MS Licenses

Announcements about the database, website, and plugins.
szsori
Site Admin

MS Licenses

Postby szsori » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:37 pm

We're currently looking at the possibility of using MS SQL instead of PostgreSQL for the rewrite. We're doing this for a few reasons that I won't get into, but mainly it's due to PostgreSQL's poor handling of stored procs. In a nutshell, they claim "stored functions" are a feature and not a crutch, but I find that for the most common use (returning sets of information) they suck compared to stored procs.

Anyway, licenses for MS SQL Server and Windows are pretty expensive, so I figured I'd put this out there... anyone have some licenses they'd be willing to donate? We need a single Windows 2008 license and a single SQL Server 2008 license. If someone has a 2003 license for either, that could definitely work as well. Please send me a PM on the forums or directly email me at [email protected]. I'd definitely consider giving back prominent advertising space or something like that in return, assuming the ads are appropriate for our users. :)

silkshadow
The Cat's Ass

Re: MS Licenses

Postby silkshadow » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:21 am

Sent you a PM :D

Archigos

Postby Archigos » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:10 am

Hey Scott,
If SilkShadow's idea/plan/whatever doesn't work, let me know, I'm a Microsoft Registered Partner and System Builder for them, I have licenses laying around for pretty much whatever you'd need. I still have you listed on my AIM so maybe I'll check in on this with you later, if not, email me and we could work something out.

emigrating
Site Admin

Postby emigrating » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:25 am

Archigos wrote:Hey Scott,
If SilkShadow's idea/plan/whatever doesn't work, let me know, I'm a Microsoft Registered Partner and System Builder for them, I have licenses laying around for pretty much whatever you'd need. I still have you listed on my AIM so maybe I'll check in on this with you later, if not, email me and we could work something out.

Those licences would still have to be paid for though, as the NFR/NFD cannot be used (legally) on anything but development boxes. If you do indeed have full retail licences to donate we should talk however :)

Archigos

Postby Archigos » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:40 pm

I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure at least 90% of the ones left were retail... (they were purchased in 5pks and I had spares left). I may have other options we can look into if these wont work, but I'll talk to my MS Rep tomorrow and see what he says.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:01 pm

I think the best thing for the mods here is to buy a MS Technet Plus licence. They give you "Evaluation" licence activations for ALL their products. This is at least 5 licenses for everything, Windows Server,SQL... whatever you need.

Only $395 for a year, I have it for myself for my 2 laptops and media centre at home, it's definetely worth the small price.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ms788692.aspx

emigrating
Site Admin

Postby emigrating » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:19 pm

Gareth wrote:I think the best thing for the mods here is to buy a MS Technet Plus licence. They give you "Evaluation" licence activations for ALL their products. This is at least 5 licenses for everything, Windows Server,SQL... whatever you need.

Only $395 for a year, I have it for myself for my 2 laptops and media centre at home, it's definetely worth the small price.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ms788692.aspx

Those licenses can not be used in a production environment, same as all the MSDN licenses we already have. We have secured some thru WebsiteSpark though but offers are still welcome.