503 Server Error?

Discussion about the website and interfaces.
Report general bugs here.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SERIES REQUESTS HERE.
Use the appropriate forum.
Requests posted here are subject to immediate deletion.
cmh31909

Re: 503 Server Error?

Postby cmh31909 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:19 am

>I hear trakt is making some good progress lately.

Unfortunately, according to the Trakt people, they get the majority of data from this site.

xnaas

Postby xnaas » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:20 am

https://www.themoviedb.org/ still seems to be my solid go-to whenever TVDB fails me.

cmh31909

Postby cmh31909 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:46 am

I was trying to enter some information into themoviedb.org website and it kept telling me I was sending Arabic or some other language (the message would change) and would not accept my submissions. I am in the USA and have never used any other language. I also tried it with several different browsers. I sent them an email message but never heard back....so I can't say I have a lot of confidence in that site either.

xnaas

Postby xnaas » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:59 am

cmh31909 wrote:I was trying to enter some information into themoviedb.org website and it kept telling me I was sending Arabic or some other language (the message would change) and would not accept my submissions. I am in the USA and have never used any other language. I also tried it with several different browsers. I sent them an email message but never heard back....so I can't say I have a lot of confidence in that site either.

That's pretty funny, tbh. The only time I've gotten language warnings is when copying and pasting info that has Japanese characters in it.

cmh31909

Postby cmh31909 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:13 pm

It was all manually typed, no strange characters or anything like that.
The funny thing is, it was only on parts of the website. For example, I could create a new show and season with no problem, but when I went to enter the episode information, I was getting those errors.

xnaas

Postby xnaas » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:48 pm

Odd.

Out of curiosity, are you using Firefox or Chrome? Any blocking stuff like uBlock Origin or Firefox's Tracking Protection?

Personally, I had to turn most of the blocking stuff off to get the site working 100% right for me. It's a little annoying, but there's no ads, so it doesn't really bother me any.

sp1ti

Postby sp1ti » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:31 pm

cmh31909 wrote:It was all manually typed, no strange characters or anything like that.
The funny thing is, it was only on parts of the website. For example, I could create a new show and season with no problem, but when I went to enter the episode information, I was getting those errors.

TMDB uses the google translation API to check for input language. Just write a bit more in the desired language or remove specific words which would match it to something else.

cmh31909 wrote:>I hear trakt is making some good progress lately.

Unfortunately, according to the Trakt people, they get the majority of data from this site.

Yes, trakt is taking pretty much all baseline TV info from here (including episode layouts) but supplements images from TMDB and Fanart.tv. But it's good that you bring this up because I think some of the recent posts here are forgetting something here... hosting a site is not free. See the raw numbers trakt had when they removed images from the API: https://apiblog.trakt.tv/trakt-api-images-56b43c356427 At one point sonarr had trakt as it's data feed, the site was almost constantly down. Nowdays they're using TVDB... Now who else is using TVDB? Everyone and their media center, countless app devs which are offering "tv-tracking" features for example who are now back to the "source" but you can be sure they are not serving the images on their end, it's each user requesting them (and depending on the quality of code QUITE a lot). Just looking at the graphs the page before show the usual user peaks on Sunday.

It is quite obvious to me that the revenue of the site can't be that amazing and I don't think there are full-time devs behind it (unlike TMDB for example has) BUT what really is frustrating here is that no one is communicating from TVDB's end. Even if suddenly everyone were to donate I wouldn't be sure if that actually helped or would be put to good use r/n... Trust is important and these issues are not helping (along with posting in a phpbb ;)).

sp1ti

Postby sp1ti » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:41 pm

Oh well, edit duration expired. But I wanted to add that before everyone is getting fed up by this you (TVDB) would most likely be better of loosing some of those extensive API/website users at peak hours than all the people trying to maintain a solid database. You are even being used by sites not in your terms of service like idk, rarbg, dognzbd and other usenet sites, etc. I'd imagine if you wanted you could make their life harder.

cmh31909

Postby cmh31909 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:43 pm

I would not have a problem donating, however, I'm not going to donate to a site where the admins are MIA and do not respond at all to situations like this. It makes me wonder if anyone is even running the site...lol

GldRush98

Postby GldRush98 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:48 pm

cmh31909 wrote:>I hear trakt is making some good progress lately.

And this site gets all of its information from the community members contributing to it... It wouldn't be that difficult for the community to shift to something that actually works right more than 65% of the time. I'm not saying it's time for that, but I'm saying it's the community who would make the decision.