As noted in this announcement MAJOR UPDATE — TheTVDB support is moving! we will be moving the forums to read-only archival status.
As such the new home for this information is in our Brand New Knowledgebase. It will always contain our most current rules and procedures will be made available there. There is also a topic specific to Policy Updates
Additionally, major changes and feature releases are announced on our social feeds follow us on Twitter or FaceBook @TheTVDB
Welcome to TheTVDB.com! We are the world’s largest metadata solution for TV and Films. All of our information comes from fans like you and is shared with many other sites, mobile apps, and devices. We are an open-source community and are always thrilled to see the site grow. In turn, we’d love to invite you to create a free account and help your favorite shows and movies thrive!
As a general rule (and to keep the database in order) we do request that you read the following rules and guidelines first, before you start contributing to the site. They’ll enlighten you on how to navigate the site & the forums, address FAQs, and ensure that TheTVDB is always populated with the most accurate, up-to-date information available.
While our rules below aim to be very comprehensive, you can also refer to our Wiki for use cases, artwork examples, and more specific questions. Taking the time to read over the Wiki will make your time as a part of our community more worthwhile!
A good rule of thumb: If you have any questions, concerns, or requests about anything related to TheTVDB, please post in the forums (if a similar topic hasn’t already been started), or email us at email@example.com.
Additionally, please take a moment to read our updated terms of service.
Community Ground Rules
We’re a small team here at TheTVDB, and as such we’ve done our best to put in place a set of rules/guidelines to allow for the smoothest operation of the site. While there may be exceptions to these rules, we’ve tried our best to set the most comprehensive guidelines possible. So, without further ado, some ground rules for TheTVDB.com:
- You should always search TheTVDB & forums before adding a new series or movie. Search in this version of the site has been vastly improved, but the site has hundreds of thousands of records so a thorough search is worth your while.
- You should always provide a link to the series or film in the database when requesting anything. Your research will expedite requests to the mods.
- Please refrain from emailing or PMing an Admin or Mod unless your question has gone unanswered for some time on the forums.
- Do not remove any information or blank out episodes, series, or movies you think are incorrect or have incorrect information, this creates major downflow problems in the data, instead post your request in the Series Change Requests forum thread.
- Stick to image guidelines, do not upload poor quality images, or images with logos, profanity, or any nudity whatsoever.
- Seek out our Preferred Sources of Truth to support your case for changes. If you can’t find evidence in our Preferred list, please attempt to provide two “Acceptable” sources that confirm your changes.
Navigating the site
To use TheTVDB, you’ll actually have to create accounts on two websites — first on TheTVDB.com, and then on our forums. You don’t have to use the same username on both, but it is preferred that you do.
We’ve recently made some major improvements to the site as well. If you haven’t been back in a while, please find new feature adds and forthcoming improvements here.
If you've been to this thread before you'll notice we have split the single large post into smaller specific segments. This should make it easier to read and to find any changes to our rules. Additionally, we will add posts outlining any major changes.