Will I mess up a series if I put in recent episodes and circle back to older ones?

Discuss ongoing matters concerning the application of site policies, or the policies themselves, here.
Forum rules
This sub-forum is for the discussion of site policy and the handling thereof ONLY.
Please direct all change requests to the main forum.
valkyrie55

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:06 am

I added the series Crankgameplays (youtube) and did some work on it, mostly last year. The problem is, there are over 1400 episodes and I've finished about 100 of them. I'll get through it eventually but will it mess anything up to add recent episodes and circle back later? I know people using apps like TV Time are mostly interested in checking off the recent stuff and I'd like to add the new episodes as they come out too.

Thanks
Mistywing
Site Moderator

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:39 pm

I do not know how TVTime functions but you will not be messing things up here. You can always start adding recent things in "Season 2020" for example and complete the earlier years at your leisure. They will be automatically sorted in the official order.

Where you might have complications (only if you do it this way) is let's say you're inside a single season.
Episodes inside a season auto increment during addition, meaning there is no way to define an episode number on creation.
There is a way to then modify the episode number by editing the season ordering, but afterwards you will be faced with the problem of the auto increment starting from the number you defined. If you want to add episodes to fill the gap created, you'll have to then edit season ordering to renumber them all manually.

Everything you could potentially mess up can be fixed at the user level on TheTVDB.com (Except season numbering itself) so it's just a question of whether or not you can avoid the auto increment and the way it functions I think.
valkyrie55

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:44 pm

Ah, ok. Thank you!