GetSeries.php and language

A place for developers to advertise their TheTVDB.com enabled app and get help from other developers with the API.
mikepelley

Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:05 pm

I have a question about the expected behaviour of GetSeries.php when using the language parameter (described here: http://thetvdb.com/wiki/index.php/API:GetSeries). I issued the following queries:
The first one returns one entry for the English translation of the show. The second one returns two entries - the French translation followed by the English translation. The third one returns two entries as well, Spanish and English.

Shouldn't I get one response to all three queries, and not get English episodes unless requested?

Thanks,
Mike.
szsori
Site Admin

Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:38 pm

Prior to returning multiple records we were returning just the requested language, but that reverted back to English when a translation wasn't available in the specified language. This was originally the expected behavior of that API. Obviously we started seeing cases where apps needed to know whether or not the text provided was really in the specified language or if it was defaulting back. To allow the most flexibility we chose to return both records separately. This is intended behavior until the new site's API is finished.
mikepelley

Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:49 am

Cool - thanks for the info! I guess that approach implies a bias towards English, but it's easy to ignore those entries if required.