Independent Lens - Season 20 updates

All completed requests go in here. This way we can clean our main forums, but still have this stuff show up in search.
Forum rules
PLEASE REFRAIN FROM REPLYING TO POSTS IN THIS SECTION DAYS/WEEKS/MONTHS AFTER THE FACT!
If you believe that you need to have a change fulfilled immediately, please start a new topic.

We do not actively check threads for replies as they are considered to be over and done with once they are moved here.
If you have a valid reason to reiterate an issue already covered in such a thread, please post a new topic in the appropriate area of the forum.
ktulu666

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:02 pm

Hello,

I was trying to match up Season 20 of Independent Lens (https://www.thetvdb.com/series/independ ... seasons/20) with the episode numbers given from the official PBS site (episode numbers taken from those listed here: https://www.pbs.org/show/independent-lens/extras/)

For episode 15 - Marcos Doesn't Live Here Anymore - this was actually aired under the Frontline series as a joint venture (https://www.pbs.org/video/marcos-doesnt ... re-vt91sz/), and is listed under Independent Lens as Episode 20. Also, there doesn't appear to be a listed episode 14 as far as I can tell, making The Providers as episode 15 and then the rest of the numbers are correct.

Didn't want to change anything without discussion first. Is it acceptable to have a gap in episode numbers - no episode 14? Also, what should be done about that "Marcos" episode - should it be episode 20 or maybe a special?

I've seen similar issues with other PBS shows, where some episode/production numbers for special episodes could be like 15x1001, 1002, etc., so might be something that's come up before.

Thanks!
Equinox
Site Moderator

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:21 am

Hi there,

It's a bit difficult to make decisions and changes based on the PBS website when it is so lackluster.
The episode number are only in the Extras section, whereas the Episodes section doesn't even show Season 20 — only seasons 14, 16, and 19.
The fact that there's no S20 Ep14 in the Extras page is indeed confusing, but to the best of my knowledge, episode numbers in our listings should always be consecutive without gaps, as they represent the ordinal number of each broadcast within the time frame of the season. With that in mind, "Marcos Doesn't Live Here Anymore" should definitely not be Episode 20, as it aired between the fourteenth and sixteenth episodes of the season. Whether or not it should be in the Specials season I feel less strongly about, but it stands to reason that if PBS considers it a regular episode (labeling it S20 Ep20), we should also consider it a regular episode (despite being a joint production with Frontline). Also worth considering is the fact that it aired on the same weekday as previous and subsequent episodes of Independent Lens aired this season (and I'm assuming in the same timeslot?).
ktulu666

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:59 am

Yeah, i agree with your points. I only referenced the Extras section because PBS removed them from Episodes once they weren't allowed to show them - happens at some point with these Independent Lens and POV movies. So I think everything with Season 20 is good as is then. Thanks again!