The New Pope is a separate show from The Young Pope, says the network that commissioned them. TVDB disagrees?

All completed requests go in here. This way we can clean our main forums, but still have this stuff show up in search.
Forum rules
PLEASE REFRAIN FROM REPLYING TO POSTS IN THIS SECTION DAYS/WEEKS/MONTHS AFTER THE FACT!
If you believe that you need to have a change fulfilled immediately, please start a new topic.

We do not actively check threads for replies as they are considered to be over and done with once they are moved here.
If you have a valid reason to reiterate an issue already covered in such a thread, please post a new topic in the appropriate area of the forum.
mcnahum

Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:39 am

The main question is how we get some human from thetvdb to come here and explain ... as I guess there is no one who already look or is interested by this show...
szsori
Site Admin

Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:25 am

We waited on making a decision on this until we were able to get more information. Up to this point, the approach has been correct based off site rules. However, today we found three things that support listing these separately:
  • HBO lists them as separate series on the website and HBO Now. This was known before, and on its own wouldn't have been sufficient to decide.
  • Studio System lists them separately. Since this is used by industry insiders, it tends to be one of the more reliable sources for information about show production.
  • We've seen production codes for The New Pope that indicate it is likely being produced as a new show. This is the only case I've seen production codes be useful.
With that new information, Equinox will be building out the record for The New Pope. Since some systems don't properly migrate data from individual seasons to different shows (TV Time), we'll be leaving both instances in place for the next few weeks. Once the data is properly migrated within TV Time, we'll be removing the season from The Young Pope and leaving them ONLY as separate series.

We appreciate everyone's patience on this, including the moderators. The site rules exist for a reason, and often the "common sense" approach that people clamor for based on "The Scene" (Sickbeard / Sonarr) isn't what studios and production companies work off of. We have a VERY wide range of systems using our API data and need to be as accurate as possible, with a consistent approach. When new facts come to light, as happened with this, we're fine changing the approach, but until then individual exceptions are highly discouraged.

Thank you everyone.
mcnahum

Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:05 pm

Thanks! Clear explanation and solution, all we needed
c4ho

Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:25 am

Good result in the end but the 4 month thread journey was a lesson to be learned from. At no point was this handled well.
kipek

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:12 am

Thanks for the decision you made.

I would like to ask to a moderator to move this and this record to the newly created The New Pope series, since these characters were introduced only this year, and to remove John Malkovich's character from The Young Pope for the same reason.
Also, as he is a main character in both the two shows/seasons, please can you create a record for Cardinal Aguirre in The New Pope too?
synology_john

Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:16 am

Young Pope episodes download as series 1, New Pope episodes also download as series 1. This then deletes The Young Pope episodes and replaces it with the New Pope episodes. As my shows are currently in 2 separate directories I get 2 copies of The new Pope series 1 and episodes missing from The Young Pope.
If it is The Young Pope series 2, I would have thought that HBO would be showing on their website as series 2, HBO currently shows The New Pope as series/season 1