has been positive for the change so I think we'll go ahead and move forward with the adjustment.
I am aware the vocal minority had some concerns about the topic, but I didn't see anything that couldn't be overcome.

One very important thing to note is that this will put us in line with the official Discovery listing which is now by years so the change is backed by the airing network as well.

A statement will be added to the series specific rules soon. Thanks to everyone for your assistance in this trying matter.

NMe

Postby NMe » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:14 am

Can't say I agree but I know when I've lost an argument. I just hope that whatever changes is mappable on TheXEM, but we'll see about that when things have been moved around.

EnigmaNL wrote:Can season 16 please be changed to season 15 again already? Sickbeard is failing every week because everybody is posting the new episodes as Season 15 but the stubborn TVDB lists it as season 16 for no good reason.

Most Sickbeard forks should use TheXEM for its mapping to scene releases. If you're still on the original Sickbeard, maybe this is a good reason to switch to a more active fork. SickGear and SickRage both support TheXEM as far as I know.

Also, TVDB is not stubborn, the show creators themselves announced the 15/16 season split on Twitter.

danyboy666

Postby danyboy666 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:15 pm

wayned42 wrote:One of the sites that had been clinging to the "we're still in season 15" myth [lame pun intended] was tvrage, but it's nice to see that they have switched over to having 18 seasons. In fact, all their early seasons match up with TheTVDB's seasons (through season 7), and if our seasons 8 & 9 were split in half (at the spots previously mentioned) then our data would pretty much match theirs (and it would also match futon critic's season numbers for the seasons for which they list season numbers, namely season 5 onward). Dunno if tvrage's change adds any extra weight behind the "lets split 2 seasons and end up with 18" idea or not...

I have to say i was the one who triggered the request on TVRage. They listed it even better than what i had in mind too. Proof that some some reliable data for this show in fact exist.

Also i understand TVDB point of view with this even though i desagreed at the relisting. Maybe one day if Discovery ever goes back to listing properly their shows matters like this will no longer be source of conflicts.

Long time established TVDB guidelines are pretty clear when it comes to these matters. As a community driven database this decision do make sense.

XEM should be able to cross map this without any trouble so "news fetching" should'nt be a problem for those who like that sort of thing even though this should never be brought forward as an argument as stated by my college.

dangerdad

Postby dangerdad » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:40 pm

NMe wrote:A season break in the middle of a running batch of episodes is arbitrary. Even if it's the same thing their own website shows, it's just wrong. Also, you never commented on what Adam himself said about the season finale on Twitter.

And he's calling this coming weekend's episode another season finale.

https://twitter.com/donttrythis/status/ ... 1254635520

I'm pretty sure Discovery (paying for the show) should trump Savage.

Return to “Policy Inquiries”