WHAT NOT TO DO: Issues to Address

Where rejected requests go to die.
Seriously though, we're open to discussion; but read the stickied thread first to avoid a premature termination of the conversation.
Forum rules
Rules | Acceptable Sources | Exceptions
If your request was denied or your listing was removed without explanation, now would be a good time to review these sections, as it likely ran afoul of them.

DO NOT CONTACT MODERATORS REGARDING POLICY ENFORCEMENT.
If you feel the application of a policy is unfair, please open a Policy Inquiry, with the understanding that administrators (red names) set the policies and moderators (green names) must enforce them within reasonable degrees of latitude.

DO NOT CITE WIKIPEDIA!

Due to the egregious nature of the vast majority of requests pertaining to The Bible and The Lost Room, they will immediately be moved here. Further rejection of the rules and volunteer efforts to remedy the situation will be met with thread and series locks, as well as forums bans as necessary.

ALL REQUESTS TO UNLOCK SERIES FOR TRANSLATIONS WILL BE MOVED HERE WITHOUT NOTICE!
You may propose translations for locked series by starting a new thread after clicking here.
mmstick

WHAT NOT TO DO: Issues to Address

Postby mmstick » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:26 am

I have an Arch Linux server which is nothing but one massive archive of personally encoded Hi10 anime series/movies (10,000 episodes). Installing XBMC and using TheTVDB scraper I have come across a lot of problems. The problems are as follows. On the left is the entry in TVDB, on the right are aliases that it should detect that I use, but does not because these aliases either do not exist, or they simply don't work.

MISSING ALIASES (or aliases which don't work):
Beast Player Erin = Beast Tamer Erin
Busou Renkin = Arms Alchemy
Azumanga Diaoh = Azumanga Diaou
Broken Blade = Break Blade
Club-To-Death Angel Dokuro-chan = Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan
Kara no Kyoukai = Borderline of Emptiness || The Borderline of Emptiness || Boundary of Emptiness || The Boundary of Emptiness
When They Cry - Higurashi = When The Cicadas Cry
When Seagulls Cry = When The Seagulls Cry
Earth Girl Arjuna = Earth Maiden Arjuna
Yume Tsukai = Dream Users
Zakuro = Girl Demon Zakuro
Binbougami ga! = The God of Poverty is!
Dream Eater Merry = Yumekui Merry
Chrono Crusade = Chrno Crusade
Rainbow (2010) = Rainbow - The Seven Criminals of Compund Two, Cell Six
Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro = Neuro - Supernatural Detective
Nabari no Ou = King of Nabari || The King of Nabari
Haibane Renmei = Charcoal Feather Federation (is listed as alias but does not accept)
D.Gray-Man simply will not detected at all.
Shounen Onmyouji not detected, but Shonen Onmyouji is. "Shounen" is more correct than "Shonen"
The Skull Man = The Skullman
Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera = The Little Judge From Hell
Ef - a tale of melodies (looks very tacty) = Ef - A Tale of Memories (this is the name of the first season, so it should be titled as such instead of Melodies, which is season 2)
Shion no Ou = Shion's King
Shakugan no Shana = Shana of the Burning Eyes
Kaze no Stigma = Stigma of the Wind (alias is listed but it doesn't accept it)
Kamichu! = The Goddess is a Middle School Student
Yakitate!! Japan = Freshly Baked!! Ja-pan!
Yume Tsukai = Dream Users

INCORRECT SEASONS/EXTRA EPISODES:
http://thetvdb.com/?tab=seasonall&id=80975&lid=7 Seasons are completely effed up (It is displaying all 9 seasons as 1 season). The correct season listing is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Re ... isode_list
http://thetvdb.com/?tab=seasonall&id=171731&lid=7 Someone should delete 2x26 Episode 26, as there is no episode 26 or 25.

DELETE DUPLICATE ENTRY:
Due to this entry http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=263422&lid=7 I cannot add Hatsukoi Limited as it will always pick this entry instead, which is blank.

Currently, I am adding a lot of missing information from various anime series I own, and fixing some overviews which are too vague or simply not written well. I have completed adding episode information on a dozen anime series, but the list is rather huge due to a large amount of missing information in this database regarding anime releases.

Note: Search bar tends to give a lot of AJAX 0 error dialog windows. The website is unbearably slow and tends to lose connection very often.

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Re: Issues to Address

Postby hikaricore » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:09 am

Aliases are only searchable on the site and not through the API. Wikipedia isn't a source and you've listed no others. We're thankful that you're updating info here, but I worry that you're listing Wikipedia as a source for ANYTHING.. Site is slow for everyone at times, deal with it.

