Manual nfo creator for Windows

This section of the forum is for our users to share their custom NFO files for alternate show orderings and "series" which do not belong directly in our database.
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for our users to share their custom NFO files for alternate show orderings and "series" which do not belong directly in our database. It will not be moderated except to remove abuse and spam so do not expect admin/mod support here. NFO files should be stored offsite on either cloud storage or similar hosting sites. Have fun and don't make us regret this.
mwkurt
Site Moderator

Manual nfo creator for Windows

Postby mwkurt » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:08 pm

Have you ever had a video file that you wanted to get XBMC to scrape but didn't feel like going through the tedious process of creating the whole thing by hand? Well I did too. So I made this little utility. What it is, is a Basic NFO Creator. The nfo file will be created and filled with the information that you provide. There is no online scraping that will take place with this. I have just posted a new version.
Here is what you can do:
Now or TV Show, Tv Show Episodes and Movies!

Enter the TV Show/Movie information for the file you want to put into your XBMC library, Choose a destination file, either a current folder or you can create a new folder, (Movie settings creates it's own folder). Select the settings you want include in your nfo file titles, Dates, quality, etc. For repetitive TV Show episodes you can set each any or all fields to propagate through to the next episode that you process. You can also include any spacer that you usually use for your library.

You can create a "TV Show" nfo file and folder to enter your episodes into.

Maybe I have a problem with my network as it would not recognize my network shares, however it works great with locally mapped network shares.
Please read the Help links on the menu bars. It pretty much explains the operation. It is all fairly straightforward.
This was created with VB on a Windows 32 bit machine, so if you have a similar setup, you should be golden.
Please play around with it at first with junk files until you are sure it works as it should and provide feedback or ask questions. Be gentle, it is my first program.

Here is the download link: https://app.box.com/s/cpkuk68hlgsuxmsb9lct

Thanks,
Mark

Muckl

Re: Manual nfo creator for Windows

Postby Muckl » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:27 am

Hey there,

thanks for creating & sharing! Thought about coding something similar myself, but never got around to actually doing it...

First of all, it seems to work fine on Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

Here are some general (and hopefully gentle enough ;) ) remarks:
(1) You forgot to exclude the superfluous folder "Support" from your release ZIP (its content is already packed as CAB)
(2) Inside the NFO, the encoding value in the first line has to be "UTF-8" (i.e. w/o spaces)
(3) The actual encoding of the generated text file should also be UTF-8 (not ANSI/ASCII)

So far I've only really had time to test the "Show NFO" part. Here are some suggestions/feature requests:
(1) Option to define default target folders (i.e. base folders wherein the new TV show/movie folder should reside)
(2) Automatically generate the folder name from entered data (let user define a pattern, like e.g. "%name% (%year%) [%id%]") & also create possibly missing folder(s)
(3) Option to create "combined" NFOs (i.e. append TheTVDB/IMDb URL & use attribute clear="true" for overwriting stuff that will be scraped by XBMC)
(4) Maybe somehow combine "Show NFO" & "Episode NFO"? (to create a complete workflow...)
(5) Support for more tags, e.g. sorttitle, set, ...

Good work!

Cheers, Muckl
Damn it! I can only think of things I can think of!

Muckl

Postby Muckl » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:52 am

Just discovered another bug:

Closing the program's windows with [X] only exits the GUI but doesn't kill the process entirely.
Both the button "End Program" and the menu command "File > Quit" work, though.
Damn it! I can only think of things I can think of!

mwkurt
Site Moderator

Postby mwkurt » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:00 pm

Thanks for the tips and critique! I have a look at what you suggested and see what I can do.

Mark

Edit: Please try the new zip file. Hopefully corrected the UTF-8 to file problem.

As far as your list of upgrades you would like.

1.) you can currently create a new destination folder for each of the 3 creation windows. It is in the file/directory picker on the lower left corner of the dialog called "Make New Folder"
2.)The Movie NFO creation does currently create it's own folder as "Movie Name (Year)".
3.) I don't fully understand what you are asking.
4.) Could happen, though I am planning on redoing this in Python.
5.) what new fields do you think are needed considering I made this just to be able to get something in the XBMC DB on the cheap?

Thanks for your input.

Mark

zohaa

Postby zohaa » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:33 am

You would need to rescan the item into your library to start. I'm assuming this is an XBMC fork of some kind?