8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown Seasons 1-5

Discuss ongoing matters concerning the application of site policies, or the policies themselves, here.
Forum rules
This sub-forum is for the discussion of site policy and the handling thereof ONLY.
Please direct all change requests to the main forum.
chwynn

Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:56 pm

Seasons 1-5 have standardised episode names (Episode 1, etc), these would be much more meaningful as "Guest 1, Guest 2" etc. Would it be possible to have write access to this so that I could modify it myself? Alternatively, I could post a list of suggested episode titles here for review, or so a moderator can make these changes.

Apologies if I have broken any forum rules by posting this here; This is my first post, and I read the rules but there are a lot of them, so my sorry in advance if this is inappropriate.
chwynn

Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:52 am

Have I posted this in the right place? Should I contact the person that locked the seasons? (furby) If so, how can I do this?
toddster
Site Moderator

Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:24 pm

We follow how the official site has the episode titles and the channel 4 website has the episodes as the standardized episode titles. I agree that having the guests in the episode titles is the more logical route but we have to the follow the site rules.
chwynn

Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:01 pm

I have been looking around the Channel 4 Website, and I cant see anywhere that has official titles for the shows. As far as I can see, they are listed by date. In addition, Season 6 on this website seems to have Guest stars as the episode titles.

Who makes the rules for this site? Wouldn't it make more sense to give the episodes meaningful names when the only alternative is to call it "Episode X". That metadata already exists, so if anything, it is bad database practice to store the same data in two fields.

I could understand it if there were no alternatives, but there is a perfectly workable alternative in place for season 6.

I think the rule should be relaxed in this case, or I would at least like to know why it is enforced to this degree.
DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:04 pm

FWIW, I happen to agree that talk shows should probably use the guests as the primary title, if only because "Episode 583" smacks of both uselessness and excessive oversight.

Maybe this is a case that could use some review?
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.
furby
Site Moderator

Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:15 am

I've said no in the past as it's a duplication of data, the guest stars have the actors name. Also the shows for the most part have episode numbers.

So I could easily argue the point for not allowing it but, perhaps for shows like this it would be nice to make a rare exception
Please link to the series/episode page and your sources. Wikipedia is NOT a valid source.
DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:54 am

The problem I see is like the Letterman Syndrome. A show runs for so long, that the producers don't bother titling anything anymore, occasionally slapping together titles for a quick run of TVguide or some such. Of course, the result is chaotic; numbering here is useful for the initial sort, but once that is correctly determined, a little flex might actually improve both accuracy and adoption.

Which isn't to say that this wouldn't need to be monitored for misbehavior, as clearly it would.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.
chwynn

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:19 am

I'm going to resurrect this, because it was never actually resolved, and now it applies to seasons 1-10 and it seems that the moderators are deleting the episode titles with guest names and applying their own naming scheme, neither of which matches the channel 4 naming scheme, but of the three schemes, the only one which makes any sense is having guest names as episode titles.

Can we have permission to rename all of the old episodes like this please?
chwynn

Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:21 pm

So....
racingsquirrel

Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:06 am

Can I further resurrect this topic again to try and get a final decision on this?

There seem to be several users who would rather the episode title be the list of guest star names, myself included.

The arguments against this seem to be:
  1. 28/09/2014 toddster "We follow how the official site has the episode titles and the channel 4 website has the episodes as the standardized episode titles. I agree that having the guests in the episode titles is the more logical route but we have to the follow the site rules."
  2. 29/09/2014 furby "I've said no in the past as it's a duplication of data, the guest stars have the actors name. Also the shows for the most part have episode numbers. So I could easily argue the point for not allowing it but, perhaps for shows like this it would be nice to make a rare exception"
Looking at other people's posts there are counterpoints to most of this:
  1. There are no episode titles listed on Channel 4's site. So this rule is not being followed.
  2. Using Episode X is just as much duplication as having guest names in the Title and Guest stars fields.
  • Seasons 1,2 & 3 - locked by furby
  • Season 3 - locked by toddster
  • Seasons 5-10 - locked by Maretoh
The seasons are locked by 3 people. We have had an opinion from 2 of these 3 people, one against the proposed changes and one open to it. Any chance we can get the 3 mods to discuss this and come up with a consensus once and for all?

I understand the need for rules but exceptions where necessary are very useful to have.

:)