Get more competent mods please. / The Hikaricore Fan Club!

Keep out! Low flying bears!
dgaust

Sun May 22, 2011 5:14 pm

outleradam wrote:How about giving "legit" users special permissions to edit verified information... Basically, forum moderator permissions over a show.
As far as I am aware, that'll be a function on the new site - whenever that may arrive. The ability to have show mods will take a lot of the weight off the current mods shoulders.

Frankly the mods here have it tough, not just from users demanding (very few ask) fixes without providing any information to corroborate, but the tools the mods have to do anything are very very limited. It makes it virtually impossible to make even small tweaks without a lot of additional work.

So whatever you think about the attitudes of some of the mods, or their decisions, they do a lot of work here for nix.
'Underbelly' is not one show with 4 seasons, but 4 independent mini-series. If you insist otherwise you're a moron.
TMM

Sun May 22, 2011 7:10 pm

hikaricore wrote:To be completely honest with you here, at this point you'd be better off sneakily making a new account and changing your tone. The general consensus around here is that you're a whiny little bitch who pitches a fit when you don't get your way, and as such no one wants to be bothered putting any time or effort into your requests.
One could say the same about you at times hikaricore.
See what i did there? It works both ways. If you weren't so bitter to others then people wouldn't be bitter towards you.

I'm not the one to tell you how to moderate, but in my experience, being calm and setting a good example as a moderator will have most of the users follow suit. If you be an arsehole to the users they will be arseholes back and not contribute to the site and possibly even troll making more work for you - my point is pretty much proven when people start naming episodes "hikaricore is a dick".

Yes, there are people who will troll not matter what you do or say, and they should be dealt with accordingly. But for every one of those there would be at least 20 people who want to help. At the moment those 20 people are wondering why they bother.

If someone goes to the effort to create a thread pointing out that something is wrong, they are trying to help fix the site. If you discount them as being a whiney bitch, they won't want to help anymore, and will probably dedicate their time to trolling instead (that's why this thread exists...). Who is a more useful user, one who goes to the effort of make a thread complete with references pointing out a mistake, or one who does not contribute at all?

If you got everyone on your side instead of just telling them they are idiots, then imagine how much shit would get done, and there would be less work for the moderators to fix.

Also, too much work for moderators? get more moderators? There are more then a few people aroudn here that a capable and willing to do it.
dgaust

Sun May 22, 2011 8:31 pm

TMM wrote:Also, too much work for moderators? get more moderators? There are more then a few people aroudn here that a capable and willing to do it.
I didn't see too many people putting their hands up when there was an open call for moderators a while ago. In fact I think there were two people who put their hands up. They've also lost a couple of mods to retirement.

I'm sure if anyone wanted to mod, they could PM one of the existing moderators putting themselves forward as a candidate and they would be considered. They'd need some form on the board though, we wouldn't want just any tom, dick or henrietta having the power to make changes at a whim. Chaos would reign supreme.
'Underbelly' is not one show with 4 seasons, but 4 independent mini-series. If you insist otherwise you're a moron.
mwkurt
Site Moderator

Mon May 23, 2011 9:54 am

dgaust wrote:
TMM wrote:Also, too much work for moderators? get more moderators? There are more then a few people aroudn here that a capable and willing to do it.
I didn't see too many people putting their hands up when there was an open call for moderators a while ago. In fact I think there were two people who put their hands up. They've also lost a couple of mods to retirement.

I'm sure if anyone wanted to mod, they could PM one of the existing moderators putting themselves forward as a candidate and they would be considered. They'd need some form on the board though, we wouldn't want just any tom, dick or henrietta having the power to make changes at a whim. Chaos would reign supreme.
You probably didn't see too many people putting their hands up because most probably PM'd the Mods. There were probably more volunteers than you know. I was one.

Mark
szsori
Site Admin

Mon May 23, 2011 10:44 am

mwkurt wrote:
dgaust wrote:

You probably didn't see too many people putting their hands up because most probably PM'd the Mods. There were probably more volunteers than you know. I was one.

Mark
You were the only one. Last time we asked for them we had 2 volunteers, and one disappeared after a week.

When someone offers to be a mod I run it by the other owners, look through the person's forum history, check their updates on the site (in some cases), and then update them and add them to our mod forum. It generally takes me about a week. :)
dgaust

Mon May 23, 2011 4:23 pm

mwkurt wrote:You probably didn't see too many people putting their hands up because most probably PM'd the Mods. There were probably more volunteers than you know. I was one.

Mark
I was a mod at the time, so I know...
bluenote

Fri May 27, 2011 5:24 pm

This place has a serious poisoned atmosphere. Every time I feel like getting involved
I sign in to the forum to see whats going on and educate myself about this place
and I end up just leaving because the atmosphere just sucks.

Usually where there's one theres others, too. In my
experience most just silently leave, leaving no trace.

I feel like I need to disclaim that I love the service,
I'm grateful, I've had some decent discussions with
people here, I don't necessarily understand
the inner workings etc. The fact that I feel
like I have to do that is kind of the point of
what I'm saying.
crash123
Former Moderator

Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:24 am

So I heard we we need more competent mods/mudkips. Can I move this post somewhere or delete it or is it here for the lulz?
hikaricore
Site Moderator

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:56 am

It's mostly here as a catchall for dickheads and to humor the rest of us.
szsori
Site Admin

Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:18 am

This is one of my favorite threads on the forum. Anyone moving it or deleting it should fear my wrath. :)