Site slowness

Discussion about the website and interfaces.
Report general bugs here.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SERIES REQUESTS HERE.
Use the appropriate forum.
Requests posted here are subject to immediate deletion.
MrsAngelD

Re: Site slowness

Postby MrsAngelD » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:53 pm

I've been trying to save the same episode for 25 minutes now. I keep bouncing back and forth between 405 errors, 503 errors, and SQLSTATE[HY000] [1040] Too many connections errors.

Scythe42
Trusted Translator

Postby Scythe42 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:58 pm

Well, it was almost unbearable slow in the last couple of months, not the usual downtime now and then as it has been as far back as a I can remember. But in the recent weeks the site is almost not reachable anymore. Guess it's slowly dying and the admins don't care or there would be some communication. I already stopped entering stuff more and more and rely on local NFOs because it's nearly impossible to enter a lot without constant 504 or DB connection errors. Well after many many years it looks like it's time to move on...

theraster

Postby theraster » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:21 pm

just checking to see if there is any update on the current outage

ntropic

Postby ntropic » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:39 pm

SQLSTATE[08004] [1040] Too many connections

Again and all day so far... :cry:

annomatik

Postby annomatik » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:01 pm

Tip: If it's only about looking at thetvdb.com , a lot of pages (not all of them) are cached by Google and most of them (not all of them) quite current.

So, if you are using Google Chrome, not sure, if it's that easy in other browsers:

Instead of https://www.thetvdb.com/series/universe/seasons/all use
cache:https://www.thetvdb.com/series/universe/seasons/all

(in the address bar, you can also reach it with Strg+L / Ctrl+L)

to find those URLs, just search for "thetvdb <Series Name>" on Google and find the URL you need.

Mistywing

Postby Mistywing » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:03 pm

The site is effectively unusable and despite my precautions of loading the page showing the result before attempting to re-add an episode after encountering any error, I still added a duplicate episode to the record.

Also that single addition took like thirty minutes.

bluesquirrel

Postby bluesquirrel » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:14 pm

This site is just useless now. I have been trying to grab info to help a member and I have spent an unwanted 30 minutes trying to gain access to the information I need. Absolutely useless.

Admins... You obviously have serious problems with the site and your administration. But rather than keeping a dialogue open with your volunteer members to try to keep us on side and help out in any way we can, you have effectively shunned us and provided us with a useless 3rd rate site with all the problems inherent in such a site.

Where do you see this site in 12 months time? Will your database be outdated by then, with so few members wanting to spend any valuable free time they have working here?

rozzano99

Postby rozzano99 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:47 pm

It's always down. Enough.

loyis7

Postby loyis7 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:58 pm

bluesquirrel wrote:
dchamb wrote:Is there another site with the same/similar content that is more reliable?

Yes, TheMovieDB

A more active community, better all round communication and almost every title is unlocked and relies on policing by the community, unlike the approach taken by TheTVDB where most entries are locked and require submitting reports that get filed for later action, which seems to have an 11 month backlog.

I TOTALLY agree with you !!!

Here in TheTVDB, they act like WE (the contributors) get payed to contribute and we get treated like a 3rd world country primitives or something, by having ALL OF THE MOST KNOWN TITLES LOCKED, and have to submit reports in order to update EVERYTHING AROUND HERE. Reports that are granted or denied after months and months of just waiting......!!!!!!

In the other hand, the guys over at TheMovieDB have ALL of their titles open freely for anyone to contribute, as those websites SHOULD BE in the first place.

Why should you have them closed in the first place ??? Why TheMovieDB have them opened and you don't see people there messing around with the titles, and causing problem ???

I leave it up to all of you to decide which one of these two database websites is in a good path and which one isn't......
Which one is right, and which one is wrong......
Top Contributor to Blu-Ray.com
Major Contributor to TheMovieDB
My Movie Trailers channel in YouTube
My Movie Trailers group in Facebook

Mistywing

Postby Mistywing » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:49 pm

loyis7 wrote:Why TheMovieDB have them opened and you don't see people there messing around with the titles, and causing problem ???

Because people are shitty. I'm sure you can imagine that someone dislikes TVDB more than you do and that this person decides to vandalize it because it's somehow fucking hilarious. FYI: they were advertising their own website in the vandalism they performed, so the motive was pretty damn clear.

I also have my doubts that TMDB doesn't have to deal with vandalism.