Oh, and: http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=89311

mmstick

Postby mmstick » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:14 am

hikaricore wrote:Aliases are only searchable on the site and not through the API. Wikipedia isn't a source and you've listed no others. We're thankful that you're updating info here, but I worry that you're listing Wikipedia as a source for ANYTHING.. Site is slow for everyone at times, deal with it.

Oh, and: http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=89311

Wikipedia isn't as unreliable as you think. Especially when they list convenient resources at the bottom of the page.

References

General
"Official anime website" (in Japanese). Marvelous Entertainment. Retrieved October 5, 2008. - Official anime episode list.
"Official Japanese episodes list from Reborn! by TV Tokyo (episodes 1-25)" (in Japanese). TV Tokyo. Retrieved October 29, 2008.
"Official Japanese episodes list from Reborn! by TV Tokyo (episodes 26-51)" (in Japanese). TV Tokyo. Retrieved October 29, 2008.
"Official Japanese episodes list from Reborn! by TV Tokyo (episodes 52-76)" (in Japanese). TV Tokyo. Retrieved October 29, 2008.
"Official Japanese episodes list from Reborn! by TV Tokyo (episodes 77-101)" (in Japanese). TV Tokyo. Retrieved October 29, 2008.
"Official Japanese episodes list from Reborn! by TV Tokyo (episodes 102-126)" (in Japanese). TV Tokyo. Retrieved October 29, 2008.
"Official Japanese episodes list from Reborn! by TV Tokyo (episodes 127-152)" (in Japanese). TV Tokyo. Retrieved November 7, 2009.
"Official Japanese episodes list from Reborn! by TV Tokyo (episodes 153 onwards)" (in Japanese). TV Tokyo. Retrieved November 2, 2009.
"Reborn! trailer" (in Japanese). TV Tokyo. Retrieved November 2, 2009.

If you can read Japanese, these are listings of each season of Reborn.

You mean the site is slow for everyone all the time, and you shouldn't tell people to deal with it. Instead, something should be done to improve the issue such as using a different web host.

I already know that an entry for Hatsukoi Limited exists. The problem is that due to the HATSUKOI entry, the scraper will always misidentify it as this empty duplicate instead of as Hatsukoi Limited.

ManiacB
Site Moderator

Postby ManiacB » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:27 am

It seems to me like you, instead of reading our rules and maybe getting a bit of background on the site and how it works, have just come here and posted a thread (in the wrong forum) demanding that we change everything.

There is a sticky on what we do and do not want as sources when making a request here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9271

If you had bothered to do a quick search for "Alias" on the forums I'm sure you would have very quickly found out why you can't scrape them.
Furthermore, if you had had a quick look at one of the numerous threads regarding site issues, you would also have seen that we know that the web site is slow right now and the Admins are trying many things to sort this out. Believe it or not "use a different web host" is not a very helpful suggestion. hikaricore told you to "deal with it" because last time I checked, you aren't paying the hosting bills to keep the site going.

I will delete the empty HATSUKOI entry but I would be more worried about your scraper to be honest.

mmstick

Postby mmstick » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:53 pm

ManiacB wrote:It seems to me like you, instead of reading our rules and maybe getting a bit of background on the site and how it works, have just come here and posted a thread (in the wrong forum) demanding that we change everything.

There is a sticky on what we do and do not want as sources when making a request here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9271

If you had bothered to do a quick search for "Alias" on the forums I'm sure you would have very quickly found out why you can't scrape them.
Furthermore, if you had had a quick look at one of the numerous threads regarding site issues, you would also have seen that we know that the web site is slow right now and the Admins are trying many things to sort this out. Believe it or not "use a different web host" is not a very helpful suggestion. hikaricore told you to "deal with it" because last time I checked, you aren't paying the hosting bills to keep the site going.

I will delete the empty HATSUKOI entry but I would be more worried about your scraper to be honest.

First of all, your website sucks; the layout is terrible. If you want people to post in the proper section, then you should have created a proper section that is easy to find in the first place. The duty of any technical service is to make it simple enough that no user could possibly have a problem running your service. A scraper that does not scrape well is not a good scraper at all. A scraper must be intelligent, and use any and all aliases to correctly identify a series the first time, no mistakes. A website must be structured in a way that is both simple and visually pleasing. A forum must have proper subforums that are easy to navigate. index.php Now tell me, where do you see a subforum labeled for technical issues? The answer, there is none. Especially for a website such as this. The proper name of TV shows should be standardized and enforced. If you are going to identify one series by the Japanese name, then you shouldn't be identifying other shows by their translated names. Furthermore, if you are going to use the English name, the use the correct translation. I care not to have my hobby in collecting TV shows to look unprofessional due to a scraper that cannot scrape intelligently. If your scraper cannot scrape aliases, then it's not doing it's job well at all. Consistency errors are not cool by any means, especially when you have an OCD.

