New Rule for Special Circumstances of TV Show Seasons?

Discuss ongoing matters concerning the application of site policies, or the policies themselves, here.
Forum rules
This sub-forum is for the discussion of site policy and the handling thereof ONLY.
Please direct all change requests to the main forum.
mrdude42

New Rule for Special Circumstances of TV Show Seasons?

Postby mrdude42 » Wed May 09, 2018 6:15 pm

It seems like the old rules for TV Shows don't always apply well to today's TV Show episodes and seasons. Is there any way to update the rules to account for things like Arrested Development's Remix of Season 4 that Netflix seems to consider the new official Season 4? Under today's rules we can't add the Season 4 remix but it certainly deserves a space in the DB because it's so different than the original Season 4. The fact Netflix themselves has moved the original Season 4 to the specials area on their sites should dictate that TVDB should do similar to keep things organized. Just a thought. It seems like a lot of people are asking for this and the only answer is that the rules dictate we can't add the Remix season to the show but maybe this is an example of when the rule needs to be updated or changed. No rule works for every circumstance. This is an edge case that needs a new rule which can also be used for future similar edge cases like this one.

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Re: New Rule for Special Circumstances of TV Show Seasons?

Postby DarklightIndigo » Wed May 09, 2018 7:30 pm

The upshot is that we're first and foremost an archival database, not a TV guide of current listings, but I agree that this is certainly one time where we could at least consider allowing a retelling as Specials parallel to how the series first aired. It wouldn't even be the first time, in that context.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

sudoterminal

Postby sudoterminal » Mon May 14, 2018 1:12 pm

DarklightIndigo wrote:The upshot is that we're first and foremost an archival database, not a TV guide of current listings, but I agree that this is certainly one time where we could at least consider allowing a retelling as Specials parallel to how the series first aired. It wouldn't even be the first time, in that context.

Exactly. I don't think most people here are asking for the series to have their Season 4 unlisted/rearranged. Listing the remix in specials is more than enough for the majority of us. I don't even understand how that is somehow an issue.

gabrielwalmeida

Postby gabrielwalmeida » Mon May 14, 2018 4:51 pm

sudoterminal wrote:
DarklightIndigo wrote:The upshot is that we're first and foremost an archival database, not a TV guide of current listings, but I agree that this is certainly one time where we could at least consider allowing a retelling as Specials parallel to how the series first aired. It wouldn't even be the first time, in that context.

Exactly. I don't think most people here are asking for the series to have their Season 4 unlisted/rearranged. Listing the remix in specials is more than enough for the majority of us. I don't even understand how that is somehow an issue.

Completely agreed. As Darklight said, maybe this is one situation where an exception can be made (and I've sided with the database on the La Casa de Papel and Top of the Lake situation (the episodes were just ending and starting in different points, but the integrity of the season was intact)). Here, on Arrested Development, it is more of a new season using old footage to tell a story in a completely new form, and as a film student, form is as important as the narrative. Just as an example (and it is a bit of a stretch, because the movie features different footage), it would be awful not to have both versions of "The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby" on a database if both films just told the story from different perspectives by using just editing and narrating techniques, because, after all, the movies are different in their contexts and results, and I believe the same thing happened with AD. Another thing is, this is an archive website, and this new special season was released. I think that the fault lies on Netflix for releasing it as a substitute for Season 4. If it were released as a new season, things could've been decided easily, but I still believe that both original season (that should remain intact), and new remix version could coexist in the database.
These are just my two cents, feel free to disagree, and to respond, and for the moderators and administrators, I hope I'm not insulting someone of something, I just want to express my opinion and I hope it is taken into consideration.
Lover of art. Future filmmaker. Here to help. ✞ :D

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby DarklightIndigo » Mon May 14, 2018 10:23 pm

I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said, so I've unlocked the series and Specials since actions speak louder. Season 4 is still locked to hopefully keep the revisions to a minimum, but we'll have to see how this all shakes out to determine if we make these exceptions in the future.

It may be a partial victory at this point, but I'd encourage anyone to add the remixes to Specials with the relevant DVD Order (yes, there's a display issue, but this should not affect the API and I'll gladly take a look at any episodes that seem to be mis-entered).

gabrielwalmeida

Postby gabrielwalmeida » Tue May 15, 2018 8:50 am

DarklightIndigo, I've added the episodes to Specials and I'd want you to take a look to see if everything is correct. I haven't yet added overviews, once you cleared it, I'll gladly add them (and episode images and the rest of the data). I also didn't add anything to the titles to specify that this is part of the Remix Season, because I didn't know if it would be allowed or necessary.
Awaiting your response
Thank you very much
Gabriel

https://www.thetvdb.com/series/arrested ... /seasons/0

sudoterminal

Postby sudoterminal » Tue May 15, 2018 2:21 pm

I think adding Remix to the title would be good personally, to distinguish them from "normal" specials. But if that goes against naming conventions or site rules then I'll quiet down about it.

That being said, thanks for opening them Darklight.

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby DarklightIndigo » Tue May 15, 2018 8:22 pm

They look good, I would only add that the titles should maybe carry "Season 4 Remix: " to clarify what these are, and DVD Season should be set to 4 as it doesn't seem the official DVDs will acknowledge the original airings at this time.

gabrielwalmeida

Postby gabrielwalmeida » Tue May 15, 2018 8:38 pm

Okay. Thank you very much for your understanding and for opening the dialogue. Tomorrow I'll fix them and add full descriptions and images.