Site Slowness - 2017/03/06

Discussion about the website and interfaces.
Report general bugs here.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SERIES REQUESTS HERE.
Use the appropriate forum.
Requests posted here are subject to immediate deletion.
rteegarden

Re: Site Slowness - 2017/03/06

Postby rteegarden » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:52 pm

So what I have been seeing is the HTTPS is not working, or very very slow for downloading images, however HTTP is working fine for those images. Not sure on the API side though, I am having issues with Emby since it uses the API to grab images etc. I will have to look at the logs.

tanimislam1978

Postby tanimislam1978 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:24 pm

In the SF Bay Area

devildant

Postby devildant » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:54 am

polargeek wrote:Where are you located? I've seen no outages since Sunday and have been on the site off and on all morning.

Please Note I can't actually fix anything just gathering data

Hello,
I use the api since france.
The access problems must be linked to a max tcp connected or a problem of ddos.
Have you ever considered making a paid version (monthly) unlimiting trafic and a free version limiting trafic ?
Personally, pay a few dollars a month to benefit from a stable service, I will agree

best regards

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby DarklightIndigo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:02 am

This could be one possibility under consideration for making the site more reliable, the end result being that priority paid access coupled with donations could improve the bottom line for everyone by helping finance upgrades and regular maintenance.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

devildant

Postby devildant » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:20 am

DarklightIndigo wrote:This could be one possibility under consideration for making the site more reliable, the end result being that priority paid access coupled with donations could improve the bottom line for everyone by helping finance upgrades and regular maintenance.

I agree, I know you are working with the donation.
Making a paid offer will allow you to have a more constant cash return.
This will allow you to have better server ...

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby DarklightIndigo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:25 am

I can't speak in absolutes, but we are looking into how such a thing could be implemented without leaving large portions of our userbase feeling like they got screwed. Paid access financing improvements that are ultimately available to all users is one way. Early adoption isn't exactly new. 8-)

rschiks

Postby rschiks » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:50 am

DarklightIndigo wrote:This could be one possibility under consideration for making the site more reliable, the end result being that priority paid access coupled with donations could improve the bottom line for everyone by helping finance upgrades and regular maintenance.

I also think this is a good idea!

Is there any update on when the API will be working again?

ivanmaxx

Postby ivanmaxx » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:49 am

devildant wrote:Making a paid offer will allow you to have a more constant cash return.
This will allow you to have better server ...

...and a lot of less users, nearly zero contributors and zero project supporters like Kodi community.

The TVDB is "an open database that can be modified by anybody. [...] All content and images on the site have been contributed by our users and are licensed under a Creative Commons [...] License."

So... if TheTVDB becomes a paying site I suspect legal issues could arise... and I bet most users will look for alternatives like TMDB, which now includes TV series and other contents.

If you guys need help, money or wherever publish an announcement. I'm sure people will respond. But force users to pay for contributed content (regardless of the modality chosen) is immoral, is the beginning of the end...

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby DarklightIndigo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:10 am

Oh yes, I'd forgotten how Kodi isn't adopted because they accept donations.

All sarcasm aside, this is why I clarified that of course this is all speculation at this time. The upshot is that we need donations to keep the site running, and those have been sorely lacking, despite all those project supporters everyone claims are in full abundance. So, if people are willing to contribute financially for priority access to our servers - which is our right, and not even slightly prohibited by any reasonable interpretation of the law - that's an avenue that we'll have to consider.

We're not talking about cutting off free access or artificially limiting data, we're talking about benefits to incentivise early adopters to bring up the bottom line. If those don't happen, and donations continue to suffer, you as an end user need to seriously consider what will happen to your metadata when the well runs dry. This is a project for passion first and foremost, but without cash or hardware donations to keep it running, it will continue to be a money pit until the founders can no longer sustain it.

EDIT
All this said, I would still very much be in favour of expense tracking / fulfillment ratios (server hardware / bandwidth / colo / miscellaneous) so we all can see more real numbers than "every bit helps".

EDIT #2
In the interest of full disclosure, this is hardly the only option under consideration. We're also looking into reviewing compliance with the terms of the free API, and potentially offering more frequent full database dumps to parties willing to cover the additional overhead. Most commercial projects are already in compliance, but just one reasonably popular paid project making daily calls could be enough to seriously impact our resources, and the odds that they'll continue to get a free lunch after their initial testing period are not and should not be guaranteed - particularly if we place value on free and open access to individuals. However, if those same projects ponied up their own caching servers, it'd be much more difficult for us to say that the needs of free users override their project needs on their own equipment.

devildant

Postby devildant » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:05 am

DarklightIndigo wrote:
We're not talking about cutting off free access or artificially limiting data, we're talking about benefits to incentivise early adopters to bring up the bottom line. If those don't happen, and donations continue to suffer, you as an end user need to seriously consider what will happen to your metadata when the well runs dry. This is a project for passion first and foremost, but without cash or hardware donations to keep it running, it will continue to be a money pit until the founders can no longer sustain it.

+ 1 :)

The idea I had at the base,
It was a paid version, with a prioritization of the queries, and may be more accurate concerning the modification of a series (for example, to add a serial name in another language)
These are just a few ideas. Many of us use the API and I think there are very few people who give money voluntarily.
So I thought that offering a paid version with advantage would allow for a constant cash flow, which would improve the stability of the API for everyone.
I am French, and I can tell you that there is very few alternative to thetvdb, find a database as rich with French, it is very hard.
So I would be willing to pay a few dollars, if it helps to maintain this database