New site, database conversion, etc

Announcements about the database, website, and plugins.
lair

Re: New site, database conversion, etc

Postby lair » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:38 am

szsori wrote:We really need three things before we'll be able to take the new site live:
1. Time to finish developing it.
2. Windows Server license.
3. SQL Server license.

If anyone has 2 or 3 available, please contact me. Since it would be a major financial investment in the site, the admins may discuss including such a donor as an admin/owner as well. Note this hasn't been discussed with the other admins yet, but I think they'd all be willing to figure something out.

Now, finally, an explanation of why this has taken so long. :) My son is now 21 months old and is great, but a real handful. I've been extremely busy with actual work, especially with elections coming up (I primarily do political sites for my actual job). I've also spent 2 months doing this side project with my boss, under heavy time constraints. Now that we're in open beta, I can share it a bit... http://www.greenmartini.com/sedetweiler. Lots of bugs still exist, but we're getting through them pretty quick. The linked page is my boss' portfolio, btw. It's fun chatting with hot models while coding. :)

In addition to that, I've been finishing my basement. I'm putting in a large playroom (~ 20x14) and movie theater (~ 16 x 14)... they're actually attached, but a low soffit separates the areas nicely. I've done all the work myself so far except for electrical (my brother is an electrician). I've got insulation in and I'm framing the soffit and installing a raised floor (similar to DriCore). Once that's done I'm hiring my uncle to do drywall, since I hate it. The goal is to have it done by Thanksgiving, since a Wisconsin winter with a 2 year old in our size house would really suck. The project has been expensive and time consuming, but fun. I've also learned a lot in the process, and it's a nice change from sitting at a desk all day.

So that's it. As always, if anyone is a PHP developer and wants to get involved with the site, please contact me. Same for a graphic designer. Like I said, licenses are a big issue right now and we can always use donations towards those. Hope to be able to give a good progress report in about a month. :)

I am a PHP Dev that would not mind help out if you need it.

szsori
Site Admin

Postby szsori » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:21 am

Excellent. :) I'll be in touch. It'd help if you'd familiarize yourself with Smarty, if you're not familiar with it already. Most likely I'll handle the database/stored proc/primary php and pass the info to Smarty where it can be implemented by someone else. Separating the code from the templates is really nice for splitting dev tasks. :)

maxtt

Postby maxtt » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:21 am

Pease could anyone of you confirm whether the site itself is down at this moment?

I have tried from Austrian, Serbian and Slovenian IP ranges, as well as from http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com
and the connection times out every time.

liquidox

Postby liquidox » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:55 am

maxtt wrote:Pease could anyone of you confirm whether the site itself is down at this moment?

I have tried from Austrian, Serbian and Slovenian IP ranges, as well as from http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com
and the connection times out every time.

Read here for more info: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2246

lair

Postby lair » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:13 pm

szsori wrote:Excellent. :) I'll be in touch. It'd help if you'd familiarize yourself with Smarty, if you're not familiar with it already. Most likely I'll handle the database/stored proc/primary php and pass the info to Smarty where it can be implemented by someone else. Separating the code from the templates is really nice for splitting dev tasks. :)

Sounds good and I look forward to hearing from you.

mavrick

Postby mavrick » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:42 am

If this question is already asked then i apologize for asking a second time.

Since thetvdb.com will be moving away from apache, mysql(?), open-source and into the IIS, MSSQL, closed-sourced system is there any chance that a current snapshot of the software will be released? If a fork was made to a svn, im sure there are those out in the linux community who would put their own time and effort into developing it further.

I saw a cvs of thetvdb but its very old and doesnt work (or at least i cant make it work).

Coco
Site Admin

Postby Coco » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:35 am

Of the admins I'm most likely the one who wanted to stay with mySQL and apache the most. There are serious limits to mySQL that are effecting the site though. Some of the issues you can program around if your willing but one of the problems with mySQL is that it doesn't really support foreign keys. You can declare them but they aren't used if you use myisam. You could use innodb which adds support for foreign keys as well as a few other things but sadly it's very slow so we can't run the site with it. Falcon on the other hand looks like it could work for us but is still in beta and is likely years away from being reliable enough to actually use in a production environment. If you try to fork the project you're going to run into the same kind of issues.

That being said I'll happily give you a dump of the mySQL db once we finally move off it but I must warn you, we arn't just moving to MS SQL, we are doing a massive redesign of the DB at the same time. The current mySQL DB is poorly organized and has tons of junk data in it, plus it doesn't have support for many of the new features we'll be adding to the new site.
Please don't PM me. Post in the forums instead unless there is a very good reason for a PM or I won't respond.