2.0 Beta Discussion

Discussion about the website and interfaces.
Report general bugs here.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SERIES REQUESTS HERE.
Use the appropriate forum.
Requests posted here are subject to immediate deletion.
DarklightIndigo
Leo of the East Bay

Re: 2.0 Beta Discussion

Postby DarklightIndigo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:54 pm

On the points of 1 and 4, what are your thoughts on having a "Named Seasons" option that would both bring that possibility out of the obscurity of Translations, and could potentially serve as a toggle for Season theme songs (in light of how series with named seasons tend to be produced, defaulting to Off)?
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

Coco
Site Admin

Postby Coco » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:43 pm

Point 1 was about named seasons, or at least I answered it as such, I assumed he was referring to seasons as series as some places do. The new site already supports it. What do you mean by bring it out of translations? It has to stay in translations as names can be different for every language.
Please don't PM me. Post in the forums instead unless there is a very good reason for a PM or I won't respond.

Big Chris

Postby Big Chris » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:14 pm

Should have explained it better, but it was late and I was getting tired.
Click on Discover
Click on Countries - Countries are listed in order, select a country (I picked UK)
The next page lists networks, but they are not in alphabetical order, same if I pick US for country, and there's no option to sort.
Same when I go Discover > Networks (Networks are in order) > BBC One > The programmes listed are not in alphabetical order.
It goes:
Thursdays Child, Legit, Death in Holy Order, Ground Force, and so on, finishing with Bargin Hunt, The Trouble with Northern Island and the Matt Lucas Awards.
There's 63 pages at 21 programmes per page (20 on the last one) = 1322 programmes. Need a sorting option.

Theme Songs:
Theme songs can change by country. There's a german version of the Austrailian soap Neighbours, so under translations is proberbly the right place to have it.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/A ... veActionTV
The problem comes with themes changing between the likes of UK, US and Austrailia. I know some themes have changed between countries. If the translations list every country then it shouldn't be a problem. If it list languages then there is.

While on themes, which do you pick.
Series 1 & 2 main theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUsHr8fLQe0

Series 3 to 11 main theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVxFwH39FDs

Or the proberbly better known closing credits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ2bIT7W6iY

Biography and the API
I had a think about this today with the Colin Farrell, wrong actors listed in shows thing and there's something missing from the biography page, and from the API as well, and that is a point of reference.
I first noticed it years ago when I was using mediabrowser and I was looking at the cast list for Sherlock Holmes Faces Death (1943) and seeing all these black and white images when all of a sudden, a colour photo pops up. "Strange" I thought, maybe she was a child star. No, she wasn't even a fetus star, she was born 17 years after the film was made. That's when I first become aware of no point of reference problem with the API at that time. I just looked at the MovieDB site for the first time in ages, and it does appear that they are addressing the problem. Although there is still a problem with Colin Farrell, the Irish one being credited for the English ones work.
What's needed on the biograpghy page is an IMDB link (I can't think of anywhere else as a reasonable point of reference). Its used in the series API, but there's no field in the actors table, nor the episode as well, but the actor would be more important. Most times when I've entered an actors name in IMDB it's come up with more than one actor. So a point of reference would be a good idea on both the site and API. It can be justified with, people may want to see what films they've been in, or are there any series missing.
The one problem I forsee is with the existing data and moving the actor entries to the right people which does bring up that select actor pop up that I mentioned in the previous post as a solution

Episode API V1 and site
Whenever I've added an episode on the site I've always filled out the IMDB field, I'm sure I read it was a field in the V1 API, was I wasting my time, or has it just been miss in V2?

Coco
Site Admin

Postby Coco » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:03 pm

We'll discuss the theme issue internally, not sure what we'll do.

As for the sorting issues on discover, easy enough to fix, shouldn't be an issue.

In regards to the imdb links, no you haven't been wasting your time, we support them. In fact we expanded that and support a bunch of different remote ID's and have even set ourselves up to be able to support others in the future. The new site lists them under "External Links and IDs".

As for actors/people, we're already covered on that one. Actors now have ids and are linked by that, not by name. They also have "External Links and IDs" to link them to other sites. We no longer rely on links via the name itself. I'm sure there will be some issues when we initially switch over to the new site but going forward we'll be good. Users will have to fix issues with duplicate names getting confused after the initial conversion.
Please don't PM me. Post in the forums instead unless there is a very good reason for a PM or I won't respond.

bluesquirrel

Postby bluesquirrel » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:23 pm

Big Chris wrote:Click on Discover
Click on Countries - Countries are listed in order, select a country (I picked UK)

Where is Australia??

Mistywing

Postby Mistywing » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:27 pm

I made MistyTemp account.

