GetSeries API Search Issue

A place for developers to advertise their TheTVDB.com enabled app and get help from other developers with the API.
Alanoll

Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:00 pm

Hey Guys,

I've finally got the time to go back through my series, and try to update all the file names/episode names of everything.
I'm using a custom compile of a program named MediaRenamer (I added a few things), and it's having an issue with retrieving the proper series from the GetSeries API.

Series Name: My-Otome

Here's the two respective search queries made to TheTVDB:

Code: Select all

http://www.thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?seriesname=My-Otome&language=all
http://www.thetvdb.com/?string=My-Otome&searchseriesid=&tab=listseries&function=Search
The website search appears to do a search across aliases as well, while the API does not. The API returns the result for the "duplicate" series, since it still has the name My-Otome, while the "real" entry's series name is Mai-Otome, with My-Otome listed as an alias.

Reading through forum posts, I've read hat the API search matches on whole words, and that would explain the search results if the API isn't searching aliases as well.

I guess I'm asking two different questions:
1. Are my assumptions on the two search approaches accurate?
2. Any ideas on how to work around it while still using the API searches?

I've thought of the following:
1. Renaming the series locally to Mai-Otome, but then it doesn't match My-Hime. (My-Hime is the oppposite in terms of naming on the site. My-Hime is the primary series title, while Mai-Hime is an alias)
2. Performing multiple searching through the API tokenizing the series titles based on word seperators (including symbols), and then collating the results. Still has the problem of not making an exact match because the GetSeries API doesn't return alias names. I could present the results for selection, but then I'm back to the Mai-Otome name instead of My-Otome :(

I've seen the posts about the site rewrites (and I remember making a suggestion about a style of versioning way back when), so if the current API would require changes, I doubt they'll be high up on the priority list (they wouldn't be on mine :) ). I'm just trying to work within the current one.
Coco
Site Admin

Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:11 pm

The on site search is different from the api search. The API does not make use of aliases, it will on the new site but we aren't planning to make any changes to the current one. What's most likely going to happen is the new site will use the same search as the API does now except with alias support added.

In the mean time if you're having trouble matching something the best solution is to just match it manually for the show you're having an issue with.
Please don't PM me. Post in the forums instead unless there is a very good reason for a PM or I won't respond.
Alanoll

Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:42 pm

Yeah, I didn't think there was much hope of getting the current API changed.

I guess my problem is that it finds one, just the wrong one. I'm hesitant to change the name of the "duplicate" just to suit my purposes. I've seen it done to other series, where they're returned as "DUPLICATE OF ######".

Is there a way to pull back the Alias names using the current API? I don't see it on the Wiki, but Wikis aren't always up to date.
Is there a list somewhere of the features that are hopeful for the new site? Just curious before I make a request and it's already on the list :P

Even if I were to match it manually, I'm back to the issue of Series Name vs Alias Name, and them not matching across sibling series. I don't know how XBMC handles it, though I'm suspecting it doesn't if Alias names aren't available through the API to begin with. Really, the naming is for my own sanity. I'm not sure on the site rules for consistency, since the two series I'm referencing are two distinct series, and the series do have all the right aliases and names right...just not consistent as to which is the main title and which is the alias.
Coco
Site Admin

Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:13 pm

I said it in my frist post. The API does not use aliases. Asking a second time won't change the answer. As for a feature list for the new site, no it hasn't been made yet.
Please don't PM me. Post in the forums instead unless there is a very good reason for a PM or I won't respond.
Alanoll

Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:38 pm

I said it in my frist post. The API does not use aliases. Asking a second time won't change the answer.
My mistake. I read that originally as the search functionality doesn't make use of Aliases, not that the API doesn't touch them at all (as in the possibility of returning the aliases when querying for a specific series, not by searching).

My fault for not phrasing my question clearly the second time. Guess I'll just have to hope it's on the feature list for the new site.