This is a TV Database

Announcements about the database, website, and plugins.
szsori
Site Admin

Re: This is a TV Database

Postby szsori » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:30 pm

You post in the correct forum with a topic of your own, and you provide links to the episodes that need to be changed. If the episodes aren't locked, feel free to change them yourself.

animal99

Postby animal99 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:57 pm

Never mind.. I found out from Tony... how to fix those errors,myself!

gadg3t

Postby gadg3t » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:21 pm

Well this is my opinion and only my opinion on this subject of this is a tv database only. I feel that this site should allow anything that can be played on a tv. If you dont then someone else may open up another site just for that purpose and everyone and all software will move that that site. This is a good site and i hate to see a site not adapt to the consumer and fall apart. The better service you give to the customers the better customer base you will have. Sticking to just the basics will allow someone to come in and steal all your thunder. Remember myspace and facebook. Adapt or die is all i am saying.

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:36 pm

We don't have customers, only leechers.

szsori
Site Admin

Postby szsori » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:06 pm

gadg3t wrote:Well this is my opinion and only my opinion on this subject of this is a tv database only. I feel that this site should allow anything that can be played on a tv. If you dont then someone else may open up another site just for that purpose and everyone and all software will move that that site. This is a good site and i hate to see a site not adapt to the consumer and fall apart. The better service you give to the customers the better customer base you will have. Sticking to just the basics will allow someone to come in and steal all your thunder. Remember myspace and facebook. Adapt or die is all i am saying.

Point taken, but we have a lot of valid reasons for not opening it up to everything right now. The database may handle more on the new site, but for now this rule is pretty set in stone. People have set up alternative sites for certain things we currently don't handle (clearLogo art, for example), which I think is great. People also use our API to run those types of services using our data, which is also great. I'm not really afraid of competition because we're really hoping for people to do the best for the community. If we were about making money then I'd agree completely, although this site would have been shut down a long time ago. :)

kidtwisted

Postby kidtwisted » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:37 am

My 2 cents on internet shows.

I feel the internet is becoming the "new" TV and already a lot of people have adding online ability to their Big Screens.
There has been several popular shows that spawned from the net, The Guild, Red vs Blue, Pure pwnage. also what about all the shows from Revison3, Twit network and Cnet.

The TVDB needs to embrace all this new content.

Coco
Site Admin

Postby Coco » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:47 am

You may notice even the first post in this thread said that kind of content is allowed and that was over 2 and a half years ago. You'll also noticed the examples you listed are indexed by our site already. If you're going to post to really old threads please at least read them a little first.
Please don't PM me. Post in the forums instead unless there is a very good reason for a PM or I won't respond.

kidtwisted

Postby kidtwisted » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:33 am

I did read the entire thread that's what prompted me to reply with support for the subject.
Not sure what the age of the thread had to do with it, this thread is not dead the post before mine was dated sept 11th, 2011.
There is no comments through out the thread about video podcast so I added one.

The tone of the 1st post is very much on the fence.
One area that is more vague is video podcasts. It's not really what the site was designed for but in general these are OK as we do index stuff like diggnation. This is an area we should really discuss more if you want to get serious about indexing video podcasts so that we have some firm rules about them. Right now they're kinda rare and we don't pay much attention to them, but if we start getting a lot of them we'll have to deal with it.

I posted with good intent, I know those shows are indexed. My point is that more is coming and they should be embraced.

So why do you feel the need to trash my comment?

nobrumski

Postby nobrumski » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:15 pm

Maybe a suggestion for the new site if possible is to separate shows that have podcasts and episodes that are on TV? I don't mean web specials that tie into the series but actual podcasts. I realize there aren't many of them, but I know for at least Onion News Network it is a pain for those of us who only care about the TV show.