Get more competent mods please. / The Hikaricore Fan Club!

Keep out! Low flying bears!
rufus001

Re: Get more competent mods please. / The Hikaricore Fan Clu

Postby rufus001 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:06 pm

What the hell is going on here? Over 3 months with no posts!!!! Oh well. If you want something done properly then you have to do it yourself ...

Hikaricore sucks!!!!!!

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:34 pm

My fanclub sadly is dwindling in size. Perhaps people are growing up?

lvl99poopbutt

Postby lvl99poopbutt » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:50 pm

Point to back up the general consensus about Hikaricore's effectiveness as a mod:

I tried to bribe him with pictures of my boobs to consider a particular request of mine. Didn't even respond. Probably didn't even read it.

Now I have a weird rejection-crush on him.

kissmyass

Postby kissmyass » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:30 am

Or perhaps you permabanned them all you fucking dipshit.

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:15 am

I absolutely love your email address. :D

henryford

Re: Get more competent mods please.

Postby henryford » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:52 am

hikaricore wrote:It's mostly here as a catchall for dickheads and to humor the rest of us.
I'm not really a long standing member, but I read a lot of posts prior to this. And this quote is one of the exact reasons why I cannot be bothered to actually contribute to a service I not only value but I also appreciate. There are a lot of example on this board in which moderators blatantly insult people because they make suggestion on the believe that they're not only right but they're helping.
I for one tried to "fix" Family Guy a couple of months back - because Fox listed the series as being already in season 10 (just as an example) where it was listed as season 9 on here. I changed it simply because I didn't know better. I read the instructions, looked at what is considered to be the "prime" source and I honestly believed that I was doing everything according to the rules and I was doing it right.

But it was changed back a day later, with the series eventually being locked completely and there was no reason as to why given. I searched the forums and saw similiar complaints about the series - with threads where moderators (I don't recall who though) called people being dumbasses simply because they did everything as to their instructions. THIS is the reason why this community seems so ungrateful - because the team seems to be ungrateful about users contributions as well. I understand why this can be frustrating, but calling people names is not "a bad attitude" - it is rude and very discouraging. Despite the fact that it is totally uncalled for.

And you tell us to let things go? Alright then.

But yeah, as I'm replying to this thread I may be considered a dickhead as well, as you so nicely stated.

Maybe, just maybe - instead of locking series, you could provide contextual information on series where mistakes are prone to happen (Family Guy is just one example). Create a wiki entry explaining why this series has this numbering instead of the numbering you can see on their official website. But yeah - you could also continue to call people "dickheads", "assholes" and whatever because you cannot be bothered to explain certain decisions in a manner that everyone can see and access. That'll show them!

RVCA18 wrote:Oh dear god what have I stumbled upon here...

I don't think people realize that there's only one true rule that the players must follow in this thetvdb.com game, and its "their site, their rules".

Than they should at least be honest and stop calling it "open".

P.S.: And before you ask - no I didn't read further than that page in this thread. Probably because I'm a dickhead.
I'll continue reading now and consider changing my post - but as of now, you really do not seem to have a keen interest in actually building a helpful, concerned community, but rather a team of moderators/owners/admins/whatevers who just like to insult people on a daily basis. This totally deminishes everything you say you are working for.

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:10 am

You're about a year late and a dollar short. :) Our rules are put in place for a reason and when people disagree sometimes things get messy. You can honestly only tell people nicely why a listing is the way it is before you get sick of doing so. Having said that, I've been much less involved in TheTVDb over the last year and a half or so... the general attitude of the user base hasn't really changed much from what I can see. Maybe it's about time to stop blaming me and start following procedures? I don't really know what else to tell you.

henryford

Postby henryford » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:22 am

Yap, just realized that as well :D
However - I had no intention whatsoever to blame you! Really, I didn't. The quote was just randomly picked, I didn't check the username beforehand. I just saw this thread and took it as a general "complain department" ;) Well - the thread title could have sent me in the right direction - but well, here we go. I don't even really blame anyone for the presented attitude here, I really can understand the frustration and the "hatred" that presents itself when confronted with such a bullshit (I'd honestly blame a lot more users here than I'd blame any mod) over and over again. (I worked for >4 years in end customer service - I really get where you're coming from!)

My suggestion would be, by the way, to not need to tell the people over and over again. What my suggestion involves is some kind of information on the actual site of the series. So, for example, that when you access the site of Family Guy, there would be a "warning" of some sort that this series might not seem to be right and an explanation why it is this way (with a link to the wiki explaining the status)

------------------------------------

Mhm - seems that I am unable to edit my post. Nevertheless - reading more and more, I'd like to make a suggestion:
Name a "community manager". As in: Someone who is willing to put up with the bs and the rudeness some users bring onto this forum (I'd never doubt that there are indeed a lot of users who seem to be unable to read, flat out demanding things, and so on). But who is willing to put up with it in a polite manner. If another mod finds a thread where he completely disagrees with and gets the urge to shout at the person posting whatever he posted, he should contact the community manager and just move on to another thread. Maybe lock the thread in the meantime so no other useless posts may be added to there and let the cm add the explanation and deal with the "shit").
So that a person that is dedicated to only deal with such posts/threads/users can deal with it in a manner that everyone can agree upon.

I hope it's clear what I'm suggesting. In short: Appoint a community manager who deals with all the shit that makes the other mods angry and frustrated.

(P.S.: Yes, I'd be willing to do it. But - as you can see - I have no history on this board and thus I don't know if you'd really want to trust those responsibilities onto someone like me)

ManiacB
Site Moderator

Re: Get more competent mods please.

Postby ManiacB » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:31 pm

henryford wrote:Maybe, just maybe - instead of locking series, you could provide contextual information on series where mistakes are prone to happen (Family Guy is just one example). Create a wiki entry explaining why this series has this numbering instead of the numbering you can see on their official website. But yeah - you could also continue to call people "dickheads", "assholes" and whatever because you cannot be bothered to explain certain decisions in a manner that everyone can see and access. That'll show them!

You mean like this?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6308

Yeah we probably should. That would definitely stop people :P

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:21 pm

Am I the only one who thinks this user is mixing up Family Guy with American Dad?