Doctor Who Specials

Where rejected requests go to die.
Seriously though, we're open to discussion; but read the stickied thread first to avoid a premature termination of the conversation.
Forum rules
Rules | Acceptable Sources | Exceptions
If your request was denied or your listing was removed without explanation, now would be a good time to review these sections, as it likely ran afoul of them.

DO NOT CONTACT MODERATORS REGARDING POLICY ENFORCEMENT.
If you feel the application of a policy is unfair, please open a Policy Inquiry, with the understanding that administrators (red names) set the policies and moderators (green names) must enforce them within reasonable degrees of latitude.

DO NOT CITE WIKIPEDIA!

Due to the egregious nature of the vast majority of requests pertaining to The Bible and The Lost Room, they will immediately be moved here. Further rejection of the rules and volunteer efforts to remedy the situation will be met with thread and series locks, as well as forums bans as necessary.

ALL REQUESTS TO UNLOCK SERIES FOR TRANSLATIONS WILL BE MOVED HERE WITHOUT NOTICE!
You may propose translations for locked series by starting a new thread after clicking here.
rifraf85

Doctor Who Specials

Postby rifraf85 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:47 pm

Hi,

Right now, the Doctor Who specials are a bit of a mess. They are in a random order that doesn't come from any source, leading to confusion. For example, Meanwhile in the TARDIS is placed after The Snowmen even though it came out years earlier, which is confusing because if you watch in order, Amy comes back after her departure. Another example is the 2013 Behind the Scenes for An Adventure in Space and Time inexplicably being in between the 2017 and 2019 specials Twice Upon a Time and Resolution, even though An Adventure in Space and Time itself is many episodes before. If the specials were re-ordered in aired order, it would make much more sense. I would take on the task, but the specials are locked. Could the specials be fixed?

Link: https://www.thetvdb.com/series/doctor-w ... /seasons/0
Series ID: 78804

Thanks!

SpartaX

Re: Doctor Who Specials

Postby SpartaX » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:02 am

I have not seen this done, though maybe it has somewhere, but I would suggest using date stamps as episode numbers under the Season 0/Specials section of TV shows, especially Dr. Who. This would allow easy insertions without reordering constantly and would allow end users of the data to be able to be less disrupted over timey-wimey. So an episode could have an episodes number like 20051225 or 051225 for the first Christmas Special, etc. The next one would then be a year later and then whatever obscure segments later are needed to be inserted in-betwixt could easily be dispatched without a hitch. I guess the only question is whether the db here as well as consuming apps of this data are happy with such episode numbers. I am sure this is already known, just not by me. :)

On a side note, this frustration occurs elsewhere too, but not to the extent as with Dr. Who. I much prefer to not have to know to stop watching the main eps and jump over riiiiiight.....NOW...to go watch some certain Special Episode and then bounce back to normal ep viewing. I actually organize Dr. Who where I place the Christmas/New Years and other slow year specials within the mainstream seasons using E00 and EXX higher than the regular eps for each season to place these pivotal special eps in proper viewing order within the regular seasons. Meaning, I ignore the Season 0/Specials folder for some things at my whim. ;)

Imzadi
Site Moderator

Postby Imzadi » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:40 am

We do not re-order specials. If the before or after field is not set correctly, please link to the episode and how it should be placed.

grenburl

Postby grenburl » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:10 pm

The following Doctor Who special is messed up. It does not air after season 9, but actually airs after season 10. please fix. thanks.

https://www.thetvdb.com/series/doctor-w ... es/5846835

ByteShare
Site Moderator

Postby ByteShare » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:25 pm

grenburl wrote:The following Doctor Who special is messed up. It does not air after season 9, but actually airs after season 10. please fix. thanks.

https://www.thetvdb.com/series/doctor-w ... es/5846835

You'd be incorrect. "The Return of Doctor Mysterio" is the S9 special that airs after S9 but before S10.
Look at the airdates

Unless there are others, moving to denied.