search not working correct

Discussion about the website and interfaces.
Report general bugs here.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SERIES REQUESTS HERE.
Use the appropriate forum.
Requests posted here are subject to immediate deletion.
desperado591

search not working correct

Postby desperado591 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:24 am

Hi there,

since a few weeks I am experiencing some problems with the search function of tvdb concerning German series. I will give you an example to explain, as my English is not the best.

Entering thetvdb.com my default search setting is "German" (I guess because of my browser settings) and that is fine as I am from Germany.

Now I am entering "Get Shorty" into the search field at the upper right corner and hit Enter. The result is "no result" with the offer to try it in all languages. So now I am searching within all languages and it returns "Get Shorty" with the ID 328650 in English and Espanol. Furthermore it shows me "Get Shorty" in Deutsch without any ID.

When entering the direct URL to "Get Shorty" with the 14 at the end for "German" (https://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=328650&lid=14), I am landing on the relevant page with the german description and the german episode titles BUT there is no german show name.

So my question is: Why is there no ID on the German version (I guess that is the reason, why I can not find it) and how can I fix that? I tried to enter "Get Shorty" as the german show name, but I am not able to enter anything in the relevant field.

"Get Shorty" was just an example as I encountered that problem with various series during the last few weeks.

Imzadi
Site Moderator

Re: search not working correct

Postby Imzadi » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:24 am

You can't find it in German, because the was no German title. You have to make a request here. I have added it for you.

desperado591

Postby desperado591 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:38 am

Thank you for your reply.

But why must there be a German title, when it is the same in Germany? If the show is called different in Germany I would understand that, but with the same name?

So there is no way to fill in the German title by myself on the mainpage like for example the German episode titles?

Imzadi
Site Moderator

Postby Imzadi » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:36 am

It doesn't matter if the title is the same or not. If you searching via the website you'll only find it if you search all languages. I believe it's different with the API.

And why you can't change it? Because we can't have nice things.

DarklightIndigo wrote:Yes, unfortunately, we had widespread abuse of the series title field and had to lock it down. Imagine looking up Darkwing Duck and getting a rather more... adult title, and you'll see the extent of the problem.

That said, v2 of the site should have the ability to lock or roll back individual series titles, so this restriction should expire with the current site.

desperado591

Postby desperado591 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:44 am

Okay so at the moment it is just more complicated for foreign languages... but I understand the procedure now.

Thanks again for your help.

Coco
Site Admin

Postby Coco » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:23 pm

You can set your language to whatever you want. The site will then return results in that language. It's not going to give you matches in another language just because it's the same name, that could mean hundreds of extra results for you to wade through. Although if you want it to do that we still allow it by clicking on search all languages.
Please don't PM me. Post in the forums instead unless there is a very good reason for a PM or I won't respond.