National Geographic: Air Crash Investigation/Mayday

All completed requests go in here. This way we can clean our main forums, but still have this stuff show up in search.
Forum rules
PLEASE REFRAIN FROM REPLYING TO POSTS IN THIS SECTION DAYS/WEEKS/MONTHS AFTER THE FACT!
If you believe that you need to have a change fulfilled immediately, please start a new topic.

We do not actively check threads for replies as they are considered to be over and done with once they are moved here.
If you have a valid reason to reiterate an issue already covered in such a thread, please post a new topic in the appropriate area of the forum.
guygg

Re: National Geographic Documentaries

Postby guygg » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:33 am

You have my sincere pity in trying to make heads or tails of NatGeo's series names, season number and episode titles. I absolutely love the channel for the content, but cannot stand their utter insanity when it comes to any manner of common sense. I very much appreciate your efforts to break things apart into their respective series.

One series that's still a bit of a mess, and one I've finished organizing with my HTPC setup but haven't tied into the TheTVDB listings yet due to stuff not matching right, is Air Crash Investigation. To date, this series has been as bad or worse to get official info on than most any of NatGeo's other. Ignoring the fact that they air the show under numerous names, and have episodes of various differing names, it's even been hard to determine how many seasons it even has. However, recently the producer of the series (Cineflix) has started to sneak out some more info. A couple of the other sites have started aligning the episodes lists to this new info. Here is a link to Cineflix's page that details the season count and number of episodes for each season (hover over the "Episode Breakdown" button on the right side of the page):

http://www.cineflix.com/shows/mayday-air-disaster

Here's a link to the TVRage list:

http://www.tvrage.com/Air_Crash_Investi ... e_list/all

And I know how much it's hated around here to cite a WikiPedia source, but it has undergone a bunch of cleanup recently and is (imo - and I had nothing to do with editing it) probably the most accurate list based on the best current info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mayday_episodes

I absolutely love this series. I've got a complete collection of it that I'd love to get synced up with TheTVDB on my XBMC setup. It seemed like this was the best thread to toss this discussion in. If help is needed with Air Crash Investigation listings (or some of the other NatGeo ones), let me know and I'll do what I can to help out.

There are new episodes that are about to begin airing within the next week, btw.

manekineko
Goddess of Documentaries

Postby manekineko » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:14 pm

The cineflex link is great -- thank you!
Do you know all the other names Air Crash Investigation is known under? That would make the second stage of the cleanup much easier.
"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views."
-- Doctor Who, The Face of Evil

guygg

Postby guygg » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:14 pm

Air Emergency & Mayday are the two primary alternative names, used in various regions (I believe it's Air Emergency in the USA). Sometimes you see the names used in combination in weird ways in listings. My personal favorite is how they marketed the DVD set for season 1 ("Mayday: Air Disasters"):

http://www.amazon.com/Mayday-Air-Disast ... B001PCNZHM

Since they had already used "Emergency" and "Crash" in their titles, they figured that the DVD needed another variation with "Disasters" in the mix. Season 1 is the only one as yet to see a DVD release in the USA (and it was just a USA release). And in keeping with the solid lack of consistency, Season 7 got a DVD release in Australia (and only Australia). And yes, the episodes on the season 7 Australian set conform to the season # of 7 and episode titles as listed on the TVRage/WikiPedia pages (and Cineflix's season numbering and episode count).

It might be notable that the narrator is different between different region broadcast versions of the series (I much prefer the Air Crash Investigation version narrator over the one in the Mayday versions of the episodes).

manekineko
Goddess of Documentaries

Postby manekineko » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:32 am

Thanks for the info. If you or anyone happen to know more about the different names for NatGeo series in different areas please let me know so they can be properly aliased to avoid more confusion and duplicates.
guygg wrote:It might be notable that the narrator is different between different region broadcast versions of the series

Yes, we had that with Discovery Channel/Deadliest Catch as well.

...and a quick status update: I've not given up, but it's really complicated. So all help is welcome.
Still working on a multitude of spreadsheets to get this straightened out.
"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views."

NAG

Postby NAG » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:43 pm

Finally! Other people who find this show as infuriating as I do. However it would seem that a solution is on the horizon. I'd be in favour of mirroring how TVRage and Wikipedia have ordered the various series. It seems to make the most sense.

If I can be of any assistance in sorting this out, please let me know.

Aside: WTF do s03e10, 11 and 12 have to do with this show? It's not 'train/ferry crash investigation', it's 'AIR crash investigation'!!! It drives me nuts to continue to see these included as series episodes :x

manekineko
Goddess of Documentaries

Postby manekineko » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:10 am

Could someone please compile a list of Mayday/Air Crah Investigation and post it here?
Currently I have my hands full with the main NatGeo Documentaries series, especially as someone keeps adding random episodes to random seasons while I'm trying to straighten it out.

Bonus question: My google-fu faild me on the episodes named "Animal Patrol". Seems like I'm unable to find reliable sources. Is there anything out there or is it just a name the scene made up?

manekineko
Goddess of Documentaries

Postby manekineko » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:17 am

NAG wrote:Aside: WTF do s03e10, 11 and 12 have to do with this show? It's not 'train/ferry crash investigation', it's 'AIR crash investigation'!!! It drives me nuts to continue to see these included as series episodes :x

Someone blanked them -- never ever do that!!! -- so it's difficult to find out what they were in the first place. From what you describe they are listed in the generic series as well under "Crash Scene Investigation".

funkydunk

Postby funkydunk » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:27 pm

manekineko wrote:Could someone please compile a list of Mayday/Air Crah Investigation and post it here?
Currently I have my hands full with the main NatGeo Documentaries series, especially as someone keeps adding random episodes to random seasons while I'm trying to straighten it out.

Bonus question: My google-fu faild me on the episodes named "Animal Patrol". Seems like I'm unable to find reliable sources. Is there anything out there or is it just a name the scene made up?

Use the Wiki listing - it lines up with the Cineflix season and episode counts (including Crash Scene Investigation which was made by the same guys and was aired after Season 3). Not sure about the order of the episodes as it seems to vary (Nat Geo who air it in the US only list 8 seasons - with no season 6 too which really doesn't help). for some of the seasons it would be easier to delete them and start anew as they are really a mess.

totorou

Postby totorou » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:21 pm

Hello,

I'd like to show that for there is a confusion between Air Crash Season 6 http://thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesid ... 8044&lid=7 and Air Crash Season 7 http://thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesid ... 3471&lid=7 which are in fact the same episodes in a different sorting.

Season 7 should be deleted on TVDB. Season 8 should become 7, 9 should become 8, and 10 to 9.

The last released episodes from the show are Season 9.

Thank you very much !

totorou

Postby totorou » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:18 pm

Hello,

May I suggest to use the more of less official canadian episode list of IMDB (as it seems there are differents episodes numbers/seasons for usa/canada/uk)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386950/episodes