reverse proxy server testing

Announcements about the database, website, and plugins.
netbrain

Re: What's up with the api servers?

Postby netbrain » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:27 pm

You are using varnish as reverse proxy?

VTWoods

Re: reverse proxy server testing

Postby VTWoods » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:29 pm

I can confirm that this is happening on my machine as well (Firefox 3 in Ubuntu no adblock). I have confirmed this is happening in chrome as well.

Example url in the html img tag:
http://www.thetvdb.com/banners/_cache/g ... 2129-g.jpg

I have also been having issues with the TVDB scrapper for XBMC. But I am guessing this is a symptom of your upgrades.

szsori
Site Admin

Postby szsori » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:30 pm

I'm experiencing the same thing. I don't run AdBlock nor any type of cache or firewall other than my basic Windows firewall and router firewall. I've viewing various pages and the banners that load come in extremely slowly, and sometimes they don't show up at all.

http://thetvdb.com/?tab=seriesbanners&id=72129
For example, on this page the first time I loaded it all of the images showed up, but only after about 15 seconds. I refreshed the page and now none of them are showing. A third reload and I got all of them, but each one took about 3 seconds to load.

szsori
Site Admin

Postby szsori » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:35 pm

Merged the topics. Mods... anything related to timeouts, slowness, missing images, HTTP errors, etc should go here until this is resolved. :)

manekineko
Goddess of Documentaries

Postby manekineko » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:35 pm

On my end it looks like Firefox tries to contact cache.thetvdb.com, sometimes gets some results, and then the request dies. It doesn't give me any error messages it just stops loading.

Update: works now. Slow sometimes, but works.
"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views."
-- Doctor Who, The Face of Evil

szsori
Site Admin

Postby szsori » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:59 pm

We have moved the api off the proxy. Leaving banners for now. Windows port of Squid has a hard limit of 2048 file descriptors. Looks like we hit a wall on that. I am going to continue to get the linux proxy server up. Windows will still be an option but not for anyone doing more than 20mbit. I am going to send mail to the squid developer that ported for windows and see if he will do a recompile for us.

szsori
Site Admin

Postby szsori » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:01 pm

Should we implement the next attempt as a temporary redirect instead of a permanent one? Won't the people whose HTTP clients actually handle the codes properly keep hitting cache.thetvdb.com despite us switching it back?

netbrain

Postby netbrain » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:13 pm

Why on earth are you guys using squid?!

szsori
Site Admin

Postby szsori » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:17 pm

netbrain wrote:Why on earth are you guys using squid?!

I tried installing Photoshop as our proxy and for some reason it didn't work. (har?)

I believe Varnish only works on Windows using Cygwin. I'm guessing that probably decreases performance. If I'm wrong or if there's a better Windows based solution we can use, let us know and we'll look into it. Whatever we go with needs to work in both Windows and Linux, and needs to be able to easily installed and configured using information provided by us. Our long term goal is to allow people to run their own reverse proxies that are dynamically added/removed from our round-robin pool.

Memfis

Postby Memfis » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:33 pm

Hi, I've been having problems with cache.thetvdb.

I keep getting 301 redirects to the same url causing looping. just a couple of examples :
http://cache.thetvdb.com/banners/posters/80273-2.jpg and
http://cache.thetvdb.com/banners/seasons/82825-2.jpg

I've tried on windows and Linux browsers and even wget. I have no pop up blockers etc installed.

edit : half an hour later cache. is no longer responding to web requests
edit 2 : cache. is responding again but 301 redirect loops are still occurring.
edit 3 : down again - probably a coincidence, it seams to be down around the o'clock mark but up around the half past mark...
I won't update this any more as I doubt I'd be able to contribute anything else.