Site outage 9/10-9/11

Announcements about the database, website, and plugins.
dlbrown06

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:40 am

+1 for timidri idea of caching. This could help resolve the issues that are going on right now.

Honestly I surprised this much progress has already been made. Great work guys! Keep it up. I can't wait to using it again!
jmoorey

Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:41 am

Is there any estimate on how long the back-log will take to clear?

My XBMCs and Ember Media Manager are still freaking out at the moment because of how busy the site is. From the rates of traffic on the firewall that you mentioned can you estimate a time when normal usage will be able to resume?
psychofad

Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:48 am

Wow. Looks like my computer picked the best weekend to take a crap and lose my database. :cry:

Got a brand new Motherboard and CPU, had to do a fresh install of Win7, got mysql back up and running and symlinked my thumbnail folder again, added sources....ugh. Could not connect to remote server....nooooooo! :o

For real though, Thank You for providing such a valuable resource I apparently can no longer live without! :lol:
guitarlesson

Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:57 am

When this sort of thing happens to my websites, I usually set up some sort of redirect to a static page that says something like "Site maintenance. Be back soon." Usually this can be set up in your web host's control panel. Just a suggestion. I hope the resolution goes smoothly.
hjf288

Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:16 am

I know its kinda bait being my first post and posting a link but we've used Cloudflare free:

https://www.cloudflare.com/

In order to assist in reducing load on our web services infrastructure..

Might be worth checking out and seeing whether it can help you..

Also thanks for providing such an awesome service.. I've just gotten into using XBMC and TheTVDB has been invaluable in cataloguing my stuff
Freddy

Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:55 am

hikaricore wrote:Are you retarded?
A little, but far from your degree.
stubbers wrote: Also quit your whining, it's a free service, you don't like the uptime, go make your own.
Considering it, as i understand it then they need better server capacity? Been trying to find some contact information for whoever is in charge, but seems difficult :(
devicenull

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:01 am

stubbers wrote:
Freddy wrote:
The definition of "up" is when the website is online and accessable. If not, even if the machine's little bolp continues to give out a nice green strong light, it's considered down.
Responding to requests is up. As nginx is actually returning a HTTP code it's up.

Also quit your whining, it's a free service, you don't like the uptime, go make your own.

Thanks to the admins for what I assume was a chunk of their weekend spent in front of a screen waiting for something to happen.

I felt compelled to come to this guy's defense...just on moral grounds. I use TVDB via SickBeard, so the maintenance affects me too, but whatev's. I've been working in datacenters and random linux admin jobs for about 10 years now -- I understand maintenance and I'm not complaining (just putting that out there.) These guys do a great job and provide an awesome service for free.

That said, maybe you've heard of "POSIWID" - The purpose of a system is what it does. (Basically, all the steps and technology in between do not matter. The final result "is what it does") A future server being powered on, apache/lighty/nginx installed and responding, the page rendering but a database not being available; all of these little things don't matter. In this case, the purpose is to give us a fun free TV show database -- right now it isn't doing that. So with POSIWID in mind, the system isn't doing what it's supposed to do. It's down.

Maybe a plainer exampleis this: I work for a major tech company. You'd have to be under a rock for the last decade not to know who we are. If I have a cluster of servers that are handing out response codes but not serving pages (and therefore not generating ad revenue) we do not consider such a situation as "up". If certain features are available but others are not, we'd refer to that as degraded but still not up.

Hopefully that clarifies things a bit. The difference between machines or certain services being "up" versus the site functioning in it's regularly expected capacity.

Cheers.
hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:10 am

Freddy wrote:
hikaricore wrote:Are you retarded?
A little, but far from your degree.
:roll:
Freddy wrote:
stubbers wrote: Also quit your whining, it's a free service, you don't like the uptime, go make your own.
Considering it, as i understand it then they need better server capacity? Been trying to find some contact information for whoever is in charge, but seems difficult :(
There is no need for you contact anyone, the maintenance is still well within the projected estimate of this weekend.
And again the server is likely under heavy strain from the actual downtime, this is not uncommon so again be patient.
Freddy

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:20 am

Well, i have used the serviced for no more then 2 weeks. But with more then 8TB with data that needs to be scraped then i have noticed that XBMC constantly loose connection with theTvDB forcing me to do restart the scraper over and over again.

But this could offcourse be poorly written code, but i would assume that it's due to a overloaded server piniging me out.
hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:23 am

You'll get over it. Trust me.