Site is back up

Announcements about the database, website, and plugins.
stefan2010

Re: Site is Back Up

Postby stefan2010 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:18 am

fyedka wrote:I am having trouble scraping any show info on Plex since the site came back up. Is anyone else having this issue?

i think everybody has!

hope they fix it soon,

ClunkClunk

Re: Site is back up

Postby ClunkClunk » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:45 am

It seems to be back down again... can't reach it in any HTPC app, nor via a browser.

Jaerin

Postby Jaerin » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:52 am

I believe they are dealing with some corruption issues so please be patient. It will be back soon I'm sure.

Beano70

Postby Beano70 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:52 pm

Scraping with XBMC (OSX) doesn't seem to work either.

cmarrin

Postby cmarrin » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:52 pm

Looks like the site it up. Great!

Maybe some things can be done to avoid some of these problems in the future. I am the author of Video Monkey (http://videomonkey.org). I use thetvdb.com to get metadata for TV Shows Video Monkey is encoding. My users love it. But I made the mistake of doing an autosearch when a file is dragged into the GUI, and that has caused horrible delays and errors over the last few days. I'm fixing that so you can turn off auto-search.

For me, the biggest problem has been that the front page was down, so I had no way of knowing what was going on. Google shows lots of old message threads of the site going down, so it was hard to find new information. Yesterday, I finally stumbled on this forum, which thankfully was not down. So I felt a bit better informed about what was going on.

It's great that the database is now apparently on a new server and might be more reliable. But this problem will happen again. It always does with these sorts of databases. That down time is a lot more tolerable if there is good information about why it's happening. Is there some way that the front page of the site could be hosted somewhere else that didn't have downtime issues. I would imagine that the downtime problems are a result of the huge database, so putting the front page on a separate server seems like it would be more reliable. That way, you could put a message on the front page that said the server was down and some indication of when it might be back up.

Doing this also seems like it would make it possible for searches to quickly give back 404 or some other error pages when downtime happens, so that a tool like mine can issue a useful error. And it would make it possible to get to the wiki and forum pages for more information.

Finally, I'm sure the subject of mirrors has come up before. I'm sure there are plenty of us out here who would be willing to mirror the data. I'm note sure how big the database is, but I know from recent research that the IMDb database is < 500MB. Now that doesn't include artwork, which I'm sure takes a huge amount of storage. But even if a mirror couldn't host the artwork, it seems like it would be a reasonable temporary fallback. I have a server on a pair of OC3 lines, which has 100G or so of storage sitting idle. I'd be happy to use some of that for a mirror.

Once again, congratulations on getting the site back up. I'm sure it's been more painful for all of you than for all of us.

liquidox

Postby liquidox » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:04 pm

Hey Cmarrin, check out and read through this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2246

A lot of the stuff you mention has been discussed in that thread :)

midgetspy

Postby midgetspy » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:30 pm

locky wrote:Hi,

Just wanted to report that when querying with metabrowser, no data returned, but "404" type errors for the following shows:

CSI: ShowID 72546

Law & Order: ShowID 72368

Youir advice / assistance appreciated,

Cheers,

Locky

Same with Survivor (76733)

treyoliver

Postby treyoliver » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:45 pm

Using Metabrowser, I just pulled the data for Castle, and McAfee picked up a virus, Exploit-MS04-028, in the C:\ProgramData\MetaBrowser\Cache folder. Is anyone else seeing this for other shows?

Boody

Postby Boody » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:10 pm

Thanks for providing such a great resource.

Not sure if this helps at all as I assume the rebuild will correct this but I noticed for series I tried adding to TV Renamer today that the episode information seems to exist in the xml resource but the corresponding compressed zip file resource doesn't exist (get a 404 error when requesting it).

In case above wasn't clear.

/api/<API Key>/series/<TVDBid>/all/en.xml - Seems fine.
/api/<API Key>/series/<TVDBid>/all/en.zip - Fails with a 404

I only checked 2 series and both had the same issue. I'm assuming that TV Rename doesn't fall back on the xml file if the zip file is unavailable.

nekocha

Postby nekocha » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:16 pm

I can get series, but I can't get banners.xml

Anyone has the same issue?