[DUPE] Umineko no Naku Koro ni & When Seagulls Cry

All completed requests go in here. This way we can clean our main forums, but still have this stuff show up in search.
Forum rules
PLEASE REFRAIN FROM REPLYING TO POSTS IN THIS SECTION DAYS/WEEKS/MONTHS AFTER THE FACT!
If you believe that you need to have a change fulfilled immediately, please start a new topic.

We do not actively check threads for replies as they are considered to be over and done with once they are moved here.
If you have a valid reason to reiterate an issue already covered in such a thread, please post a new topic in the appropriate area of the forum.
theFingerofGod

[DUPE] Umineko no Naku Koro ni & When Seagulls Cry

Postby theFingerofGod » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:39 am

All,

It seems that we have another dupe caused by translation. Both "Umineko no Naku Koro ni" (102361) and "When Seagulls Cry" (101981) are the same show I believe. At least this is what anidb.com says:

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?sh ... e&aid=6051

Not sure how you guys resolve this (do you prefer the Japanese rōmaji or the anglicized naming convention?).

theFingerofGod

Re: [DUPE] Umineko no Naku Koro ni & When Seagulls

Postby theFingerofGod » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:52 am

Bump!

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Re: [DUPE] Umineko no Naku Koro ni & When Seagulls Cry

Postby hikaricore » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:29 pm

Sorry this is so late, but I've locked the duplicate.
If you could be so kind as to move any useful info from the dupe to the original entry that would be a great help.

theFingerofGod

Postby theFingerofGod » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:55 am

I will try and get on that in a day or two!

purposelycryptic

Postby purposelycryptic » Thu May 20, 2010 10:20 am

Hi,

Now that the "Umineko no Naku Koro ni" entry has been locked as a dupe, is there any way we can get the "When Seagulls Cry" renamed, if only for consistency's sake, since it is part of a series of releases, namely Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (79682), Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai (80322), Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni Rei (97321), all based on visual novels created by the same group. They all have good reasons for being in romanji as well, namely, there is no good way of translating the titles (The first show roughly translates to "When the Cicadas cry", which sort of works, but the next one would be "When the Cicadas cry answer", or something similarly strange-sounding. "When Seagulls Cry" is pretty bad either way, the only show of the series to have been dubbed into english is "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni", which was aired as "Higurashi: When they Cry", so if we could go with the dub naming-convention it should be "Umineko: When They Cry", otherwise just stick with the Romanji.

Sorry to rez an old thread on my first post, I'm organizing my Anime collection for 7MC, and this is where my metadata comes from, just got to this series, and I'd really rather not butcher my filenames. I figured it would be better to post here than start a new thread. Anyways, thanks for listening.

purposelycryptic

Request for Series Name Change - When Seagulls Cry

Postby purposelycryptic » Mon May 24, 2010 5:31 pm

This is in regard to the show "When Seagulls Cry" (101981), which I believe should be renamed to the official title, "Umineko no Naku Koro ni":

I realize from the Stickies that there is obviously a lot of anime-editing happening, but this show is really in need of a name change, badly. Since the show was mentioned in a previous thread ( [DUPE] Umineko no Naku Koro ni & When Seagulls Cry ) because of a dupe issue, I tried bringing it up there, but I guess it was too old.

Anyways, to repeat what I mentioned there, the show had a dupe, which was locked, but which actually used the only official title, "Umineko no Naku Koro ni" (See "Umineko no naku koro ni" (2009) at IMDb). The name "When Seagulls Cry" was taken from the unofficial title synonym list on anidb.net, which is a list of rough fan translations and abbreviations. There is no official english title, as no company has licensed it for release in the US as yet.

To make matters worse, the show is part of a series of releases all based on visual novels created by the same creator, Ryukishi07, namely "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni" (79682), "Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai" (80322), "Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni Rei" (97321), only the first of which has seen an international release, under the title "When They Cry" in the US, and "When They Cry: Higurashi" elsewhere (See "Higurashi no naku koro ni" (2006) at IMDb).

None of the titles translate well into english (The first show roughly translates to "When the Cicadas cry", which does works, but the second series would be "When the Cicadas cry answer", or something similarly strange. Considering "Umineko no Naku Koro ni" is not only the official title of the show, but also fits into the existing naming convention of the series creator's other works, i believe it is reasonable to request the show be renamed from the fan-translation title "When Seagulls Cry".

This is my first time posting here (Well, second if you count my original post in that dead thread.), so I apologize in advance if this was not the appropriate first step in making this type of request, or if I posted in the wrong place, or anything like that (I read the Stickies and checked the Wiki, I swear!). I hope it will be given due consideration. Also, thanks to the Mods and Admins for putting up with us Anime nuts :)

hikaricore
Gaius Baltar

Postby hikaricore » Mon May 24, 2010 5:36 pm

I merged your post here for a reason, do not simply delete and recreate it again.
The series is listed on ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... p?id=10168) with the alternate title When the Seagulls Cry.
I'd trust it more than imdb for such things, but I'm not really familiar with the series so I'll let someone else deal with it.

purposelycryptic

Postby purposelycryptic » Tue May 25, 2010 2:34 pm

I didn't realize you had merged it, just happened to have had a tab open to this thread while typing it, and figured I might have accidentally have posted it in the wrong place: Hence, delete & repost. Without any notification, who's to know?

The alternate titles on ANN are similar to those on AniDB, i.e. unofficial translations (The other alternate title for the show is When They Cry 3, for example, despite not having any real relation to the first two outside of having the same creator). Like I mentioned previously, the show has no actual English title, since it has yet to be brought to any English-speaking country. Also (And I can't think of a way of saying this without sounding like an ass, so my apologies), Alternate Title is Alternate.

I still believe the show should be renamed, if only for the very simple reason that, like stated previously, every show based on this creator's works, aside from this one, follows the same naming convention, both officially and on TheTVDb. Four out of the five words in the titles are even identical. This one simply stands out like a sore thumb, not to mention that the current title makes it next to impossible for anyone who has an interest in the show to find: The only reason I was even able to find it was because of the link inside the locked dupe with the correct title. So I'm pretty sure that once that gets deleted, it will only be a matter of time before someone tries to find it, fails, and creates another dupe.

Anyway, I hope whomever else gets to deal with it changes it to the official title, if only so that people can actually find it. At the moment though, between the randomly merged series and naming issues, it's actually become slightly faster, and vastly less frustrating, to manually put together my own metadata for my anime collection, so don't worry on my part. I realize this thing requires a massive amount of horribly frustrating work to keep remotely organized, so big props to you all, and best wishes for the future.