Trying to add a new version of a series, old is NOT as aired

All completed requests go in here. This way we can clean our main forums, but still have this stuff show up in search.
Forum rules
This Forum is READ-ONLY
If you believe that an item has been incorrectly marked as resolved, please start a new topic.
Mistywing
Site Moderator

Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:54 pm

Well you would be wrong, because Plex is perfectly able to handle this as a TV series with the filename structure they propose while sourcing data from TheTVDB.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/naming ... les/#toc-4

That being said, there appears to be an issue with this series' numeration after the transition to the new site version.
flapjack.fiasco

Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:47 pm

polargeek wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:17 pm
Also, the official order is the order in which they originally aired regardless of if that order makes sense or not. DVD is the order from the first official DVD release and absolute is almost exclusively for Anime that has no official seasons just hundreds of episodes.
In the case of Night Gallery, the official order is incorrect, according to your description. The order in which the episodes are designated on TVDB, for official order, is not the order in which the episodes were aired. This is the point I've been trying to make.
flapjack.fiasco

Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:52 pm

Mistywing wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:54 pm
Well you would be wrong, because Plex is perfectly able to handle this as a TV series with the filename structure they propose while sourcing data from TheTVDB.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/naming ... les/#toc-4

That being said, there appears to be an issue with this series' numeration after the transition to the new site version.
This is incorrect. Plex can manage split concurrent episodes, but not episodes separated by other episodes. As an example, if I have two episodes, S01E06 and S01E08, the proposed solution, S01E06-E08, is interpreted by Plex as episodes 6, 7, and 8.

But this ignores the objective fact that the official order is incorrect. This is not the order that the series originally aired in.

EDIT: Corrected two typos.
polargeek
Site Admin

Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:14 pm

Okay to be clear there was a loss of appropriate order when the site was transitioned to the new version. The previous version allowed decimals to denote multi-part episodes. so all the episodes where there were 2-4 with the same number would have previously been 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4 for example. I have rebuilt the aired order taking that into account to match what we had prior to the changeover. Unfortunately, I do not have a record of what the DVD order was previously.

I expect the DVD order was set to the digital release order which included Special #4 - Satisfaction Guaranteed as part of Season 2 Episode 2: A Death in The Family/The Merciful/The Class Of '99/Satisfaction Guaranteed

The splitting will remain intact as it allows for alternate orders based on different releases. This is a long-standing policy and Plex has been pulling data from here long enough that they should be supporting that format.

That being said if you have authoritative proof from a source trusted by this site that the way they have been split puts them in the wrong order. Then, by all means, we will look at it and correct it as needed.
All PM's asking for exceptions, rule changes, series unlocks et al will be ignored.
flapjack.fiasco

Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:36 pm

Authoritative proof comes from the episodes themselves. Each episode has a segue way from one to the next, where Rod Serling gives a brief monologue. He discusses the previous episode and introduces the next.

That being said, I'm sure you don't want to watch the entire series, so I'll work on fetching a source that has the correct episode pairings after the kids are in bed.

Thanks for looking into it.
flapjack.fiasco

Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:35 pm

There is no official website for the series, however, nightgallery.net has the episodes listed in air order, with correct cast and credits info, it's pretty thorough for all three seasons, and the 3-segment pilot:
I'm not suggesting this for a source for air-order, however, wikipedia does mention how the show was changed for syndication:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Gallery#Syndication
In order to increase the number of episodes that were available for syndication, the 60-minute episodes were re-edited for a 30-minute time slot, with many segments severely cut, and others extended by inserting "new" scenes of recycled, previously discarded, or stock footage to fill up the time. In their book Rod Serling's Night Gallery: An After-Hours Tour, authors Scott Skelton and Jim Benson identify 39 of the 98 individual segments that were produced for Night Gallery as being "severely altered" in syndication. Twenty-five episodes of an unrelated, short-lived supernatural series from 1972, The Sixth Sense, were also incorporated into the syndicated version of the series, with Serling providing newly filmed introductions to those episodes. As The Sixth Sense was originally a one-hour show, these episodes were all severely edited to fit into the half-hour timeslot.

The original, uncut and un-edited hour-long version of the series (and without the additional Sixth Sense episodes) has been shown on STARZ!’s Encore Mystery premium movie cable network.[citation needed] The show has aired in the 30-minute format in some markets through the Retro Television Network in the past.

MeTV had broadcast rights for Night Gallery and aired the show in its edited, 30-minute format, including the edited The Sixth Sense episodes.
This right here, the syndicated version of Night Gallery, in other words, the version that came after the original airing, is what is reflected in the current TVDB listing. With it being so "severly altered" from the original airing of the 60-minute episodes, it's almost like two different series.

I'll keep looking for sources on the list in the TVDB Bible, but in the mean time, I hope this contributes to clearing up the discrepancy.
flapjack.fiasco

Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:39 pm

To be clear, my position is not against them being split, so long as the original pairings are concurrent.
polargeek
Site Admin

Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:52 pm

I haven't checked seasons 2 or 3 yet but the order I entered earlier matches nightgallery.net with the exception that we have the pilot at the beginning
All PM's asking for exceptions, rule changes, series unlocks et al will be ignored.
polargeek
Site Admin

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:01 pm

I've checked season 2 and 3 and they also match - The three segments that were either replacements or syndication only in season 2 exist in the specials season. Barring the existence of the pilot in season 1 we exactly match that site.
flapjack.fiasco

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:42 pm

polargeek wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:52 pm
I haven't checked seasons 2 or 3 yet but the order I entered earlier matches nightgallery.net with the exception that we have the pilot at the beginning
So, wait, you entered updates earlier?
Because what I see on nightgallery.net does not match what I see for season 1 on TVDB.