Site Slowness - 2017/03/06

Discussion about the website and interfaces.
Report general bugs here.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SERIES REQUESTS HERE.
Use the appropriate forum.
Requests posted here are subject to immediate deletion.
elprice7345

Re: Site Slowness - 2017/03/06

Postby elprice7345 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:16 pm

It was running fine and then I just got a Cloudflare error

rschiks

Postby rschiks » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:17 am

Yes, it was running fine for a while. Now it's down again.

bluesquirrel

Postby bluesquirrel » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:24 pm

Well these last few posts have been interesting. Being a fairly recent addition to the community, I had no idea that the operation was so "tight" financially.

If I can add another viewpoint....

1. A "Donation" that is required monthly to unlock special benefits can no longer be considered a Donation. Rather, it is a Service Charge

2. Not all Donations are Fiscal in nature. There are Moderators donating their time. Are they expected to pay a further Fiscal Donation. There are Community Members that are also donating their time... Are they expected to pay a Fiscal Donation?

I am sure that there are users in the community that have made hundreds or thousands of additions/amendments/updates to the database. Probably spent hundreds of hours doing that. Yet, are they supposed to be placed on the same level as Joe Blow who uses an API to download all the data he wants and provides no benefit to the site at all?

Maybe there should be a two pronged approach...
1. Fiscal Donation(s)
2. Other Donations- calculated on the contribution the user makes to the site.

I know I would be very angry if I had made thousands of contributions to the site and it accounts for nothing.

Just my thoughts.

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby DarklightIndigo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:42 am

Again, very much speculation on my part, and I very much doubt that we'd do anything to directly impact the site or general API usage. My concern is more that we're apparently being flooded with API requests, and I have to wonder whether everyone that's making a commercial product is properly covering the usage costs of the servers they're hammering. Free users don't legitimately push millions of requests per IP in the course of one day.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

bluesquirrel

Postby bluesquirrel » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:26 am

Again, very much speculation on my part

Yes, fully understood. I understand this is just general gossip and "what If" type talk.

Free users don't legitimately push millions of requests per IP in the course of one day.

Ok, being a newbie, I am obviously not yet aware of the full scope of this site. You mention "commercial products"... are we talking about products like Kodi and similar? What other types of commercial products or users would be sending millions of requests from one IP?

On a completely different note... When inserting quotes into a message, how do you add the original posters name in the quote after the quotation marks??

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby DarklightIndigo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:54 am

bluesquirrel wrote:Ok, being a newbie, I am obviously not yet aware of the full scope of this site. You mention "commercial products"... are we talking about products like Kodi and similar? What other types of commercial products or users would be sending millions of requests from one IP?

Kodi technically isn't one as they're a non-profit open-source project, but Plex and JRiver would both qualify - both have commercial licences, and Plex set up their own caching servers to help alleviate the additional usage by their many users.

What I find disconcerting is that some smaller projects use our free API for testing, gather a somewhat decent userbase, then start charging for unlockers or such and never pay back into the servers - while continuing to draw from the free API, making life harder for legitimate free users. Some of the projects make the switch, but I'm left to wonder just how many of them don't realise that this behaviour is problematic inasmuch as it's taking for granted that unpaid servers will self-maintain.

I'm actually grateful that zag has done as much with his *db sites as he has, because without alternatives, the community would be ass-out when they stop donating. Just look at TVtome and the original TVrage.

bluesquirrel wrote:On a completely different note... When inserting quotes into a message, how do you add the original posters name in the quote after the quotation marks??

Like so

Code: Select all

[quote="bluesquirrel"]Some Text[/quote]

Produces
bluesquirrel wrote:Some Text

You can even nest URLs, for example

Code: Select all

[quote="[url=https://forums.thetvdb.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=4&t=35963#pr112210]bluesquirrel[/url]"]Some Text[/quote]

Produces
bluesquirrel wrote:Some Text
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

bluesquirrel

Postby bluesquirrel » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:05 am

DarklightIndigo wrote:
Kodi technically isn't one as they're a non-profit open-source project, but Plex and JRiver would both qualify - both have commercial licences, and Plex set up their own caching servers to help alleviate the additional usage by their many users.

What I find disconcerting is that some smaller projects use our free API for testing, gather a somewhat decent userbase, then start charging for unlockers or such and never pay back into the servers - while continuing to draw from the free API, making life harder for legitimate free users. Some of the projects make the switch, but I'm left to wonder just how many of them don't realise that this behaviour is problematic inasmuch as it's taking for granted that unpaid servers will self-maintain.

Thanks for taking the time to explain some of the inner workings. It has given me a better understanding of the challenges. I hadn't heard of the two other sites TVTome and TVrage. But a quick search and read explained it. It seems to be a somewhat volatile sector.

And thanks for the "quoting" tuition!!

elprice7345

Postby elprice7345 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:53 pm

I haven't seen any issues with the site or the API in a few days.

Thanks for fixing it!

rschiks

Postby rschiks » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:08 pm

Me neither. Everything is running fine now. A big thank you is definitely in order!

danyboy666

Postby danyboy666 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:41 pm

Still under maintenance I think I keep getting error while trying to acces the site. I don't even get to cloudflare.

Every new year it's the same and usually it's fixed pretty quickly I don't know why this year is different than the other year though. 3 months in and we are still having lots of issue trying to acces the site.

Btw, are there issue related to the fact that whole season/episode screen caps are being deleted from several series? I usually get and answer where a script might have broken something but still it's pretty anoying to put all these efforts to see it gone in a whim,