Mythbusters Season Update 07/23/2015

Discuss ongoing matters concerning the application of site policies, or the policies themselves, here.
Forum rules
This sub-forum is for the discussion of site policy and the handling thereof ONLY.
Please direct all change requests to the main forum.
hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Mythbusters Season Update 07/23/2015

Postby hikaricore » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:04 am

Greetings site members and lurkers!

I wanted to let you folks know that the moderators and admins have been debating the topic of Mythbusters seasons internally and are seriously leaning towards listing the series by year numbers instead of (potentially arbitrary) seasons.

As you all know almost every source and site across the internet disagrees in one aspect or another on the matter.
You may or may not know that the official episode guide has at some point in the last year or so switched to a year based listing: https://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/myth ... -episodes/
This is one reason (of the many) we're considering the change, however it was thought that we should bring it to the attention of the site members incase there is any valid/viable concerns.

I'll be starting the process of switching to years in a couple of weeks so everyone should get their comments in now.

It should be noted that the following types of statements will be ignored:
"I don't want to rename my files", "This doesn't match the dvd release", "Wikipedia says otherwise" and of course "Where are my pants?"

genemct

Re: Mythbusters Season Update 07/23/2015

Postby genemct » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:17 pm

While you are in there, while most of the 'specials' have been cleaned up, there are a number of busters cuts specials still listed in season 8 that should probably be moved to specials.
And, FYI, I know exactly where my pants are! At least, I know where I left them...

Thanks!

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:35 pm

magistry

Postby magistry » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:23 pm

This sounds like a terrific move. I know my vote carries no weight but I wanted to say that this will solve so, so many issues in regards to this show. It is an enormous task. Thank you for taking the time to do this. I found your pants BTW. They were a little dirty so I took them to the cleaners. I'll ship them back to you when they're ready :lol:

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:51 pm

Thanks! My family will be thrilled to have me in pants again. :D

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:52 pm

On a more serious note I'm thrilled to hear that folks in the community are onboard. If I haven't seen any disagreement in the next week I'll go ahead and start the process of year based seasons. One note: Ideally, specials will probably stay exactly where they are, only season episodes will be listed in the year season.

Psion20

Postby Psion20 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:05 pm

I also agree that year based seasons works best for Mythbusters. Concerning specials, how do you know what is actually a special when they have episodes called the Pirates Special. I get that the Buster Cuts fit in that category, but what makes those other two any more special than the James Bond Special or the Alaska Special. Maybe there's a good reason, I honestly don't remember seeing the Common Car Myths Special or the Young Scientists Special.

genemct

Postby genemct » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:33 pm

Yeah, common car myths is a little questionable, young scientists was a different format than normal, so I could see that one as a special.

NMe

Postby NMe » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:47 am

hikaricore wrote:On a more serious note I'm thrilled to hear that folks in the community are onboard. If I haven't seen any disagreement in the next week I'll go ahead and start the process of year based seasons. One note: Ideally, specials will probably stay exactly where they are, only season episodes will be listed in the year season.

I hate to be the first one then, but I don't think using years would be correct. This year is a perfect example. Here's Adam Savage calling the last episode of what is currently season 15 a "season finale": https://twitter.com/donttrythis/status/ ... 1329186816 Yet if you change what you want to change, you're making it so that this season finale as it was confirmed by one of the people actually making the show is suddenly no longer one.

Also: what is currently season 15 started airing in January, dangerously close to December. It seems likely that Discovery might start airing another batch of 6-8 episodes in December at some point. What happens when a new batch of episodes starts airing in December? I think that might lead to either a very arbitrary split mid-season, or an exception case where the 2017 season (for instance) contains episodes that aired in 2016.

I get that MythBusters is difficult, but I don't think this is the way to go to solve it.

wayned42

Postby wayned42 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:53 pm

I'm kinda torn about the concept. I'd personally prefer to see the seasons get tweaked to match up with the best available info we have, but I understand that the earliest seasons are pretty difficult to get right given the spotty and contradictory info we have available. If it were up to me, I'd split our season 8 at "Hair of the Dog" and split our 9th season at "Bikes and Bazookas" and call it good. However, given the stand-alone nature of the shows, it wouldn't be the end of the world if things changed to use year season numbers.

Oh, BTW, the futon critic lists a new episode after Unfinished Business in the latest season, which would presumably put it prior to the Star Wars episode:

Date: 2015-08-29
Name: Mythbusters vs. Jaws
(#1807)

(The current season)