Thanks Matt S

Announcements about the database, website, and plugins.
szsori
Site Admin

Thanks Matt S

Postby szsori » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:58 am

Most of you know that we've been experiencing major site stability issues over the past few months. The general problem was MySQL hanging and causing Apache to run out of connections as a result. We had no clue what was happening, but one of our users, Matt S, offered to look at the problem. He's an experienced LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) administrator so we gave him the keys to the fortress.

Matt recently spent a day monitoring the server and making improvements to our LAMP configuration. He added a proxy for static files (not including the API), found we were crashing due to a known bug in MySQL (http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=37067) and updated us to the latest version to fix, and made a variety of configuration changes to Apache and MySQL to improve connection handling. He made additional recommendations for improving the site in the future as well.

The overall result is that the site is now running MUCH faster. We should know within a few days if this also means that the stability is improved, but so far the outlook is very positive. This is a major stress relief to myself and the other site admins since we can now focus on the rewrite instead of constantly trying to make stopgap fixes with the current site. It buys us a little time for that as well.

I asked Matt if he'd update his Amazon.com wish list so people could thank him that way, but he declined. Instead I'm asking that you post your thanks here if you want or make a donation to the EFF (his non-profit of choice) at http://www.eff.org/ (click Join).

I'd also like to take this opportunity to recommend that everyone consider supporting your favorite projects. You might not think they need assistance, but many do. Consider the following, all of which can assist most projects:

1. Monetary donation (one of my favorite quotes: "Information wants to be free. Bandwidth does not.")
2. Time donation (can be system administration, programming, art, responding to emails for them, modding their forums, etc)
3. Try beta versions of software and report your results to them.
4. Promote the project with your friends and family. Most projects don't have ad campaigns and rely 100% on word of mouth.
5. Give feedback and suggestions on their forums. Be clear in what you're asking for and make sure they haven't addressed the request already.
6. Click an ad on their site every couple of days and consider adding an exception to AdBlock for their site.

Some projects refuse help for a variety of reasons. When you offer to help, consider asking in lieu of assistance/donation what their favorite charity is. You can then make a donation to the charity in their name instead. It goes a long way towards saying thanks and has an overall positive effect on the world.

Thank you to the other people that offered to help with troubleshooting and bandwidth, too. And thank you to everyone that has had patience with us. :)

zag2me

Re: Thanks Matt S

Postby zag2me » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:46 am

I hear that!

Well done Matt S from everyone at MeediOS who relies on this project every day.

superpea

Postby superpea » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:02 pm

Matt (and the entire TVDB crew), many many thanks from the Plex team and community (www.plexapp.com)! We are huge fans of your work and can sympathize with how stressful it can be to deal with issues like this--it is truly wonderful when someone like Matt steps up and helps out!

-superpea

flipped cracker
Former Moderator

Postby flipped cracker » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:33 pm

thanks matt!

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:38 pm

Thanks! ^_^

crzykidd
Site Admin

Postby crzykidd » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:10 pm

thetvdb.com Site Admin

MattS

Postby MattS » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:19 pm

No problem, glad to have been able to help out. :)

spearce

Postby spearce » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:01 pm

Thankyou Matt S! So many people rely on this site and you have made many people very happy!!

skypichat

Postby skypichat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:27 pm

Thanks a lot Matt
MeediOS-France community

http://meedios-france.com/

Havrest
Former Moderator

Postby Havrest » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:08 pm

Thank you a lot Matt :)