Can we stop adding air dates for episodes we don't know for sure?

Discuss ongoing matters concerning the application of site policies, or the policies themselves, here.
Forum rules
This sub-forum is for the discussion of site policy and the handling thereof ONLY.
Please direct all change requests to the main forum.
NMe

Can we stop adding air dates for episodes we don't know for sure?

Postby NMe » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:01 am

I'm starting this thread because of an anime called BEM but I'm using this merely as an example. This has happened before and personally I'm kind of sick of it. What happened is this: the producers of the anime had formerly confirmed the air date of the first episode and the fact that the anime will have 12 episodes in total. Then whoever added the show also added all twelve episodes including a projected air date for each one of them even though only the first episode's air date was confirmed.

This is something that is happening with a lot of anime lately and usually it works out alright. But not unfrequently something happens where the dates are wrong, especially with anime. Sometimes studios need more time to make the next episode and they'll air a non-canon recap episode in between that goes into the specials season, causing all episodes after that to have a wrong date. Or sometimes things like this happen and someone has to go in and edit nine episodes through one of the most convoluted UIs I've ever used just because people made a guess about an air date.

Can we please address this somehow and disallow air dates to be guessed, or at least disallow a whole season's worth of air dates to be guessed like this? Because for some reason it's never the person who made the mess who actually cleans it up... My proposal would be to at least allow a projection of two episodes into the future like I did for BEM. We know the air date for the next episode and I projected the next two. I have left the air dates for the rest of the season blank for now.

rev.pragon

Re: Can we stop adding air dates for episodes we don't know for sure?

Postby rev.pragon » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:14 pm

I´m adding over 90% of the Anime Episodes and i´m adding the Airdates also for at least all of them. As a Source i always use the official Broadcaster Dates, in your BEM Example this one: http://cal.syoboi.jp/tid/5375/time
And if a Date is changing i will change all the Episodes too so where´s your Problem? This has happened with BEM, Carol&Tuesday and Fire Force till yet.

Because for some reason it's never the person who made the mess who actually cleans it up...

I don´t think so, but i´m not online 24/7. When i see a Change in the Airdate, i will do so too. But with over 30 Anime´s each Season i can oversee one too.

I have left the air dates for the rest of the season blank for now.

And i´ve added the correct ones.
No Support via PN. Read the Rules.

NMe

Postby NMe » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:21 pm

My problem is with the fact that these dates are subject to change. Not one time, not two times, but many times. You already mentioned three (!!) anime this season alone, and this season is just four weeks old. Would it really hurt you to either leave the episodes out if you have no information on them or to at least leave the dates empty? You literally only know they exist. No title, no air date that is not susceptible to change, nothing. There is no reason to add episodes that far into the future if you don't even have the basic information you need on them make them usable.

The way things are now I've had to go in and fix multiple shows over the past year. And like I said, fixing things is a pain in the ass, even more so than with the old UI. And in cases like this most of that pain in the ass is completely avoidable.

rev.pragon

Postby rev.pragon » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:35 pm

You didn´t read what i wrote. I have a Source. A valid Source. The official Broadcasterlist: http://cal.syoboi.jp/tid/5375/time

Yeah i´ve mentioned three. From over 30. In this Case over 60, because Carol&Tuesday is from the last Season.

Look, i can understand you. The Fact that some Dates are wrong/can be wrong is very bothersome. And changing them back isn´t funny, but in my Case it´s double work because i´m adding all the imdb Episodes too besides. Crazy, i know.
But in the Past there were a lot of false Aridates. Even on locked Shows in some Cases. And it was very laborious changing them. I´ve made the Experience that when a Date is already set, no one other´s gonna change it back. Only in some rare Cases. In this Case i only lock the Episode and wait 1 or 2 Days, then i unlock it again so Users can add Translations. I had some Troubles way back here for Example: viewtopic.php?f=86&t=56996

For your Example with BEM: I forgot yesterday to check it. Otherwise i would have seen that they were moved and would have changed it by myself. But i also said, i´m not online 24/7.

Would it really hurt you to either leave the episodes out if you have no information on them or to at least leave the dates empty?

Tbh yes. I dont wont to have empty Episodes or blank Releasedates or missing Episodes. Because the Chance getting false Episodes with false Dates are much higher and then I would have to do all the Work changing them back. Not on 3 or 4 or 5 Series, but on more then 10. And yes, i have done this in the Past already. More then 1 Time.

And again: I am ONLY adding Episodes WITH Releasedates when an offical Releasedate is announced and published. So your Comment with "No Information" is to 100% wrong.

For BEM at first the official Homepage: https://newbem.jp/onair/ and then later the official Broadcaster List.

But i will overthink the Situation with the next Season.
No Support via PN. Read the Rules.

Imzadi
Site Moderator

Postby Imzadi » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:00 pm

If official airdates are released, episodes can and should be added as Rev.paragon did. If those dates change, so be it.

What we do not want is people adding unconfirmed dates and whole seasons, just because a certain amount of episodes were ordered.