NatGeo Aliases

Keep out! Low flying bears!
manekineko
Goddess of Documentaries

NatGeo Aliases

Postby manekineko » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:22 pm

Another big can of worms :roll:
It seems like a lot of NatGeo series have different names in different areas.
Examples include

The Secrest History = History's Secrets = History's Conspiracies
Situation Critical = Critical Situation
Lockdown = America's Hardest Prisons

This may give us lots of accidental duplicates, where people actually did search and then entered a new series, believing it wasn't on the tvdb already.

If anyone knows other series like this, please post here so aliases can be added and dupes can be cleaned up.
"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views."
-- Doctor Who, The Face of Evil

manekineko
Goddess of Documentaries

Re: NatGeo Aliases

Postby manekineko » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:35 pm

Earth Investigated = Naked Science :|
"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views."

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:46 pm

Most people don't bother searching or even reading the information on the add series page. :p

manekineko
Goddess of Documentaries

Postby manekineko » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:45 am

hikaricore wrote:Most people don't bother searching or even reading the information on the add series page. :p

I know. I work in IT support, remember? ;)
But almost 20 years of experience in that line of work tell me that there are usually about 5% of users who actually do give a damn.
And when I do a clean up I want to do it right.

Serberus
Former Moderator

Postby Serberus » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:55 pm

Where did this "manekineko" person come from? Is he a superhero from a comic book? He's like Batman. Normal everyday kinda guy with a thirst for correct data entry!
HEY YOU! READ THIS STUFF!
WIKI | SITE & FORUM RULES
Also, you need to SEARCH THE FORUMS before posting a new topic.

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:39 pm

I personally believe him to be an alien, but I don't yet have substantial proof.

manekineko
Goddess of Documentaries

Postby manekineko » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:27 pm

*cough* wrong gender attribution -- and you don't expect me to reveal my secret identity, do you? 8-)

dd314159
Site Moderator

Postby dd314159 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:04 pm

National Geographic Explorer is another one:
it is listed as
National Geographic Explorer http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=79319&lid=7
and as
National Geographic Channel Explorer http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=85404&lid=7
as far as I can tell the former is the most correct, although the later has some specials that are missing from the first.

BTW, manekineko has done some outstanding cleanup work on some various shows....BBC documentaries and Horizon to name but two....
I'll just refer to manekineko as the "cat person" for now....
ImageImageImage

manekineko
Goddess of Documentaries

Postby manekineko » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:47 pm

dd314159 wrote:National Geographic Explorer is another one:
it is listed as
National Geographic Explorer http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=79319&lid=7
and as
National Geographic Channel Explorer http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=85404&lid=7
as far as I can tell the former is the most correct, although the later has some specials that are missing from the first.

Thanks. Another one added to the (fast growing) list. Seems like the fun part this time will be the cleanup after the cleanup...

BTW, manekineko has done some outstanding cleanup work on some various shows....BBC documentaries and Horizon to name but two....

Oh well... you could call them dry runs for this one. Compared to the NatGeo mess they were pretty easy -- with British documentaries there are reliable sources like the BFI. This is like playing darts in the dark.
I'll just refer to manekineko as the "cat person" for now....

*meow*
So, according to hikaricore and you I'm something like this?
Works for me :D

manekineko
Goddess of Documentaries

Postby manekineko » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:47 am