Verification link results in:

Code: Select all

ReflectionException in Container.php line 779: Class TheTVDB\Http\Controllers\Auth/AuthController does not exist
    in Container.php line 779
    at ReflectionClass->__construct('TheTVDB\Http\Controllers\Auth/AuthController') in Container.php line 779
    at Container->build('TheTVDB\Http\Controllers\Auth/AuthController', array()) in Container.php line 659
    at Container->make('TheTVDB\Http\Controllers\Auth/AuthController', array()) in Application.php line 644
    at Application->make('TheTVDB\Http\Controllers\Auth/AuthController') in ControllerDispatcher.php line 83
    at ControllerDispatcher->makeController('TheTVDB\Http\Controllers\Auth/AuthController') in ControllerDispatcher.php line 54
    at ControllerDispatcher->dispatch(object(Route), object(Request), 'TheTVDB\Http\Controllers\Auth/AuthController', 'ActivateUserAccount') in Route.php line 204
    at Route->runWithCustomDispatcher(object(Request)) in Route.php line 134
    at Route->run(object(Request)) in Router.php line 701
    at Router->Illuminate\Routing\{closure}(object(Request))
    at call_user_func(object(Closure), object(Request)) in Pipeline.php line 141
    at Pipeline->Illuminate\Pipeline\{closure}(object(Request))
    at call_user_func(object(Closure), object(Request)) in Pipeline.php line 101
    at Pipeline->then(object(Closure)) in Router.php line 703
    at Router->runRouteWithinStack(object(Route), object(Request)) in Router.php line 670
    at Router->dispatchToRoute(object(Request)) in Router.php line 628
    at Router->dispatch(object(Request)) in Kernel.php line 214
    at Kernel->Illuminate\Foundation\Http\{closure}(object(Request))
    at call_user_func(object(Closure), object(Request)) in Pipeline.php line 141
    at Pipeline->Illuminate\Pipeline\{closure}(object(Request)) in VerifyCsrfToken.php line 43
    at VerifyCsrfToken->handle(object(Request), object(Closure)) in VerifyCsrfToken.php line 17
    at VerifyCsrfToken->handle(object(Request), object(Closure)) in Pipeline.php line 125
    at Pipeline->Illuminate\Pipeline\{closure}(object(Request)) in ShareErrorsFromSession.php line 55
    at ShareErrorsFromSession->handle(object(Request), object(Closure)) in Pipeline.php line 125
    at Pipeline->Illuminate\Pipeline\{closure}(object(Request)) in StartSession.php line 61
    at StartSession->handle(object(Request), object(Closure)) in Pipeline.php line 125
    at Pipeline->Illuminate\Pipeline\{closure}(object(Request)) in AddQueuedCookiesToResponse.php line 36
    at AddQueuedCookiesToResponse->handle(object(Request), object(Closure)) in Pipeline.php line 125
    at Pipeline->Illuminate\Pipeline\{closure}(object(Request)) in EncryptCookies.php line 40
    at EncryptCookies->handle(object(Request), object(Closure)) in Pipeline.php line 125
    at Pipeline->Illuminate\Pipeline\{closure}(object(Request)) in CheckForMaintenanceMode.php line 42
    at CheckForMaintenanceMode->handle(object(Request), object(Closure)) in Pipeline.php line 125
    at Pipeline->Illuminate\Pipeline\{closure}(object(Request))
    at call_user_func(object(Closure), object(Request)) in Pipeline.php line 101
    at Pipeline->then(object(Closure)) in Kernel.php line 115
    at Kernel->sendRequestThroughRouter(object(Request)) in Kernel.php line 84
    at Kernel->handle(object(Request)) in index.php line 53

Until I can get the perspective of a logged in user, I do have some UX/UI feedback.

I think in general images are displayed in too large a scale on a 1920x1080 resolution. TWD welcome banner thing is so very big for no real reason, and I mean if you're not a fan of that show or whatever show it would be (if random) it's kinda weird. In comparison the 1.0 kid alone in the dark is more impartial, I guess (but that's not really my problem, that's just style. Really the problem is it's too big). If you scale the thumbnails for current airing/next airing to prob 75% and the larger ones to 50% size you could also display more content.

I feel that the entire row for a given entry should be a button to click to view in more details, not just the name of it. I say that because the row basically now goes to screen width instead of restrained like 1.0 design. Especially if in list mode for the episode list for a season. Maybe that's just me though. And this is a small thing but I'd rather the thumbnail be alone on the right in thumb view, and the episode code such as 1x1, 1x2, 1x3 be on the left somewhere, just to align things a bit more neatly. Also note that the links under every episode thumbnail is a 404 page because it's missing a part of the URL to work. And idk, maybe add a grid view mode that shows maybe small thumb + title on hover that goes to full screen width along the list/thumb detailed view?

