Why We Don't Allow Copyright Violations

Discussion about the website and interfaces.
Report general bugs here.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SERIES REQUESTS HERE.
Use the appropriate forum.
Requests posted here are subject to immediate deletion.
DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Why We Don't Allow Copyright Violations

Postby DarklightIndigo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:56 pm

perspicacia wrote:Not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, but I wanted to reply to your post (viewtopic.php?p=92714#p92721) which is locked, and as you have disabled Private Messages and there are no other Contact details in your profile I was left with little choice...

Firstly I must apologize if you took offence to my post, I am new to this and I am sorry if I did not follow the proper protocol.

I certainly was not whining, moaning, or complaining! If I wanted to whine, moan or complain the tone and tenor of my comments would have been a lot stronger, but there is not point in that - it goes nowhere. I was merely pointing out how frustrating it is when a series is locked but not kept up to date. Many of us are happy to contribute to help keep things up to date, but cannot when series are locked. The ability to add the appropriate information to series and it be instantly available for scrobbling is one of the attractive things about the site and I hope that stays the case.

Secondly what is wrong with copying and pasting an overview from somewhere else? Looking at the one that has been added the one I suggested is far better, and I did not copy it from youtube. It came from the site I downloaded the episode from.

Please don't take offense by anything I say, I was just trying to help and perhaps add some constructive criticism. I obviously failed and am sorry about that.

I'm going to answer, since nobody should have to waste time on this.

The DMCA, or Digital Millennium Copyright Act, passed U.S. legislature in 1998.
This act makes copyright infringement a criminal act, with willful violation worth treble damages.
Copyright infringement is no longer strictly a matter for personal lawsuits.

This site has its servers located in the United States.
Where online jurisdiction is concerned, the host nation wins.

Basically, every time a user posts copyrighted content, they are participating in illegal conversion. We can let that slip by because OCILLA "Safe Harbour" basically states that we're only liable if a copyright holder complains, their complaint is found to be valid, and we do nothing to address the complaint. When users ask us to directly add those copyvios, if we knowingly do so, we lose those protections.

Essentially, if we support copyright infringement, we can be held legally liable. If the wrong people get ahold of that information, we can be lumped in with illicit download sites, and lose our site.

Does that explain the problem any clearer?
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

perspicacia

Re: Why We Don't Allow Copyright Violations

Postby perspicacia » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:26 am

Thanks for the explanation. I don't believe anything I posted infringed any copyright, but it explains why you have to be so careful.
Thanks

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:48 am

You copied and pasted an episode description directly from NBC. You could argue that it's non-infringing but I suspect their legal group would disagree. :p

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby DarklightIndigo » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:37 am

As an addendum, some services are less likely to pursue copyright claims on episode summaries. Comcast isn't historically known as being okay with appropriation.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

Michaeltug

Why We Dont Allow Copyright Violations

Postby Michaeltug » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:04 pm

I dont want to disagree with you, but you might want to consider training in your calculation to remain fully supportable.