How did TVDB get to this point?

Discussion about the website and interfaces.
Report general bugs here.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SERIES REQUESTS HERE.
Use the appropriate forum.
Requests posted here are subject to immediate deletion.
bluesquirrel

How did TVDB get to this point?

Postby bluesquirrel » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:04 pm

TheMovieDB has released its statistics for 2018... https://www.themoviedb.org/2018

Scrolling to near the bottom of the page reveals some very interesting information for the site

3,372,439 Movie edits this year
74,809 Movies added this year

3,237,755 TV edits this year
17,129 TV shows added this year

457,864 Images added this year
253,450 People added this year

Would the team be interested in sharing the TVDB statistics?

rev.pragon

Re: How did TVDB get to this point?

Postby rev.pragon » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:09 am

Comparing to the Years before? It would be very interesting but i´m pretty sure this won´t happen.

bluesquirrel

Postby bluesquirrel » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:12 pm

I think you are right @rev.pragon

It is all too closed and secretive here. There is no transparency at all.

The 2017 statistics... https://www.themoviedb.org/2017

Mistywing

Postby Mistywing » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:35 pm

You know this site has an open API you can use to make the same calls used to generate similar statistics, right?

Like get: /updated/query to list all the recently updated series... Call that 52 times for each week of last year and you get all the series updated last year (by number / ID.)

Once you have that list and if you refresh it periodically, notice changes, you can dig down in the particular series ID and notice the changed information to increment relevant counters.

Seems like a lot of work but possible.

It could be built in already but you seem to be the first to ask for this, hence the lack of reports. If it is I'd say give them a chance before making a decision on the state of things.

bluesquirrel

Postby bluesquirrel » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:14 am

You know this site has an open API you can use to make the same calls used to generate similar statistics, right?

No, I did not know that. I am not an coder, so I don't know. After looking at your link, I am no closer to figuring it out.

It could be built in already but you seem to be the first to ask for this

No, I am not the first. I have previously asked for this information but so have others.

If it is I'd say give them a chance before making a decision on the state of things.

Really @Mistywing?? Come on, look at all the outstanding requests for the last 15 months to fix the site, let alone requests to fix errors in tv show data. I think everybody here can pretty much make a decision on the state of things. ;)

Mistywing

Postby Mistywing » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:31 am

bluesquirrel wrote:
It could be built in already but you seem to be the first to ask for this

No, I am not the first. I have previously asked for this information but so have others.

Can't find it, nor can I find "others" asking for this with the forum search. My apologies if you did, but there is no record. This thread is pretty close to the top on my Google search results too.
What was asked for are statistics based on API usage, which among the projects (Such as KODI, Plex, TVTime, etc) are making the most requests. This is not what you asked for.

RE: state of things. That's not what I meant. You're deciding that the administration is being secretive of these statistics without giving them the chance to provide them or an explanation; or even without consideration for the API functions which could allow one to build an application capable of gathering some of them.

The rest you mention, such as the backlog and lack of updates, is disagreeable to everyone (I'm lacking tools do do stuff more efficiently for example) but wasn't part of the scope of my remark.
Since you brought it up though, I hope you understand that if something needs to be put together for such a report to be compiled, it will be time spent away from fixing the other issues.

bluesquirrel

Postby bluesquirrel » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:46 am

The rest you mention, such as the backlog and lack of updates, is disagreeable to everyone (I'm lacking tools do do stuff more efficiently for example) but wasn't part of the scope of my remark.

Ah, ok. Understand, thanks..

Since you brought it up though, I hope you understand that if something needs to be put together for such a report to be compiled, it will be time spent away from fixing the other issues.

Yes, this I understand. It is just the lack of information and visible progress that is very frustrating. But... I don't know why I persist here, as I have completely stopped any edits here. I now edit at TMDB, (shortly hitting 3,500 edits). I suppose I still feel some sort of attachement (and disappointment) to this site.

Thanks @Mistywing.

rev.pragon

Postby rev.pragon » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:58 am

It is just the lack of information and visible progress that is very frustrating. But... I don't know why I persist here

same. Maybe the Hope that the Site will go back to the normaly function as it was before. Also i´m pretty sure the new Site wasn´t developed and went online the Way the Admins wished.