dragon ball z

Keep out! Low flying bears!
thecubical

dragon ball z

Postby thecubical » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:12 pm

http://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seri ... 4404&lid=7

seems to be all over the place, the first few seasons have lots of just blank episodes.

Also the first few seasons seem to include episodes that appear in teh later seasons

ie.
http://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&ser ... 4516&lid=7
http://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&ser ... 0395&lid=7

Niegen

Re: dragon ball z

Postby Niegen » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:09 am

As I have recently registered, I came to the conclusion the problem with Dragon Ball Z has the following reasons :

1) People are confused between using the original, japanese order (291 episodes) and american dub (274 episodes if I am not mistaken)
I for one think we should use the japanese order.
2) Non-US people are not used to the Season system for anime series. Those "empty" episodes you noticed have in fact french info in them.
Those people also took the freedom to put the episode number in the french title of the episode! (I am french myself)

My conclusions:
Dragon ball Z (Japanese) (id81918) has all the japanese episodes properly listed but no banner/art/thumbs. That's the one I use with XBMC. The specials are not in though.
Dragon ball Z (id72552) is mostly useless in its current form. I would discard it, except I would export the "Special season" to merge it into Dragon ball Z (Japanese) (id81918)
Dragon Ball Z (Uncut) (id81472) is also following the japanese order, but is missing the later seasons/episodes. It has some nice banner/art/thumbs though, most of them being the same than Dragon ball Z (id72552). I would merge it into Dragon ball Z (Japanese) (id72552).
Dragon Ball Z (France) (id79723) has a lot of missing info, and I think its info is wrong for the later part. I would discard it.
Dragon Ball Z (Portugal) (id34197) could probably used to some extent to merge in the Portuguese titles, but I don't read Portuguese, so I can't really tell.

I know discarding those info would hurt, but trying to repair them would be a waste of time.
It would be better to start from scratch, even with an empty "skeletton", like Dragon ball Z (Japanese) (id81918) currently is, and edit from there.

thecubical

Postby thecubical » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:00 pm

can an admin please remove all of the episodes I have marked as DELETE ME

from seasons 1-3, and then remove completly seasons 4 onwards and I will add them as per the tv.com listing (http://www.tv.com/dragonball-z/show/1904) which im pretty sure is correct for this series, unless of course the person that removed them wants to add them as well, I'm happy to do it, got a fair bit of free time at the moment.

Niegen

Postby Niegen » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:24 am

The following us episodes are in fact multiple episodes (source: wikipedia):

(Season 1)
US Episode 1 = Japanese Episodes 1 & 2
US Episode 4 = Japanese Episodes 5, 6 & 7
US Episode 6 = Japanese Episodes 9 & 10
US Episode 8 = Japanese Episodes 12 & 13
US Episode 10 = Japanese Episodes 15 & 16
US Episode 19 = Japanese Episodes 25 & 26
US Episode 23 = Japanese Episodes 30 & 31
US Episode 25 = Japanese Episodes 33 & 34
US Episode 27 = Japanese Episodes 36 & 37
US Episode 28 = Japanese Episodes 38 & 39

(Season 2)
US Episode 29 = Japanese Episodes 40 & 41
US Episode 39 = Japanese Episodes 51 & 52
US Episode 53 = Japanese Episodes 66 & 67

(Season 4?)
US Episode 64 = Japanese Episodes 78 & 79
OR US Episode 65 = Japanese Episodes 79 & 80

(Need a check on the last one)

13 double episode & 1 triple episode account for the 15 episodes difference between the Japanese and the US "cuts" (291 vs 274)

I have done some thinking :

Having no duplicates would be an ideal case, and as a database programmer myself, that's what I would aim for if editing was not open to anyone.
In order to avoid confusion though, I would allow DBZ to have duplicates:

Dragon ball Z (Japanese) (id81918) would be renamed to Dragon Ball Z (Non-US) or Dragon Ball Z (Toei)
Dragon Ball Z (id72552) would be renamed to Dragon Ball Z (US) or Dragon Ball Z (Funimation)

Doing so would force users to notice that there are 2 entries with different numbering systems.

I would be very obliged to have an admin opinion about this.

Thanks in advance.

@thecubical: Until everyting is sorted out, I wouldn't start such heavy editing. You don't want your hard work being deleted!

thecubical

Postby thecubical » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:27 pm

the collection of dbz that I have matches up exactly with what is under the tv.com (http://www.tv.com/dragonball-z/show/190 ... l?season=1)

I dont think any of the current versions of dbz here actually conform to this do they? I think the one I started editing should reflect this tv.com series

thecubical

Postby thecubical » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:51 pm

doesn't seem like any admins want to reply to this...in the mean time woudl it be ok for me to create a temporary dragon ball z and put the correct info in there then later on have someone delete the incorrect dbz and replace it with my one

polargeek
The Cat's Ass

Postby polargeek » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:28 pm

Just a warning - If you create a duplicate it will 99.99% of the time be deleted
All PM's asking for exceptions, rule changes, series unlocks et al will be ignored.

thecubical

Postby thecubical » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:13 am

:(

damn just have to wait for some gracious admin to stumble here then!

Coco
Site Admin

Postby Coco » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:12 am

Yeah don't make another Dragon Ball Z entry. The only reason this thread isn't getting any replies is due to the massive mess that it's in currently. It takes a long time to fix but one thing I can say for sure is if another one gets added it'll get deleted. The last thing this mess needs is one more entry to mess it up even worse.
Please don't PM me. Post in the forums instead unless there is a very good reason for a PM or I won't respond.

thecubical

Postby thecubical » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:04 am

well as i said earlier tomorrow I have the whole day free pretty much so if you have time to delete the incorrect entries I can enter the rest as per tv.com