Doom Patrol clarification

Discuss ongoing matters concerning the application of site policies, or the policies themselves, here.
Forum rules
This forum is now read-only. Support for TheTVDB.com is now available at https://support.thetvdb.com/ We also have a Knowledgebase which includes site rules and tips at https://support.thetvdb.com/kb/
raze464

Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:38 am

Hi,

Since Doom Patrol is now both an HBO Max Original and a DC Universe Original, what should be the network for the second season? The first 3 episodes of Season 2 came out on HBO Max at 3AM ET while DC Universe has an episode countdown that ends at 9AM ET.

Seeing as the series premiered on DC Universe last year and they are also airing Season 2, am I correct in thinking the network should continue to be DC Universe and reflect their airing time?

Appreciate it and thank you.
swattx
Site Moderator

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:04 am

raze464 wrote:
Hi,

Since Doom Patrol is now both an HBO Max Original and a DC Universe Original, what should be the network for the second season? The first 3 episodes of Season 2 came out on HBO Max at 3AM ET while DC Universe has an episode countdown that ends at 9AM ET.

Seeing as the series premiered on DC Universe last year and they are also airing Season 2, am I correct in thinking the network should continue to be DC Universe and reflect their airing time?

HBO Max

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59152

CO-PRODUCTIONS — In the event that two or more networks are associated with the production of the same series — i.e. Chernobyl (HBO & Sky 1); His Dark Materials (HBO & BBC One) — the rule will be that we will list the network with the first air date to be the network of record. So, in the His Dark Materials example, the UK (BBC One) has a premiere date of Nov. 3, and the US (HBO) has an air date of Nov. 4. So, BBC One would be the network of record.
raze464

Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:36 am

swattx wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:04 am
raze464 wrote:
Hi,

HBO Max

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59152

CO-PRODUCTIONS — In the event that two or more networks are associated with the production of the same series — i.e. Chernobyl (HBO & Sky 1); His Dark Materials (HBO & BBC One) — the rule will be that we will list the network with the first air date to be the network of record. So, in the His Dark Materials example, the UK (BBC One) has a premiere date of Nov. 3, and the US (HBO) has an air date of Nov. 4. So, BBC One would be the network of record.
Wait a minute. Are you sure? Because I wanted to update the new season of a series my mother watches, Marcella, but it turned out to be locked because Netflix aired Season 3 before ITV and now there's a notice on the series that says the Netflix airdate doesn't matter as ITV is the original network.

It's the same thing here. HBO Max is airing Season 2 episodes just 6 hours before the original network, DC Universe, does.
Imzadi
Site Moderator

Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:41 am

It's not the same when Netflix is not producer or co-producer of the series.
raze464

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:52 pm

Alright, then. Thank you for the clarification.
Equinox
Site Moderator

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:19 am

raze464 wrote:
Hi,

I apologize as there has been a confusion and I would like to set things straight after further discussion within the team.
Doom Patrol is actually not a co-production, it's just a series that happens to be simulcast on both DC Universe (owned by Warner Bros.) and HBO Max (a division of AT&T's WarnerMedia). However, even if it were a co-production, we'd still have to list DC Universe as the network for Season 2, because the first season only aired on DC Universe, and that was before HBO Max even existed.
This is the same approach we've always taken, with similar examples including Strike Back and My Brilliant Friend. The final season of Strike Back started airing on HBO in the United States eleven days before it premiered in the UK, but we stuck with the Sky1 air dates, because Sky1 was the first network to broadcast the series.
With that in mind, I have changed the network for Season 2 episodes of Doom Patrol back to DC Universe and added an explanatory Moderator Notice. I hope this helps clear things up and I'm happy to answer any questions that may arise.
raze464

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:06 pm

Equinox wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:19 am
raze464 wrote:
Hi,

I apologize as there has been a confusion and I would like to set things straight after further discussion within the team.
Doom Patrol is actually not a co-production, it's just a series that happens to be simulcast on both DC Universe (owned by Warner Bros.) and HBO Max (a division of AT&T's WarnerMedia). However, even if it were a co-production, we'd still have to list DC Universe as the network for Season 2, because the first season only aired on DC Universe, and that was before HBO Max even existed.
This is the same approach we've always taken, with similar examples including Strike Back and My Brilliant Friend. The final season of Strike Back started airing on HBO in the United States eleven days before it premiered in the UK, but we stuck with the Sky1 air dates, because Sky1 was the first network to broadcast the series.
With that in mind, I have changed the network for Season 2 episodes of Doom Patrol back to DC Universe and added an explanatory Moderator Notice. I hope this helps clear things up and I'm happy to answer any questions that may arise.
I came to the forums to make a change request for a different series and saw that I had a notification about this.

First of all, thank you for the update as it appears the previous information I was given was incorrect.

I originally asked because I don't really have any experience dealing with shows like this; new episodes coming out on a different network before the original one.

I had previously read the guideline I was answered with because of Stargirl; users were changing the network to The CW when the episodes come out on DC Universe a day earlier. But since that is a new show with only 1 season, I didn't know if the guideline applied at a series or season level.

Glad to have this definitively cleared up and in full disclosure, I changed the Season 2 network to HBO Max a couple of times. Though to be fair, I was only doing so because that's what I was told the network should be.

Second, thank you for the Moderator Notice. Hopefully that helps since I'm sure I wasn't the only one that changed the network to HBO Max.