Efficiency of Episode Editing

Discussion about the website and interfaces.
Report general bugs here.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SERIES REQUESTS HERE.
Use the appropriate forum.
Requests posted here are subject to immediate deletion.
lopek

Efficiency of Episode Editing

Postby lopek » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:00 pm

I've just taken over an hour to add an air date & image to 30 consecutive episodes of the same series & title corrections to a couple of same episodes. That's a ridiculous amount of time for simple changes. While part of the time is due to how slow the site is running, the current system is massively inefficient for both the user & server load with the number of page loads involved.

Why do I have to go to 3 different forms to edit one episode:
- Title & Synopsis
- Everything else

For the episodes that I was correcting the title it involved 6 separate page loads, for the rest 4. Even if the site was running really quickly that's really slow & overly complicated. Why can't all the episode information be on a single form - maybe as an option alongside the current forms if the admins believe a single form may be too long/complicated for new users?

Ideally I'd like to see a single form with a "Save & Edit Next" button that would save & then jump you straight to the next episode edit form. That way you'd have a single page load per episode edit making it far quicker - and taking load off the server too.

There's loads of series that I come across that have missing info & images that are easily available - in particular BBC series - but right now adding that is so time consuming & frustrating I have very little motivation to add it. I really think this is an area that needs looking at.

Mistywing

Re: Efficiency of Episode Editing

Postby Mistywing » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:36 am

I calculated 15 seconds of wait time per page load with the web dev tools the other day. Tallying up what you said is ~35 minutes of wait time. Pretty crazy.
On the other matter, I am totally with you.

lopek

Postby lopek » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:23 am

Mistywing wrote:I calculated 15 seconds of wait time per page load with the web dev tools the other day. Tallying up what you said is ~35 minutes of wait time. Pretty crazy.
On the other matter, I am totally with you.

Thanks for the reply, completely missed that sub-forum about v2. I read trough here & found no similar threads... now I know why! :)

Daskarzine

Postby Daskarzine » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:38 pm

I'm with you, it's all so slow!

annomatik

Postby annomatik » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:15 am

I agree. Personally, I can see, why it was changed, but for power-users, the old GUI was better. You know, just add the title for all the new episodes on (just) one screen and edit the details in afterwards. Together with the site slowness, adding stuff can be pretty frustrating.

Daskarzine

Postby Daskarzine » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:02 pm

It's all so slow, I only update less than a dozen episodes a week and it takes so long I'm having to think about giving it away..

et_tu_Brute

Postby et_tu_Brute » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:43 pm

... I agree... no incentive to contribute editorial changes, updates etc if this site is managed the way it currenty is... Personally, I don't like to take unless I may be able to give assistance in return. I have seen too many sites like this that have in an attempt to maintain integrity and standards have lost so much valuable support due to pedantry etc. that folks just give up or go elsewhere...

MrsAngelD

Postby MrsAngelD » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:37 pm

One thing that could be done to speed up the process is adding an "add episode" button to the page where the "Next Episode" button normally appears when there is a next episode.