New site development update - Feb 2010

Announcements about the database, website, and plugins.
saltedlolly

Re: New site development update - Feb 2010

Postby saltedlolly » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:07 am

Some questions!

What new features can we expect to see in the new site?
Can we get a vague timeline on availability?
Can we do anything to help?

szsori
Site Admin

Postby szsori » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:28 am

Lots.
When it's done.
Not right now, but soon.

[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:07 pm

Hey, if you need a hand for the design part, will be happy to help. Just send me an e-mail...

zag2me

Postby zag2me » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:27 am

I just spent the last month writing TheAudioDB with the intention of using all this newfangled web technology. Being an oldschool php programmer its quite a jump and I ended up using a lot of old technology in the end.

Would be very interested how you got Jeditable working and all the Jquery stuff. I spent hours trying to work that one out! :)

I found the Jquery slowed the site load times down a bit and didn't work on all browsers. But its certainly the future, I'd love to have database popup modal boxes that were editable.

Also well worth checking out EZSQL if your using php/mysql still. It simplified the development so much.

As for the API, go JSON, its so much quicker to produce and also has a nice size reduction due to the small tags.

euvlad93

Postby euvlad93 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:47 am

Any news? :)

szsori
Site Admin

Postby szsori » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:39 pm

I'm doing a couple of things with it that are taking quite a bit of time, but then development should speed along much faster. After working with it a bit I decided against MongoDB. It's great in certain situations and definitely if you're using an ORM, but we were mainly looking at it for speed and the automatic backup/failover aspects. So I'm back into MySQL because we can't afford MS SQL Server licenses and because I dislike how Postgres handles stored functions.

So we're using MySQL, jQuery, Twitter Bootstrap, PHP, and Smarty. API will most likely return XML and JSON depending on what's requested by the user, but to improve caching we may limit this to JSON. I'm going to talk to our developers before making that decision.

Jeditable isn't being used anymore. I had it working in a few locations, but it wasn't very clear from a usability perspective. If I keep on this pace I'm hoping to have something people can look at within a month, with testing, feedback, and revisions to follow.

Kukkimonsuta

Postby Kukkimonsuta » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:25 am

szsori wrote:I'm doing a couple of things with it that are taking quite a bit of time, but then development should speed along much faster. After working with it a bit I decided against MongoDB. It's great in certain situations and definitely if you're using an ORM, but we were mainly looking at it for speed and the automatic backup/failover aspects. So I'm back into MySQL because we can't afford MS SQL Server licenses and because I dislike how Postgres handles stored functions.

Have you tried applying for MS BizSpark ( http://www.microsoft.com/BizSpark/Default.aspx )? It's program where you get most of MS products for free for your company for period of time (for both development and production use) and can keep using those even after your BizSpark program expires. I'm not entirely sure whether this site can qualify, but I'd definitely give it a shot as MS SQL would be quite big upgrade from MySQL.

djcode
Brony
Brony

Postby djcode » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:52 am

Every time I've ever had the misfortune of having to use MSSQL, I have cursed the day I ever got into development.
All PM's will be ignored unless I'm bored, so stop sending them!

szsori
Site Admin

Postby szsori » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:42 pm

I love MS SQL Server. I use it every day at work and am disappointed whenever I have to use something else. That said, I think we're fine using mysql for now. I've already had to jump between various databases a handful of times during development and I don't really want to do it again. Thanks for the info, though. :)

chefkoch

Postby chefkoch » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:32 pm

Will this update include some schema changes of the db as well?

i.e. I remember some smaller, mostly kids series, where in come countries the episode order differs, sometimes a few episodes are "merged" and aired as one.

As a result the translations for the same episode index contains descriptions of different content across various languages. (example: http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesi ... 967&lid=14 )

Will there be an option to translate an "episode" globally and then reuse it in different ways for the episode order?