Horace and Pete (+nfo's)

This section of the forum is for our users to share their custom NFO files for alternate show orderings and "series" which do not belong directly in our database.
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for our users to share their custom NFO files for alternate show orderings and "series" which do not belong directly in our database. It will not be moderated except to remove abuse and spam so do not expect admin/mod support here. NFO files should be stored offsite on either cloud storage or similar hosting sites. Have fun and don't make us regret this.
bennett

Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:21 pm

Hi guys

Over the past few days, this new web series keeps getting added to and deleted from the tvdb. Just to clear this up, the first episode is titled "Episode 1", with plans to release an entire series.

A quick read of the rules for the web series suggests that it needs at least 10 episodes to qualify, and there's only one so far for this series, so I expect that's why this series keeps getting deleted. So assuming the mods aren't willing to make an exception, we'll need to make do with .nfo's until there are at least 10 episodes.

Either way, can we please get an official decision from the mods as to whether an exception can be made for this webseries? If an exception can't be made, feel free to mode this thread into the NFO Central forum. Cheers.

And without further ado, here are my .nfo's created so far:

tvshow.nfo

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<tvshow>
  <title>Horace and Pete</title>
  <year>2016</year>
  <rating></rating>
  <plot></plot>
  <runtime></runtime>
  <mpaa></mpaa>
  <genre></genre>
  <premiered>2016-01-30</premiered>
  <studio></studio>
  <id></id>
  <tvdbid></tvdbid>
  <sortorder>default</sortorder>
  <language>en</language>
  <episodeactorsource>tvdb</episodeactorsource>
  <tvshowactorsource>tvdb</tvshowactorsource>
  <locked>0</locked>
</tvshow>

Horace and Pete - 1x01 - Episode 1.webdl-1080p.nfo

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<episodedetails>
  <fileinfo>
    <streamdetails>
      <video />
    </streamdetails>
  </fileinfo>
  <title>Episode 1</title>
  <season>1</season>
  <episode>1</episode>
  <aired>2016-01-30</aired>
  <plot></plot>
  <playcount></playcount>
  <director>Louis C.K.</director>
  <credits></credits>
  <rating></rating>
  <runtime></runtime>
</episodedetails>
Maretoh

Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:57 pm

I guess the principal problem is that it doesn't stream anywhere but on CK's website, which isn't a valid "network".

Thanks for the NFO's though.
An episode a day keeps the doctor away.
nadrigol

Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:29 am

Perhaps in the year 2016, some guidelines should be put in place to allow for non-network series to be added to the database. This certainly won't be the last network-less show that garners such a large following.
bennett

Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:38 pm

Maretoh wrote:I guess the principal problem is that it doesn't stream anywhere but on CK's website, which isn't a valid "network". So it simply can't be added, whatever the number of released episodes.

Thanks for the response, Maretoh, but according to the rules*, a valid "network" isn't a requirement:

What Qualifies as a Series:
A series is exactly what it sounds like, a sequence of shows. If a show on TV isn't a series, it doesn't belong here, with the exception of documentaries (see "Documentaries" in this post). This means that made-for-TV movies, single episode specials, and the like should not be listed on theTVdb. These should be included in your movies directories as most movie database websites (IMDB, TMDb, etc.) take care of them. If in doubt, post in the forums before adding a series. Web Series' fall under a different set of rules which can be found HERE

*The rules for Web Series don't define what a series is, so I've quoted the rules for non-web series.

The only requirement is that it's "a sequence of shows".

As you say, Horace and Pete is produced entirely by Louis C.K, which I suppose would classify it as "independent" or "indie" content, but there's no rules against indie content. If that's the only reason for its exclusion, then the rules need to be updated to prohibit indie content, assuming that's what we want to do. Otherwise, if/when it meets the other requirements, then it should be allowed.
polargeek
The Cat's Ass

Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:44 pm

Indie content is in no way prohibited - This "series" simply doesn't qualify as I hasn't met the 10 episodes requirement for a web based series
All PM's asking for exceptions, rule changes, series unlocks et al will be ignored.
bennett

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:11 am

Fair enough. Here's hoping. :)
jrcorwin

Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:26 pm

It's a ridiculous application of the rules. There are now 5 episodes and the ridiculous changes made to the show's entry here have left me with an error message in Kodi.

This series has received wonderful reviews and there is absolutely no reason to believe it will not continue. Perhaps the staff should have an actual discussion about things like this, rather than simply removing entries without consideration. This is not a show which failed to gain traditional distribution, rather it voluntarily avoided it. Arbitrarily denying its inclusion here is shortsighted. If a show like this cannot exist here, you should probably stop proclaiming this site as an "open database."

This is not some simple YouTube creation. It is a high quality production put on by an award winning staff and has resulted in a series receiving wide critical acclaim. Either TVDB is an open database or it isn't. The rules regarding shows like this one are clearly flawed and need to be discussed.