On the episode viewing page I don't see the "next/previous" episode buttons of the 1.0 design anywhere. Those are kinda important IMO. Maybe it's cause I'm not logged in due to account error above, but they are visible without that in 1.0 design so that should be the case here too. Also again the top of the thumbnail isn't aligned with the top of the font title, just a nagging thing for me to get things squared out.

Last I notice there's a bunch of "comments" fields everywhere, do you guys really wanna do that? I mean is your moderation queue empty enough for that to be a realistic thing to venture in?

Maybe I'll have more later.

Big Chris

Postby Big Chris » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:25 pm

Coco wrote:As for actors/people, we're already covered on that one. Actors now have ids and are linked by that, not by name. They also have "External Links and IDs" to link them to other sites. We no longer rely on links via the name itself. I'm sure there will be some issues when we initially switch over to the new site but going forward we'll be good. Users will have to fix issues with duplicate names getting confused after the initial conversion.

https://api.thetvdb.com/swagger#!/Serie ... _id_actors

"id": 0,
"image": "string",
"imageAdded": "string",
"imageAuthor": 0,
"lastUpdated": "string",
"name": "string",
"role": "string",
"seriesId": 0,
"sortOrder": 0

https://api.thetvdb.com/swagger#!/Series/get_series_id

"imdbId": "string",
"lastUpdated": 0,
"network": "string",
"networkId": "string",

https://api.thetvdb.com/swagger#!/Episo ... pisodes_id

"imdbId": "string",
"lastUpdated": 0,
"lastUpdatedBy": "string",

(Sorry did make a mistake in the previous post, thinking there was no IMDB field in the table for episodes. I shouldn't do this late at night)

Unless this is out of date, this may explain better, the need for a point of reference.
End user is sitting at home infront of his TV. On their media center they have the Films, "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" and "A Bridge Too Far", and the TV series "Ballykissangle" and "In Loving Memory"
They select the cast list and see the name Colin Farrell and think "I like Colin Farrell, what else has he been in"
Currently the list will return the 2 movies and the 2 TV show as there's no way to tell them appart.
Lets say they also have the movie and TV show of "The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy" The movie is scraped from one site, the TV show from here. As you can see in the get_series_id table, it has an "imdbid" field. The movie will have an imdb field, that way the end users software can tell that even though they have the same name, they are different. Not so with the actors. Look at the get_series_id_actors. There is an internal id, but no external one, so no point of reference. All the end users software can see when it scrapes the data is 1 person with that name, so it will clump them together. That's what I ment when I wrote there need to be an imdbid field in the actors table.

I've just though to look at the moviedb API. In the person_id table they have an imdb_id field, now if the get_series_id_actors table had one, point of reference.

Honestly, I'm not obcessed with Colin Farrell, it may seem like that, it's just the best example of 2 popular actors with the same name. Put the name in IMDB, you'll find there's 3

bluesquirrel wrote:
Big Chris wrote:Click on Discover

Where is Australia??

Not forgetting Yemen, Zambia and Zimbabwe

Mistywing wrote:Last I notice there's a bunch of "comments" fields everywhere, do you guys really wanna do that? I mean is your moderation queue empty enough for that to be a realistic thing to venture in?

I asked for this myself a couple of days ago in the feature request, before seeing the 2.0 site.
When I've seen mistakes, I've corrected them, but it always bothered me that I couldn't leave a note as for why. When I've looked in the forum I see a lot of why had this been changed. A simple comment field could cut down on the amount of things they do have to moderate on.
example:
A few of days ago I edited the first series of Taxi(1978). The order in which they were in corrisponded to a particular DVD release that not only had the episodes out of order, but also had the wrong dates for 2 episodes printed on the cover, that threw all the other episodes after them out as well.
If there had been a comment field, I could have put that as the reason for the change. Now if the original person who made the entries goes back to that page, they'll think, "Somebodies changes this, don't know why, but it's not the same as what it says on my DVD, I'll change it back." And the cycle begins. If the comments field was there, they could read it, and if their resonable, think "Ah. Didn't know that. That's fair enough". Of course you'll always get the unreasonable one, but that's life.

Coco
Site Admin

Postby Coco » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:01 pm

The new site supports a bunch of new features such as remote ID's, all that information will be available in APIv2. Unfortunately APIv2 cannot provide that information right now as the current site doesn't collect it and the new site is only in beta. Once we fully launch the new site (very soon) and actually have that information in the database APIv2 will be updated with additional endpoints to provide the information.

acp

Postby acp » Thu May 11, 2017 5:05 am

Has anyone managed to register on the new site since April 5?
Sofar I am still seeing the following message when activating my account:

Class TheTVDB\Http\Controllers\Auth/AuthController does not exist

Are new accounts not allowed yet during the Beta period?

plumpro3

Postby plumpro3 » Sun May 14, 2017 8:36 pm

When is the new site launching? I remember being told it would launch in ~2 weeks but that was over a month ago.

Return to “General Discussion”