Get more competent mods please. / The Hikaricore Fan Club!

Keep out! Low flying bears!
johnnybluejeans

Re: Get more competent mods please. / The Hikaricore Fan Clu

Postby johnnybluejeans » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:23 am

You can always tell that you've struck a nerve with a person when they go straight for the "death wish". It seems like you need to get some of that pent-up aggression out of your system. If it helps, you can think about me while you're anger-banging your parent's couch cushions tonight. Go ahead, I deserve it.

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:06 am

The death wish? lol... Whatever you say friend. I'm fine just as I am. You're the one who can't seem to accept no for an answer and felt the urge to mockingly whine about it. :) If it makes you all feel better I don't mind being the bad guy, however I think it would be best to keep track of where that really comes from.

ianken

Postby ianken » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:34 pm

LOL. This thread has been going for two years.

I concur that the quality bar for locking series is laughably low. I'd fix stuff, but alas, I am not 1337 enough.

Summary for "Bleach" S06E06:

"Rukia helps Ichigo over comes, his depression, from not being able to help his friends and getting beat up by the Arrancars.

Afterwards the Shinigami group that came down to Earth for help the upcoming battle, tells Ichigo what kind of Menos they are battling."

Seriously WTF is that? :roll:

Although, the abysmal grammar and what-not of the metadata is usually worth a hearty laugh when I see it come up in MediaBrowser or Plex.

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:23 pm

Entries are locked to prevent vandalism. We currently have no method of rolling back "fixes" by the various users who want to "help us make things accurate". Sadly this often leaves information which could be otherwise updated in the state which we found it in. Pissing and moaning about locking series entries and blaming me for everything won't help. If you find something that needs updated please post in the correct area of the forums and it will be looked into. Hint: In this situation it would not be general but series requests.. you may want to use the template from the translation forum to provide this information in a usable format. Or you could just keep crying in here. Your choice.

ManiacB
Site Moderator

Postby ManiacB » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:14 am

ianken wrote:LOL. This thread has been going for two years.

I concur that the quality bar for locking series is laughably low. I'd fix stuff, but alas, I am not 1337 enough.

"Rukia helps Ichigo over comes, his depression, from not being able to help his friends and getting beat up by the Arrancars.

Afterwards the Shinigami group that came down to Earth for help the upcoming battle, tells Ichigo what kind of Menos they are battling."

Although, the abysmal grammar and what-not of the metadata is usually worth a hearty laugh when I see it come up in MediaBrowser or Plex.

Laugh away, you're only laughing at yourself though as all of the content on here (good or bad) is entirely user-contributed. Locks are not made to preserve the "pristine" quality of any information therein, they're made to stop major vandalism from occuring.

If you really wanted, you could post a thread in Series Requests to get these things changed, but I guess that would either be too "1337" for you to do, or it's just much easier to sit there and scoff at something, rather than try and help fix it.

szsori
Site Admin

Postby szsori » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:05 pm

ianken wrote:Although, the abysmal grammar and what-not of the metadata is usually worth a hearty laugh when I see it come up in MediaBrowser or Plex.

I'll immediately update the overviews so they're formatted with a single sentence per line.

(this is my forum appearance for the month. carry on)

djcode
Brony
Brony

Postby djcode » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:50 am

szsori wrote:
ianken wrote:Although, the abysmal grammar and what-not of the metadata is usually worth a hearty laugh when I see it come up in MediaBrowser or Plex.

I'll immediately update the overviews so they're formatted with a single sentence per line.

(this is my forum appearance for the month. carry on)

:lol:
All PM's will be ignored unless I'm bored, so stop sending them!

ianken

Postby ianken » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:51 pm

ManiacB wrote:
ianken wrote:LOL. This thread has been going for two years.

Laugh away, you're only laughing at yourself though as all of the content on here (good or bad) is entirely user-contributed. Locks are not made to preserve the "pristine" quality of any information therein, they're made to stop major vandalism from occuring.

If you really wanted, you could post a thread in Series Requests to get these things changed, but I guess that would either be too "1337" for you to do, or it's just much easier to sit there and scoff at something, rather than try and help fix it.

There are in the realms of the intertubes user sourced content communities that maintain a high quality bar. Articles and documents are not locked or finalized until a moderator sings off. I get that there need be safeguards against vandals. I'm sure there are all sorts of griefers that would love to troll this site with gusto. That doesn't change the fact that stuff is locked down with no eye towards maintaining a certain level of quality. It is painfully obvious. Any contributor should at least be able to handle "there", "they're" and "their" correctly.

I would PAY to have an account where I could make edits and contribute beyond posting errata in a forum.

-Ian

ManiacB
Site Moderator

Postby ManiacB » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:14 am

So you're saying that if someone has completely trashed a series, a moderator not only has to spend their time fixing the listings again (which takes ages using the current tools on this old site), but we're then expected to quality check every single entry (of a show we probably haven't even watched so how do we know that the information is correct even if it is grammatically accurate? I suppose we'll be expected to watch every TV show ever next?) of said show before we're permitted to lock it? You either seriously underestimate how much there is on this site and how much it's used/modified every day, or you seriously overestimate how much time us moderators (or unpaid volunteers) are able to spend here.

Either way, what you want is completely unreasonable and unnecessary. If information is incorrect and needs changing on a locked series, anyone can post in the "Series Requests" forum to have it corrected. I really don't see why this is something you're unwilling to do.

g_d

Postby g_d » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:19 am

Do not know what kind of person the mod is, but...

After asking politely in my thread http://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13144

I got slapped with: Don't care, fuck you attitude with one added please.

Being marginally decent and showing some form of respect to someone who addresses you in a polite manner is considered normal.
I do understand you do not agree with me in regard to the aforementioned show, but your site boasts with being OPEN and naming all kinds of sw and devices using your DB
and yet...

Sick Beard is a decent software, free and has a community around it. I was not the only one asking about this and still do not think my request is unreasonable. It is not so black and white as you say and one extra database entry which would solve a headache for multiple users should be a priority. It is not some sort of a whimsy,

I can appreciate the fact that you are busy, but when SEVERAL users are asking for a same thing, maybe they are on to something.

When people asked in Sick Beard forum about a chance to use TVrage or other scrapers the SB guys replied that they have built SB around TVdb and it is going to stay like that. The fact that you don't give a flying f**k about them is really appalling. And telling me to use NFO files is really useful. If I wanted to have one special show using NFO when everything elase is managed otherwise I would not have bothered to post here in the first place. I'm done anyway.

Good day to you sir.