Second, Wikipedia is the single greatest source to locating sources, this cannot be refuted. If you are too technically challenged to navigate to the bottom of a Wikipedia page to click on the links which validate the Wikipedia article, that's not my fault. The Internet isn't out there to get you, and any fear regarding accuracy of such is nothing more than fear of the misinformed. In fact, Wikipedia is significantly more reliable than any news broadcasting station in the entire US. It is even more reliable than this website in finding information about TV shows. I question whether you have actually come across a Wikipedia article that was incorrect. At best, the worst I've found on Wikipedia articles is that they were simply not worded well or were lacking some information. As an avid user of Wikipedia, I take it upon myself to make sure all articles I come across are worded perfectly, and any missing information added. Most people who browse Wikipedia will instantly correct any mistakes in the articles if they find one, and no malevolent user can simply destroy an article as any malevolent changes they make would soon be reverted. If you think I had 10,000 episodes without already being very familiar with ANN/MAL/AniDB, that would be funny. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Reborn!_episodes I dare you to find anything here that is inaccurate. The entire article itself, and all the references listed at the bottom which back it up.

Third, if you were to get into IT professionally, such as myself, the major rule is to never speak towards your users in any negative way. To tell people to 'deal with it' is most unprofessional. Instead, the proper course of action that a professional would take is to acknowledge the situation and inform the user as to what is being done about the issue. It's not very comforting to know that a service I am using is being maintained by amateurs. I already know the problem with this website, and it very much is due to improperly managed resources pointing towards the hosting service. A service such as this must be properly load balanced; of which this website is completely lacking in.

Finally, last time I checked, it's not my duty to pay the bills of a free service, nor is it my responsibility to update the database in my spare time. If you can't continually adapt and fix problems in your service, it won't take long before your service is rendered obsolete.

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:05 pm

How about you take a few days off and come back when you're more civil. User is banned until monday.

Coco
Site Admin

Postby Coco » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:02 am

For some reason you think because we're trying to provide a free service we owe you something. I don't know where you got this idea but let me be clear, we DO NOT owe you anything. As for your issues some could be solved by reading the rules others are things we're working towards. Properly load balancing the site requires actually having cash for multiple servers and time from programmers to design a system that can actually do that. These kinds of things are being worked towards but they don't come easy. If you want to create your own free site that can do better then us then feel free we're certainly not going to stop you. We even provide a free DB dump of our database to get you started if you want. It's a costly and very time extensive effort.

Many of us actually do work in IT professionally and that's part of the reason why we don't get to spend all our time working on this site. It's easy to say what needs to be done but to find people who have the cash and time to do it is another matter altogether.
Please don't PM me. Post in the forums instead unless there is a very good reason for a PM or I won't respond.

ManiacB
Site Moderator

Postby ManiacB » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:05 am

mmstick wrote:blah blah blah

Lol yeah okay sure pal. I actually do work in IT and no, I wouldn't tell my paying customers to deal with it. Because they pay for that service. Do you? No, so shut up, you fucking sponge. We don't owe you anything and if you have a problem with the site, the layout, or the fact we're not going to go out of our way to satisfy your own OCD, you are more than welcome to take our database dump and make your own.

I especially like your last line, which really does reveal you for the self-entitled little shit that you are:

mmstick wrote:Finally, last time I checked, it's not my duty to pay the bills of a free service, nor is it my responsibility to update the database in my spare time. If you can't continually adapt and fix problems in your service, it won't take long before your service is rendered obsolete.

It's nobody's responsibility to update the website in their spare time. It's something people do if they want to. It's an open database that is built around the idea that everyone can and will update it. So the one thing I do agree with you on is that the site will eventually become obsolete if it cannot adapt. However, the vast amount of series which are kept up to date and the large number of other websites and scrapers that still use our data would suggest that we're still very far away from that scenario.

I suggest you use the few days that you've been banned for to consider just how it is you should be interacting with this community. If you do work in IT, or any form of customer service then you should know only too well that abusive and demanding customers do not get their demands met quicker - quite the opposite in fact. If, after all this, you still think it is acceptable to make outrageous demands as you have above, then you're not welcome here, and I would advise you to go and make your own TV Database if you think ours sucks so much.

charliebee

Postby charliebee » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:39 pm

Woah I just can't believe somebody would have such an attitude! You guys should just ban him permanently. What can he possibly bring (positively) to this community?

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby DarklightIndigo » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:48 am

I'll go one better. He gets a permanent spot on the wall of shame, not to be confused with Denied Requests (although that's where this shithead is going).
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.