Please add more variety to featured TV series and Movies

Discussion about the website and interfaces.
Report general bugs here.
Forum rules
This forum is now read-only. Support for TheTVDB.com is now available at https://support.thetvdb.com/
Kyo28

Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:50 am

Hello

I like the fact you have a 'featured' section on the landing page. It's a fun feature I use to find some series or movies I didn't know yet or haven't watched yet. But lately I've noticed that the selection has become very limited. It seems you only feature series and movies starring African-American actors. I know you might think it's cool to do this in these BLM days, but come on, I'd like to have some variety.

It would be nice if you could revert your featured selection back to the former setting where we had a wide range and variety of shows and movies popping up, instead of a turning it into a BLM poster sign.
bluesquirrel

Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:10 am

haha, you are right. I wonder if that is just a co-incidence.
Timelife08094

Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:13 pm

I'm confused. The featured shows include a comedy, a horror show, a love story, and a paranormal reality show. Seems like quite the variety to me.
bluesquirrel

Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:19 pm

Read the 3rd sentence of the first paragraph
Kyo28

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:07 am

Timelife08094 wrote:
I'm confused. The featured shows include a comedy, a horror show, a love story, and a paranormal reality show. Seems like quite the variety to me.
Variety in genre, yes. Variety in casting, not so much. For example, why are there no Japanese series or anime? Where did all the Caucasian or Asian actors go? I love diversity but offering only TV shows and movies that feature African-American actors is not diversity, it's BLM pandering... and it actually makes me not want to watch these shows.

The page refreshed with new featured shows and movies, again, every single one of them featuring only African-Americans:
Kenan & Kel
They've gotta have us
Lovecraft Country
Godfather of Harlem
If Beale Street could talk
42 the Jackie Robinson Story
The Banker
The Photograph

8 Featured, all African American. Or am I the only one seeing this?

Can't we just ignore politics and be ... you know, normal? Just let an algorithm randomly pick a movie or show. That would be cool.
ChristyEzzell
Site Admin

Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:27 pm

Kyo28 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:07 am
Timelife08094 wrote:
Variety in genre, yes. Variety in casting, not so much. For example, why are there no Japanese series or anime? Where did all the Caucasian or Asian actors go? I love diversity but offering only TV shows and movies that feature African-American actors is not diversity, it's BLM pandering... and it actually makes me not want to watch these shows.

The page refreshed with new featured shows and movies, again, every single one of them featuring only African-Americans:
Kenan & Kel
They've gotta have us
Lovecraft Country
Godfather of Harlem
If Beale Street could talk
42 the Jackie Robinson Story
The Banker
The Photograph

8 Featured, all African American. Or am I the only one seeing this?

Can't we just ignore politics and be ... you know, normal? Just let an algorithm randomly pick a movie or show. That would be cool.
The home page is going to be overhauled shortly. We will address this when that work is done.
cow666

Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:10 pm

Is Jordan Peele guest moderating the recommended section?