Locking Series is a backwards way to deal with vandalism

Discussion about the website and interfaces.
Report general bugs here.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SERIES REQUESTS HERE.
Use the appropriate forum.
Requests posted here are subject to immediate deletion.
MrsAngelD

Locking Series is a backwards way to deal with vandalism

Postby MrsAngelD » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:59 pm

TheTVDB obviously records who performed edits on shows. Why is it not possible to only lock the person doing the vandalism from editing a show instead of locking the whole show and preventing other actual contributors from adding information. With such a large database of TV shows it is very time consuming and a very unorganized approach to expect moderators to make changes based on requests. Not only does it require contributors to make the requests, it then requires there to be a moderator willing to take the time to make the changes, sometimes not done for weeks if done at all. There has to be a better way to deal with these types of problems.

Imzadi
Site Moderator

Re: Locking Series is a backwards way to deal with vandalism

Postby Imzadi » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:05 pm

Don't you think, if it was that easy, we wouldn't do it?

MrsAngelD

Postby MrsAngelD » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:07 pm

You obviously have the needed information, can you not ban users (Vandalizers)? What about allowing users to "Adopt a Series" whereby they get privileges to add the information and if they screw up then they lose those privileges.

buckybrns

Postby buckybrns » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:10 pm

that would be great, because it's really sucks, it have MANY tv shows that are locked and needing updates :roll: :roll:

annomatik

Postby annomatik » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:09 pm

Adopting a TV show... Cool idea :-)

Dsnake1

Postby Dsnake1 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:42 pm

Adopting locked shows would be pretty neat, although in my experience most of the locked shows are already ended.

But the reason they can't just ban the user who vandalizes (which I'm sure they do anyway) is it doesn't matter. They'll just create a new account.

MrsAngelD

Postby MrsAngelD » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:06 pm

Dsnake1 wrote:Adopting locked shows would be pretty neat, although in my experience most of the locked shows are already ended.

But the reason they can't just ban the user who vandalizes (which I'm sure they do anyway) is it doesn't matter. They'll just create a new account.

I get that point, but there has to be a better way then the current way to handle things. Especially when the amount of requests which go unanswered is quite large.

loyis7

Postby loyis7 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:20 am

MrsAngelD wrote:You obviously have the needed information, can you not ban users (Vandalizers)? What about allowing users to "Adopt a Series" whereby they get privileges to add the information and if they screw up then they lose those privileges.

Adopt a series sounds good to me also! ;)

Another way, is you could grant limited permissions. For example permissions to people who ask to have them and who shows a real interest on genuinely help the database. You could then let a period of time to check them out, and if they are ok they can keep their specific role of limited moderating status. If they mess up they get banned and their ip also.

By limited permissions of moderating status that could be for example:
Firstly they will have to state in which language they would like to contribute. Once they do, they will be capable to make changes ONLY in that specific language in any series (locked or not locked) and not to others. Then they can have access to make changes on any series but again ONLY on the title of an episode, on the synopsis of an episode and to add a poster of the series maybe or a screenshot of the episode. Nothing else.

Just an idea...... ;)
Top Contributor to Blu-Ray.com
Major Contributor to TheMovieDB
My Movie Trailers channel in YouTube
My Movie Trailers group in Facebook

c2r

Postby c2r » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:53 pm

That all sounds good, along with having higher permissions on a series or episode that you yourself added...

saitei

Postby saitei » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:44 pm

I just fail to see the point of even letting people edit shows then, if they're supposed to go to a forum and request that a mod handles it for them. Why not just have all changes users make become requests for approval instead of relying on a phpbb forum? It's a weird honeypot situation that becomes the bottleneck for anyone using media managers. The lack of transparency on why something is locked doesn't help either. If someone has to consciously make the decision to lock a series, it should require writing a quick blurb on why it was locked, show the edit history, etc. To just nuke or lock a series with zero transparency is odd. There could even be a requirement to add a commit message to every edit, or have discussion pages on each show.

Apologies if this already exists and I overlooked it, or if it's in the scope of v2.