Trying to add a new version of a series, old is NOT as aired

All completed requests go in here. This way we can clean our main forums, but still have this stuff show up in search.
Forum rules
This Forum is READ-ONLY
If you believe that an item has been incorrectly marked as resolved, please start a new topic.
philhu0724

Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:33 am

I tried to add the series 'Night Gallery' last night in real, as aired episode order.

The show was an anthology series, with 2-3 stories per half hour show.

I obtained the show in real, original order

The current 'Night Gallery' is done by someone who broke each story into a seperate episode. So, as an example, the first episode, which contained 3 stories, is listed in the DB as 3 episodes, 1,2 and 3 under season 1. Those 3 are actually the first episode AS AIRED.

I tried to build a 'Night Gallery (OA)' for 'Original Air', but it was deleted. I was told the rule is to put items
in the db in air format, which I was trying to do. What did I do wrong? THe way it is there now cannot be used
since the episode and item numbers are wrong.
DarklightIndigo
Site Moderator

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:12 am

The general rule for multiple segments in a single episode is to break those out into individual episodes, so that DVD Order may appropriately handle potential reorders. It's a technicality, but the best way to handle those for proper scraping is to use multipart format in the filenames, which is S01E01-E03 IIRC.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.
philhu0724

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:37 am

Ok, but if you use multipart, ie e01-03, how does it get the descriptions for all 3 parts?

Plex and pytivo will always pull just the first part, e01.

IThe DVD for this series, there are 2 versions. The old version had the parts as seperate items. The new is marked as the episodes is 'Original Aired Format'

So, you are saying that the dvd cannot be catalogged with the TVDB listing there? I was going to enter the format used by the new dvd, so it can be catalloged easily. BTW, the episode guide for Night Gallery in IMDB shows it in Original Aired format too.
yunro

Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:22 pm

Hi, recently trying to add Night Gallery to Plex and found this thread. Is there no way to add the episodes in original air order, see that this thread is a year old.
DarklightIndigo
Site Moderator

Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:53 pm

I'll make NFO files in the next 24 hours.

EDIT
Also, this is worth revisiting IMO; my understanding has always been that segments are meant for animated series that are likely to be reordered on DVD releases, not so much for more conventional series.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.
polargeek
Site Admin

Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:50 pm

DarklightIndigo wrote: EDIT
Also, this is worth revisiting IMO; my understanding has always been that segments are meant for animated series that are likely to be reordered on DVD releases, not so much for more conventional series.
The discussion on this may have been lost in the big forum loss that happened several years back. But this specific series iirc was re-released in a digital format with different episode combinations. So given that we had the splitting rule in place, to accommodate these different releases it was applied to this series
All PM's asking for exceptions, rule changes, series unlocks et al will be ignored.
flapjack.fiasco

Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:08 am

DarklightIndigo wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:12 am
The general rule for multiple segments in a single episode is to break those out into individual episodes, so that DVD Order may appropriately handle potential reorders. It's a technicality, but the best way to handle those for proper scraping is to use multipart format in the filenames, which is S01E01-E03 IIRC.
I'd appreciate a little clarity here. What's the intended purpose for the different 'Order' versions: Official, DVD, and Absolute? For Night Gallery, these are all the same.

The solution offered by Darklightindigo is absolutely perfect for many series. I'm trying to shoehorn my copy of Night Gallery into something TVDB can agree with, but I'm finding it difficult. Here's an example: Season 1 episode 6 entitled "Room with a View" and season 1 episode 8 entitled "The Nature of the Enemy" originally aired together. There is a scripted segue way between the two episodes with Rod Serling. The only solution I see is to split the episodes, but then you're left with either a segue way at the end of episode 6 that leads to episode 8 instead of episode 7, or a segue way at the beginning of episode 8 that doesn't follow episode 7.

Right now, I'm going to split my episodes, but I'm not pleased with that solution. Is it possible for myself or some other user to alter one of the 'Order' versions to accommodate the original airing order? If so, which 'Order' version would be most appropriate to edit?

Thanks so much for any help!
polargeek
Site Admin

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:14 pm

I didn't physically split mine just named the files to include both appropriate numbers. So I'd name the file you have Night Gallery - 1x06x08 or S01E06E08 depending on what you are using. Most metadata retrievers will deal with them in that fashion.
All PM's asking for exceptions, rule changes, series unlocks et al will be ignored.
polargeek
Site Admin

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:17 pm

Also, the official order is the order in which they originally aired regardless of if that order makes sense or not. DVD is the order from the first official DVD release and absolute is almost exclusively for Anime that has no official seasons just hundreds of episodes.
sergia0618

Sat May 30, 2020 8:29 am

All,

What I have found here is that if you are using PLEX, do the following:

1. Set this up as Movie library NOT TV Series
2. Use the MovieDB not TVDB for metadata
3. It will pick up all three or two acts as episodes.

The TVDB fails to be able to recognize this because of the way the episodes are defined and no amount of editing will help.

Art