This is a TV Database

Announcements about the database, website, and plugins.
Coco
Site Admin

This is a TV Database

Postby Coco » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:07 pm

This is starting to get really annoying so I'm going to try making a post here.

This site is to be used to index TV SHOWS. For those who seem to be confused a radio show IS NOT a TV show. Please stop adding them to the database. Other things that are also not TV Shows are movies, comic books or anything that does not have BOTH audio and video so please stop adding these as well.

One area that is more vague is video podcasts. It's not really what the site was designed for but in general these are OK as we do index stuff like diggnation. This is an area we should really discuss more if you want to get serious about indexing video podcasts so that we have some firm rules about them. Right now they're kinda rare and we don't pay much attention to them, but if we start getting a lot of them we'll have to deal with it.
Please don't PM me. Post in the forums instead unless there is a very good reason for a PM or I won't respond.

wintermute2517

Re: This is a TV Database

Postby wintermute2517 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:57 am

Hi!

I was wondering about the stance of the site towards hentai anime.
I've got a bunch of Hentai series I'd like to add but I want to make sure it's permitted before I do it.

Thanks!
-=wintermute=-

emigrating
Site Admin

Postby emigrating » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:00 pm

As long as it was aired on TV and is not already in the database - go right ahead :)

Coco
Site Admin

Postby Coco » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:11 pm

The only thing that might come up is any images on this site have to be safe for work. There have been a few deletions because the images were inappropriate for the site. Of course just the images get deleted in these cases not the series.
Please don't PM me. Post in the forums instead unless there is a very good reason for a PM or I won't respond.

flipped cracker
Former Moderator

Postby flipped cracker » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:06 pm

might also want to say something about not indexing sports.

A.Mac

Postby A.Mac » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:46 pm

So what is the reason that sports aren't indexed, and does anyone know of a site that does index them for use with media players like Plex?

szsori
Site Admin

Postby szsori » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:17 pm

A.Mac wrote:So what is the reason that sports aren't indexed, and does anyone know of a site that does index them for use with media players like Plex?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=620&p=2844

As for sites, there's a number of sites that have sports stats like ESPN. Just do a Google search for "sports stats" and you'll hit a bunch. As for ones that allow user-contributed data, I'm not sure, but someone is welcome to use our site code to do a sports site if they'd like.

mavrick

Postby mavrick » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:41 pm

Coco wrote:The only thing that might come up is any images on this site have to be safe for work. There have been a few deletions because the images were inappropriate for the site. Of course just the images get deleted in these cases not the series.

In the case of 'inappropriate images' would it be safe to censor them and then upload that? It would take like 10 seconds to blur out or place a black bar across some series (oh no, nipples!). Ive been lurking around the site for a while now but i havent found much in the way of 'this isnt allowed'.

Coco
Site Admin

Postby Coco » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:25 pm

If the image actually needs a sensor bar or blurring it would be best to just pick an image that doesn't need it. That being said we've been very lax on the rule. Since the sites been online there have only been about 10 images deleted for that reason. The general idea is to just keep the site safe for kids.

animal99

Re: This is a TV Database-ERROrS?

Postby animal99 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:25 pm

What do I do to inform your database people that there are errors in naming conventions?

In particular, there are episodes of BONES and BURN NOTICE, that have extra spaces in them.. particularly at the end of the EPisode Titles... that throw off the XML FETCHER program.